Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Rochdale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 56044 times)
Lumps

« Reply #480 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 17:30:49 »

Wasn't iffy sacked too?

Iffy was a caretaker to the end of the season. No need to sack him.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 17:47:13 »

Iffy was a caretaker to the end of the season. No need to sack him.

My understanding is that Iffy Onuora was officially our manager.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 17:49:17 »

My understanding is that Iffy Onuora was officially our manager.
He was but I think Lumps is right in that his contract to do so only ran until the end of the season. So in that regard, he wasn't sacked, he was parted company with
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 18:37:40 »

Christ! People don't like facts to get in the way of a line of argument do they? Read that and it sounds like Swindon are positively QPR-like in their approach to team management.

In fact, in the five year period you talk about, we've had five full time managers, only two of which were sacked, Malpas and King. Ignore the 5 month hiatus for the Terry Brady inspired ludicrous flirtation with Roy Evans, and Andy King was given over 4 years in charge of the team.

Which leaves Malpas, who was clearly a mistake. Anyone think he should have been given more time? .... Thought not.

Hardly a history of chopping a changing and sacking managers at the drop of a hat is it?

And your David Moyes comparison is just fucking stupid. Moyes manages a club that has been closer to the bottom than the top of their league for transfer funds available and wage bill. We're easily in the top 5 or 6 richest clubs in our league.
Do think Moyes would have survived the couple of seasons just avoiding relegation at Liverpool, Chelsea or even Spurs?

For this league we spent a proper chunk of money in the summer and more in the window, and are only outside the relegation zone because Tranmere can't seem to get through 90 minutes of football at the moment.

We still have had eight different managers in ten years! It's not worked has it?

I don't think a club can be successful if it changes managers often, I really don't.

You have to build, have patience and ride the bad times. Stability is key.

If you have a good league manager like Wilson you have to have faith in him.

STFC-4-LIFE

« Reply #484 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:09:42 »

We still have had eight different managers in ten years! It's not worked has it?

I don't think a club can be successful if it changes managers often, I really don't.

You have to build, have patience and ride the bad times. Stability is key.

If you have a good league manager like Wilson you have to have faith in him.

How good a manager is Wilson though?

You've got to look at his record and see it's very up and down, Ok he got Barnsley promoted to the Premierleague and got Hartlepool promoted from League Two.

However he bottled it bigtime at City and failed to get them promotion several times.

He took Barnsley and Wednesday down as well as Franchise.

He's never got a team out of this league, When it comes to the big occasions he bottles them that's what his history shows, Good enough manager for quite a few teams in this league but he's always bottled it when it comes to the crunch and looking at the Play-Off Final you can safely say he bottled it again, We were absolutely awful and didn't show up!

I'm not saying he's a totally shit manager but he isn't that good either, There's better around.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:11:29 by STFC-4-THE-MOMENT » Logged
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:44:31 »

How good a manager is Wilson though?

You've got to look at his record and see it's very up and down, Ok he got Barnsley promoted to the Premierleague and got Hartlepool promoted from League Two.

However he bottled it bigtime at City and failed to get them promotion several times.

He took Barnsley and Wednesday down as well as Franchise.

He's never got a team out of this league, When it comes to the big occasions he bottles them that's what his history shows, Good enough manager for quite a few teams in this league but he's always bottled it when it comes to the crunch and looking at the Play-Off Final you can safely say he bottled it again, We were absolutely awful and didn't show up!

I'm not saying he's a totally shit manager but he isn't that good either, There's better around.

To be fair to Wilson at Barnsley he took them up and tbh honest getting relegated with Barnsley from the Premier League isn't really a failure is it? With Franchise he was with them at at time where they were still in transition and still at the old ground. He kept them up the previous season but couldn't manage it again.

He did well at City even though they didn't get promoted, they got to the Play-Offs 2 years running.

He's by and large a good manager, whether you think Swindon could get somebody better is your opinion. Personally I don't.
Spencer_White

« Reply #486 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:48:42 »

Managers don't bottle it, players do.

With maybe 1 exception, Kevin Keegan.
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:53:19 »

even if he manages to keep us up i still think he should go
Spencer_White

« Reply #488 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 19:56:16 »

If he manages to keep us up then we will challenge for the league next year.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:07:40 »

Agreed. I see no reason why we can't.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:16:59 »

he's always bottled it when it comes to the crunch and looking at the Play-Off Final you can safely say he bottled it again, We were absolutely awful and didn't show up!
I don't think you can safely say that at all. In fact, I'm struggling to think how a manger could "bottle it" for a one-off final, unless you're suggesting he hid in the laundry basket and refused to come out? You can argue the players bottled it and that the manager didn't do enough to prepare/inspire them, but to say a manager bottled an individual game just seems ludidcrous
Barry Scott

« Reply #491 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:23:17 »

You know what, I think the biggest single thing that has made the difference between this season and last is 2 words and rhymes with Moredon Beer.

When I think back to the occasions we were not that great last year, even ropey, weak and seeming to lack fight, him being missing was a often the common denominator. It pains me to say it and I struggle to completely understand why, but I believe it to now be true.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:28:19 »

You know what, I think the biggest single thing that has made the difference between this season and last is 2 words and rhymes with Moredon Beer.

When I think back to the occasions we were not that great last year, even ropey, weak and seeming to lack fight, him being missing was a often the common denominator. It pains me to say it and I struggle to completely understand why, but I believe it to now be true.

Spot on. You build from the back. Defensively we've been shocking this year. We have scored more than enough to be at least in the top 6.

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:30:16 »

that has been evident since august.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 20:30:44 »

I laughed out loud when I read this.

I dont think we'll challenge for the league under Wilson, even less so when we wont spend money on experienced players. Just young players to sell on, I already expect Matt Ritchie to have been sold on by this time next year.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: