Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marlborough.  (Read 2534 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 19, 2013, 12:04:41 »

A very brief investigation would suggest that the 'walking from Andover to Swindon' thing may have been an urban myth. Fleming's parents it would appear, moved from Andover to Swindon when he was a kid and he went to school in Swindon and worked at the GWR works whilst the parents owned a butcher's shop in Market Street.

I'm still going to choose to believe it nonetheless.

What do you reckon Reg?

I'd have thought a pre match walk from Andover would be pushing it, especially when you could get a train up to OT. 

Alfred Williams used to walk daily to and from his cottage in South Marston to The Works. In his book he tells the story of fellow worker, who did a similar daily hike, but in a spell of wet and cold weather like we've just had, got a few too many soakings and died.

There's a few decent routes from Marlborough to Swindon....the best is to use the old railway to near Ogbourne St George, then veer off for Southend, then follow the Ridgeway Path up to Barbury, drop down the hill and hop over the fence, to the path for Overtown Farm....follow the lane round to the right, although you can drop down to Wroughton if desired  by going straight on, which brings you out by Halcrow up at Brimble Hill... tiny bit of road walking leads to the top of Ladder Lane, follow that down to Piper's Way, cross into the Great Copse, then out by Intel and back on the old railway which leads up to the side of The Wheatsheaf
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 19, 2013, 14:52:29 »

No one in Marlborough is poor....but hang on in my opinion the Town is a lot poorer for building this monstrosity.

Just my opinion let me make that clear......oh and they are building a Waitrose at Wichelstowe,so it cannot be that bad to shop at.

Mr leef, are you from the Marlborough? Assume you're referring to the fiasco with planning permission being allowed for the 'business park' only for it to sit empty for five years and cllrs allowing new uses (tescos) which will impact on existing retail in the high street area

Marlborough isn't as posh as people make out, but its a cracking town to grow up in. Plenty of decent boozers that actively encouraged under aged drinking (might be different now). Decent muff compared to other places I've lived.  Always fancied moving back if I found myself in the shire again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: