Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Northampton Town official matchday thread  (Read 35741 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:35:44 »

He's just not a manager and he's blinded by his belief that this is the way football should be played.

because he doesn't know any other way and Power wants him to play that way.....

Clems Army!
Flashheart

« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:37:24 »

because he doesn't know any other way and Power wants him to play that way.....

Power wanted Ling to play that way, which he did, and he made it work.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:38:01 »

That's why I used the word 'Potential'

Fair enough....but I'm sure it won't have escaped Power's notice, that apart from Ajose, we got our fees on players in a relatively successful team.

It's obvious that this won't be a successful team, unless like me you regard staying up as success, and it's debatable if we'll manage that.

In theory it should be a bit easier to build a successful side in Div 4...the last time we were there we conceded 8 goals at the CG in a season, we've now managed 7 in 10 days.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:38:47 »

It worked (almost) under Cooper as well, the issue clearly isn't inherently the system - we'd be equally shit if we started hoofing it forward
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:42:59 »

I think fitness is an issue to be honest. The amount of injuries we've had since the start of last season is ridiculous, and whilst some are bad luck (ie, Doughty having complications with appendicitis) the amount of muscles going suggests they aren't fit enough. We can't play twice a week.

Our style would suit a high pressing game (this is what Ling did) but we don't have the legs to do it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:58:02 »

It seems the general consensus is that it's time for Luke to go....so who to come in. Power obviously won't employ a proper old skool boss, so it cuts down the field.

Paul Trollope should be available soon, and as far as I know is still Highworth based, so handy for the new training ground.

Seems happy enough just to do the coaching and leave recruitment to the DoF.....could probably work with Luke if he wants to stay on in his previous role.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:00:08 »

It worked (almost) under Cooper as well, the issue clearly isn't inherently the system - we'd be equally shit if we started hoofing it forward
We had a shit load of goals and some genuine quality in that team which allowed us to score more than we concede. Without these goals our defensive frailties are a major issue and as we aren't really scoring it puts even more pressure on an already questionable back line. If you aren't scoring you need to be solid at the back, if you aren't scoring and are woeful at the back then you are in big trouble. I don't see where we are going to magically find goals so the only option is to make us more solid at the back and go back to basics.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:05:47 »

It seems the general consensus is that it's time for Luke to go....so who to come in. Power obviously won't employ a proper old skool boss, so it cuts down the field.

Paul Trollope should be available soon, and as far as I know is still Highworth based, so handy for the new training ground.

Seems happy enough just to do the coaching and leave recruitment to the DoF.....could probably work with Luke if he wants to stay on in his previous role.
Tim Sherwood would be an obvious choice given how close he is to Power - that would allow Williams to go back to polishing those lower league turds whilst the manager would be in control of tactics etc.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:12:25 »

Tim Sherwood would be an obvious choice given how close he is to Power - that would allow Williams to go back to polishing those lower league turds whilst the manager would be in control of tactics etc.
Power has said several times that Sherwood is not interested in managing us and he also stated there is no way we could afford to pay what he wants.

Whether this is spiel or genuine we will find out, but Sherwood was not even remotely interested when Ling left but job offers have not been thick on the ground for Sherwood so he may be temped even in a caretaker role allowing Williams to get back to coaching.

I do think we badly need work on our fitness though, work is definately needed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:15:06 »

Somehow just think Sherwood thinks he can do better than us....he's watched us a fair bit this season, probably enough to put off potential managers who aren't desperate.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:22:36 »

No thanks to Tim Sherwood.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:24:56 »

So do tactics and formations matter or not?

Anyway, we have individuals who are good enough for this level who just need a system that suits them and a manager who can get them to play as a team, it's becoming a common theme that watching us seems like watching 11 people who haven't even met before let alone trained together. It isn't rocket science and that's the most frustrating thing about it all.
Sorry, the point re: formation got a bit lost.

Yes, the formation matters relative to the players.

My first post was made after someone said (and I paraphrase) it isn't the formation we won the league in 95/96 with 352.

Well, because we won the league 20 years ago with 352 in no way means we should be able to win this league again just by playing 352. It isn't rock, paper, scissors...352 beats 442 beats 433 beats 352...in that aspect the formation doesn't win you games.

Add the formation in with the players and you have to find a solution that suites everyone. A formation for the players we have. Similarly XI playing 352 and losing won't automatically win if we switch to 442.

It would appear we don't have the players for 352, so what do we have the players for? That's up to the manager to work out (or it should be)

Changing formation won't automatically instantly change our results but then playing the same formation that isn't work certainly won't change the results!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:27:36 »

Our style would suit a high pressing game (this is what Ling did) but we don't have the legs to do it.

I wonder whether Power doesn't like the high press as he sees it as rudimentary? 

Liverpool do it to huge effect, as do Spurs.  Liverpool for example have the highest number of passes, shots and tackles, I think was the stat at the weekend, and are second in most other aspects of the game in the Prem.  Barcelona have hunted in packs for years and they're the pinnacle in Power's eyes one would assume.

Something doesn't add up with regards to this in my opinion.
Flashheart

« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:31:08 »

I wonder whether Power doesn't like the high press as he sees it as rudimentary? 

He didn't seem to mind it when Ling was here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:35:22 »

Sorry, the point re: formation got a bit lost.

Yes, the formation matters relative to the players.

My first post was made after someone said (and I paraphrase) it isn't the formation we won the league in 95/96 with 352.

Well, because we won the league 20 years ago with 352 in no way means we should be able to win this league again just by playing 352. It isn't rock, paper, scissors...352 beats 442 beats 433 beats 352...in that aspect the formation doesn't win you games.

Add the formation in with the players and you have to find a solution that suites everyone. A formation for the players we have. Similarly XI playing 352 and losing won't automatically win if we switch to 442.

It would appear we don't have the players for 352, so what do we have the players for? That's up to the manager to work out (or it should be)

Changing formation won't automatically instantly change our results but then playing the same formation that isn't work certainly won't change the results!

But we've acquired the players to play a possession based 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1.

However, we are proper fucked at the back, the loss of JSW, who was starting to make a bit of progress and now Jones, has left a lot on Branco's plate and he's not fully fit yet, after summer op and pre-season injury, so he's struggling. Last season we could have gone out and got an El-Abd for 3 months, this season we can't, so it's going to be difficult up to January, whoever takes charge.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: