Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Watford MOTD April 1979 Andy Rowland's goal  (Read 7056 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:19:33 »

Thanks Bedford.It was only Andy Rankin in goal for Watford that day,who kept the score respectable.

I don't suppose you've got Colin Prophett's late winner against Shrewsbury in 76, also on MOTD?

Unfortunately not, i'm always searching round for new stuff though so if i find that i'll pop it on here.

I did get footage recently of the 1970 5th round cup win against Scunthorpe, only 5 mins and in black and white but still good so when i get a sec i'll pop it on this site.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:21:16 »

Unfortunately not, i'm always searching round for new stuff though so if i find that i'll pop it on here.

I did get footage recently of the 1970 5th round cup win against Scunthorpe, only 5 mins and in black and white but still good so when i get a sec i'll pop it on this site.

I think Keegan scored for Scunny in that game? Shankly quickly signed him up.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
crystall Tips

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:21:22 »

Ha!  I don't believe you just posted this.  Fantastic.

It was that season I fell in love with the Town.   This game, maybe my favourite of all time, tho I have many others.

Also, I see Andy Rowland in Old Town all the time.  I don't know him particularly, but we say hello to each other.  I have never told him he was one of my idols when playing for the Town.  
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:25:14 »

He is a very nice bloke.
Always seems keen to talk football...looking back i am suprised no team came in for him when he was scoring for fun with Mayes.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:26:38 »

I don't suppose you've got Colin Prophett's late winner against Shrewsbury in 76, also on MOTD?

Shortest MOTD feature ever...highlights consisted of the KO.. half time whistle..and The Prof nodding in...
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:26:53 »

I think Keegan scored for Scunny in that game? Shankly quickly signed him up.

Trollope, Horsfield and Noble scored for us, apparantly N Cassidy scored for Scunthorpe according to this

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19700603
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:28:51 »

Wasn't there a match v Shrewsbury on the box that ended in a drab 0-0?
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:29:04 »

Trollope, Horsfield and Noble scored for us, apparantly N Cassidy scored for Scunthorpe according to this

Thanks for the correction.I believe Keegan played and they scored infront of the Town End,
in which some Scunny fans celebrated.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:36:03 »

Wasn't there a match v Shrewsbury on the box that ended in a drab 0-0?

It was so bad the BBC put on show jumping during MOTD and then the Town game against Shrewsbury.

Fortunately,a Colin Phrophett diving header won the game very,very late on.It wasn't a game to
be remembered.

The previous saturday, we got thumped at Elm Park 4- 1 in the pouring rain.Loads and loads of trouble that day at the ground and in the surrounding streets.We broke the gates down to get out of the away end.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:42:02 »

Remember that.....the battle of the milk float!
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 21:50:48 »

In the 70's there was a big crew from Newbury who used to follow the Town.I don't know if
Sutton Red knew any of them?

Although i was a young schoolboy at the time,every away match that i got to they seemed to be
there, whether it was at Bournemouth,West Ham (FA Cup) Crystal Palace,Aldershot,Pompey and
Reading, they were always there in force.

dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 22:00:24 »

24,612 there that day! bloody unthinkable now

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 22:05:57 »

24,612 there that day! bloody unthinkable now

"bloody unthinkable" 10/20/30 years ago....
SirWinston

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 22:40:53 »

Quality.  This was my first ever game (just short of my 6th birthday).  I was in the North Stand.  I remember seeing this on the Golden Goals video referred to and being a little bit disappointed to find out that my memory of Andy Rowland's goal was significantly more impressive than the reality!!  Nice finish though.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 14:02:32 »

Quality.  This was my first ever game (just short of my 6th birthday).  I was in the North Stand.  I remember seeing this on the Golden Goals video referred to and being a little bit disappointed to find out that my memory of Andy Rowland's goal was significantly more impressive than the reality!!  Nice finish though.

The first Swindon Town goal I witnessed was a Darren Beckford own goal. Consider yourself lucky!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: