Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 80509 times)
DMR

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 18:31:43 »

Good time to be a student really, with an interest-free overdraft and 2% loan etc, with a bit of luck when I come out things will be on the up again. Weird as I left the construction industry to go back to uni and that's an area that's really suffering, my position ceased to exist when I left so perhaps I was in the firing line.

Can't help but think some of you are being a bit naive though saying your job/company is safe, you've only got to look at some of the casualities that seemed to collapse out of the blue and usually those directly affected will be the last to know. Don't think anyone is 100% secure at the moment.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 18:34:16 »

I am extremely lucky. There have been job losses over here but none that I know of so far. I don't expect any bonus or pay rise of course but I am just happy to be employment earning a decent wage. I don't own a house or have any debts and own my car outright so if anything was to happen I would have a bit of loot to fall back on.

Of course I also enjoy the current weak pound against the Euro and petrol prices are as low as 0.85 cents a litre here!

I'm not stupid though, I work for a bank as a Fund Accountant so if things were to get worse I am not sure what would happen, although seemingly the Luxembourg Govt pay 80% of a monthly salary for the period of time in work. i.e if I was made redundant tomorrow I would get 80% of my salary for 2 years so a bit of security.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 18:52:06 »

I'm seriously thinking about learning a trade... they'll never be affected.

Until the next wave of immigrants arrive and under-cut you...

Oh, and I'm doing okay...for the time being.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 19:45:36 »

I moved House in November, got myself a real bargain. Still taken on a lot bigger mortgage but it's a lovely house, i do think about it not being the best time to move but sometimes you just have to go for it and not think about all the risks.

I work for the Local Council in Housing Benefits, we are absolutely overrun with work at the moment and it's getting busier every week. Sadly for us, the recession is bringing us more and more work.

No job is safe, Local Government is probably safer than most as they look after you well. I've been made redundant before (from a bank) and it's not nice.

Good luck with it Sussex (and anyone else in that position). Try to remain positive and just keep plugging away at agencies/companies etc. And get out and about. When i lost my job with the bank, the boredom got to me the most, don't sit around at home all day, it did my head in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 20:03:09 »

It's Birdy I feel sorry for, relocated from Abingdon and I've let her down

No you really haven't, not on the job front anyway Smiley.

There isn't anything you can do about what has happened and it isn't a failing on your part. You have to start looking forwards now.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 20:09:58 »

Well that was depressing. Signing away a career you've worked for since the age of twelve for xx grand. It's Birdy I feel sorry for, relocated from Abingdon and I've let her down.

I'm really struggling with this.

On the plus side I bought a jiffy bag to post DRS' dvd.

Let's all have a disco  Sad

Paul, I really don't know what to say. Its only natural to feel the way you do, but you couldn't have forseen the situation you are in now. And would that have made any difference?

Anyway, chin up fella, and if you need to chat, you know what to do.

Anyone want to come and work with me? Recruiting Project Managers and Systems Engineers at the moment (despite having to take a 25% staff cut over the next three years). You'll have to move to Brizzle though......
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 20:12:14 »

You'll have to move to Brizzle though......

I was interested until this bit.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 07:38:33 »

Haha, I don't believe you.....

In all seriousness though, if anybody is interested in a technical based Project Management or Systems Engineering career, PM me and I'll send you the link to the recruitment website which gives details on the posts, qualifcations etc. necessary - I don't want to post the link on an open forum. Campaign is open until 6 February. Just to confirm that the jobs are based in Bristol, but you really don't have to move......
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 08:42:29 »

What does it actually entail?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 08:54:46 »

Well that was depressing. Signing away a career you've worked for since the age of twelve for xx grand. It's Birdy I feel sorry for, relocated from Abingdon and I've let her down.

I'm really struggling with this.

On the plus side I bought a jiffy bag to post DRS' dvd.

Let's all have a disco  Sad

Hope this doesn't sound preachy, but you have to keep your chin up because you don't know what's around the corner.  I don't know your situation, but I very much doubt you have signed away your career at all - in much the same way that pretty much everyone affected by the early 1990s recession got back on their feet after a while.

I know it must all seem terminal at the moment but hopefully, once the shock has passed, you'll see that it isn't.  Like I said, I'm not trying to preach.  I'm far from confident of my own security, and hope I won't be needing to heed my own advice in the coming months.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 09:39:59 »

What does it actually entail?

I'm not prepared to disclose that information on open forum, but will happily send you a website via via PM if you are interested.
Sussex

« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 11:25:28 »

Hope this doesn't sound preachy, but you have to keep your chin up because you don't know what's around the corner.  I don't know your situation, but I very much doubt you have signed away your career at all - in much the same way that pretty much everyone affected by the early 1990s recession got back on their feet after a while.

I know it must all seem terminal at the moment but hopefully, once the shock has passed, you'll see that it isn't.  Like I said, I'm not trying to preach.  I'm far from confident of my own security, and hope I won't be needing to heed my own advice in the coming months.

I know you're right Ardiles, and knew it was coming six weeks ago. Just that now it's actually done I'm a bit lost and confidence is knocked for six. Give it a few days, I'll be right as rain.
DMR

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:07:03 »

I'm not prepared to disclose that information on open forum, but will happily send you a website via via PM if you are interested.

Haha, one minute you're touting it about the next you won't discuss it. Cock.
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:11:22 »

I don't wanna comment as I don't want to jinx myself. Anyone else feel like this?

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:14:34 »

In my industry, Food Retail, those in management positions in store are pretty secure.

Unfortunately, I'm not in store. If the recession bites, they will restructure field-based staff. Which usually means redundancies.

So no, I don't feel safe at all.

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: