Pages: 1 ... 2879 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 2885 ... 3981   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9089707 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #43215 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:13:00 »

As i've only followed the club really on the radio this past year and don't have ifollow. Can someone enlighten me of Odimayo's strengths and why he's been sought after?

Was he playing more central towards the end of last season or RB?
Last season was just a blur....A horrible horrible blur.
Back to transfer rumours soon as obviously.
Odimayo is tall, fast, can dribble and tackle, is not bad in the air but gets caught out positionally at times but come on in leaps and bounds last season, I think hes better at right back than CB but can easily fill in there too.

I also think he could do a job in holding midfield if needed as he can tackle and pass short and long.

Hes an all round defender that can do a bit of everything, sometimes gets caught up the pitch after going on a dribble but has the pace to get back quickly.

He is still fairly raw but has all the attributes to be a good player in the next couple of years at a higher level for sure.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kaufman

« Reply #43216 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:15:13 »

Odimayo is tall, fast, can dribble and tackle, is not bad in the air but gets caught out positionally at times but come on in leaps and bounds last season, I think hes better at right back than CB but can easily fill in there too.

I also think he could do a job in holding midfield if needed as he can tackle and pass short and long.

Hes an all round defender that can do a bit of everything, sometimes gets caught up the pitch after going on a dribble but has the pace to get back quickly.

He is still fairly raw but has all the attributes to be a good player in the next couple of years at a higher level for sure.

Perfect! Thanks. Back to the rumours.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #43217 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:19:16 »

I guess the difference with the normal transfer window, is you are looking to add 1 or 2 quality players that can make the difference (think Yates & Doyle), at the moment we are still trying to build a full squad (we look to have a decent 11, but not a lot behind that).

That said, it's no good taking the Di Canio approach of signing as many players as possible, binning them off & getting new ones in
Peter Venkman

« Reply #43218 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:24:11 »

That said, it's no good taking the Di Canio approach of signing as many players as possible, binning them off & getting new ones in
I don't think we will ever be able to afford the PdC scatter gun approach again TBH.

Every player will be scouted fully or maybe a risk if a highly rated youngster becomes available.

Cheltenham have a good player on trial who I wish we would go for, Dan Crowley the ex Arsenal and Brum midfield playmaker still only 23 released by the blues in the Summer when we played against him in a friendly 2 years ago he tore us a new one when Brum beat us 6-1, best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Hes way too good for Cheltenham but then again they are in a league higher than us now, however weird that sounds they will be a bigger draw wage wise probably too.

Flashheart

« Reply #43219 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:24:47 »

Do the ‘rules and norms’ of windows past apply now?

Why wouldn't they?

Provided we have the budget (and the umbungo is lifted soon), what is to stop the players we want from signing with us? Asides from the usual reasons, that is.

We are no longer a basket case of a club. We're now (hopefully) well run, albeit with some stuff still left to sort out.

And we're already close to having a good first XI
« Last Edit: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:28:26 by Flashheart » Logged
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #43220 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:36:16 »

I would be pleased with this, there is no guarantee that any new signing coming in would be better than Odimayo as hes a known quantity and for me looked our best young player last season.

There is no doubt at all that we need creative players and at least one more striker, we can't rely on Simpson and Parsons but thats obvious and I am 100% certain that Garner/Chorley/Clem can see that too and we will see several new faces before Saturdays 1st game.
Totally agree w/r/t Odimayo - One of the very few that I was would have been happy to keep from last year. The bit that gets me is why he wasn't offered something at Pompey? Frankly, I'm quite shocked at that.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #43221 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:43:08 »

The bit that gets me is why he wasn't offered something at Pompey? Frankly, I'm quite shocked at that.
The only thing I can think of is that they were sailing close to their wage budget and had enough young defenders coming through.

With teams like Sheff Weds, Preston and Stoke looking at him too I will be very happy if he stays.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #43222 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:45:56 »

I don't think we will ever be able to afford the PdC scatter gun approach again TBH.

Every player will be scouted fully or maybe a risk if a highly rated youngster becomes available.

Cheltenham have a good player on trial who I wish we would go for, Dan Crowley the ex Arsenal and Brum midfield playmaker still only 23 released by the blues in the Summer when we played against him in a friendly 2 years ago he tore us a new one when Brum beat us 6-1, best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Hes way too good for Cheltenham but then again they are in a league higher than us now, however weird that sounds they will be a bigger draw wage wise probably too.
You might get your wish!

Cheltenham have 'parted ways' with him. His agent wanted too much money, so they have 'wished him well'.

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #43223 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:47:12 »

Crowley is going to Derby i think
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #43224 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:48:28 »

Why wouldn't they?

Provided we have the budget (and the umbungo is lifted soon), what is to stop the players we want from signing with us? Asides from the usual reasons, that is.

We are no longer a basket case of a club. We're now (hopefully) well run, albeit with some stuff still left to sort out.

And we're already close to having a good first XI

Are we close to having a good first XI?

I guess that depends what people think the problems were last season. No doubt Sheridan contributed to the poor play on the pitch but I’m not suddenly expecting Hunt & Baudry & Lyden to suddenly revert back to the players there were in Wellens first season.

I’m not convinced Conroy will ever stay fit.
I’d argue we still need a whole new back line.

Nor am I convinced by Payne.

Keeper seems a decent addition based on what we saw from him last season and Gladwin is a decent signing. Other than...I’d like everyone else replaced.

skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #43225 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:50:41 »

Totally agree w/r/t Odimayo - One of the very few that I was would have been happy to keep from last year. The bit that gets me is why he wasn't offered something at Pompey? Frankly, I'm quite shocked at that.

I listen to wave 105 and they've very pro Pompey & Southampton and the breakfast presenters were very surprised they parted. Unsure however if he walked or they pushed him.
MCRRed

Ignore
« Reply #43226 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:56:04 »

New poster here. I've been reading this forum for a while and have really appreciated the updates and STFC chat as it can be difficult to stay on top of it up norf!

On the current squad, I think last season should be written off as no-one performed, and Grant's apparent performances in pre-season hopefully show that. I think a core midfield of Payne, Gladwin and Grant (if he signs) would be potentially one of the best in the league. We need strengthening up top with an experienced proven striker so all the pressure isn't on Simpson, and out wide as we have no-one currently who is of the quality we need (I can't comment on McKirdy as I haven't seen him but the reactions have been mixed). I think a backline of Iandolo, Conroy (if he stays fit), Odimayo (if he stays) and Hunt is strong enough too. There are a lot of variables and we obviously need to strengthen to have any sort of squad depth, but I don't think we're too far away from a competitive first XI.

See you all at Scunthorpe!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #43227 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 11:06:23 »

Crowley is going to Derby i think
He is way too good for L2.

Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #43228 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 11:20:15 »

At the moment, we're pinning our hopes on Conroy, Baudry, Iandolo, Lyden and, to an extent, Hunt staying fit. That's a hell of a gamble given their past records and Lyden's already 'wobbled'.  I'm sure the two Bens are alert to this, though.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #43229 on: Monday, August 2, 2021, 11:22:47 »

I listen to wave 105 and they've very pro Pompey & Southampton and the breakfast presenters were very surprised they parted. Unsure however if he walked or they pushed him.
They have bought Ogilvie, who is a LB/CB. Maybe they wanted cover on that side rather than the right?

Pages: 1 ... 2879 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 2885 ... 3981   Go Up
Print
Jump to: