Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Trust is a very valuable commodity for Robins  (Read 15373 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #60 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:13:41 »

What he said!

Is there any scope to combine the Supporters Club and the Trust - not sure why we need both?

Going by this tweet, there appears to be some animosity between the 2:

Sam Morshead ‏@SamMorshead_SA  45m
Just received a phone call suggesting my column today showed bias towards Trust ahead of Supporters' Club. Sigh.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:20:36 »

Perhaps the Trust could look at working together or alongside the Supporters Club in some way to help raise their profile within the club ?
I think they fulfil different functions - the SC does a great job of fundraising as you say, the recent purchase of the fitness monitoring system being a superb example of that, but has always had an explicit policy of uncritical support of the club, which is probably about right for a Supporters' Club and also probably necessary for them to keep engaged with the club so they can fulfil their main function. Whereas the Trust is more about providing supporters with a (sometimes critical) voice within (or sometimes from outside) the club.

If you mix the two, you run the risk that the newly merged SC/Trust wouldn't want to make criticisms that perhaps need making for fear of jeopardising a long-running fundraising effort for example. Or that it didn't hold back and so did scupper a fundraising or other "non-political" initiative.

I think they both fulfil an important role within the life of the club and we need both, personally.
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:26:11 »

So then I shouldn't voice my opinion?

Bollocks to that

Not at all Flashheart - you can say what you want.....

But don't go disagreeing with me for having an opinion on what you say - that was exactly your point Smiley

Wise men say........
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:28:26 »

Actually, the relationship between the two is pretty good. The Chair of the Trust, Steve Mytton has known Roger Bunce, the chair of the SC for a number of years.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
sheepshagger

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:31:37 »

I think they fulfil different functions - the SC does a great job of fundraising as you say, the recent purchase of the fitness monitoring system being a superb example of that, but has always had an explicit policy of uncritical support of the club, which is probably about right for a Supporters' Club and also probably necessary for them to keep engaged with the club so they can fulfil their main function. Whereas the Trust is more about providing supporters with a (sometimes critical) voice within (or sometimes from outside) the club.

If you mix the two, you run the risk that the newly merged SC/Trust wouldn't want to make criticisms that perhaps need making for fear of jeopardising a long-running fundraising effort for example. Or that it didn't hold back and so did scupper a fundraising or other "non-political" initiative.

I think they both fulfil an important role within the life of the club and we need both, personally.

I think the old way of thinking is that they serve completely different functions personally

I think a slightly more grown up way of thinking might be to in some way put the two forces together for the good of the Club - not the good of who owns the club.

I'm pretty sure the SC aims are to help the club - whoever is in charge
I'm pretty sure the Trusts aims are to help the club - dependant on who is in charge

Right now we are in a situation where the Trust has absolutely thrown it's weight behind Power & Co.  Likewise the SC are doing the same.

Nothing to stop (IMO) the two working together with an understanding that if a sheister comes in and takes over with aims that the Trust disagree with then they could peel away and do what needs to be done.

In the meantime you possibly have a situation where the Trust can prosper utilising the SC's contacts and the fact that they are far more engrained into the club than the Trust....

Wise men say........
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:33:49 »

Or there are irrational idiots out there who just like to complain. As Summer says, I understand the relationship between those running the two groups is good.
Flashheart

« Reply #66 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:36:04 »

Furry muff. It's just how it seemed from the tweet.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:36:41 »

I have no particularly strong positive or negative feelings regarding the Trust, probably because I haven’t taken as much of an interest in them as I should have done.

What I am very confused about though is why I haven’t ever paid out a measly £1 to join?  Not exactly a major expense.  I can’t ever remember being approached before a home game to join or seeing much of a recruitment campaign on a game day (im sure there has been and i was oblivious to it).  So I would definitely recommend to the Trust that they embark on a recruitment drive before the first 2 or 3 home games this season.  There are probably plenty of idle buggers like me who just “never got round” to joining.

I shall be joining today btw
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:46:47 »

Reading that, I found myself agreeing with you wholeheartedly.  And then I realised it's pretty much the same, word for word, as something I wrote myself on a different thread just over a year ago.   Grin

The two bodies are there to do different things.  As the name suggests, the Supporters' Club is there to support - raise funds, organise away trips, sell raffle tickets and provide a voice for supporters.  The Trust's remit is all together different.  They are there to challenge and scrutinise the incumbent owners of the Club, ensuring (or seeking to ensure) that decisions are being taken in the best interests of the Club and its supporters.

The meeting last night would have been a more natural territory for the Trust - and you would expect the Trust representatives to be more guarded I suppose.  But both bodies have their purpose.  Ultimately, they both want the Club to succeed...and we're better off for having them both.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:01:28 »

Reading that, I found myself agreeing with you wholeheartedly.  And then I realised it's pretty much the same, word for word, as something I wrote myself on a different thread just over a year ago.   Grin
I am forever building on the shoulders of giants Smiley

Which reminds me, the best summary I've seen recently of the Trust's function was to be a "critical friend" (was that you as well?), the one who'll tell you yes your bum does look big in that, and no, skintight lycra is not a flattering look on a 40+ bloke, and no you are not "getting away with it". Whereas the Supporters' Club is probably the mate who just grins and says "Yeah, you're doing great, mate" and defends you against all comers even if you are being a twat. We all need both at times.

And ss, yes, not a bad shout, if you're talking about formal cooperation rather than a full merger. The two have done that before - e.g. the Red Army Fund started out as a joint initiative.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #70 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:03:45 »

Genuine question, given that it only costs a pound, what would it take to change your mind?

I don't think the Trust would benefit if I re-joined....I'm just not interested in being involved. If that changed I would join up again.
sheepshagger

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:04:48 »

Definitely not a full merger - just some formal cooperation which could help both sides maybe.....

Wise men say........
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:07:29 »

Which reminds me, the best summary I've seen recently of the Trust's function was to be a "critical friend" (was that you as well?), the one who'll tell you yes your bum does look big in that, and no, skintight lycra is not a flattering look on a 40+ bloke, and no you are not "getting away with it". Whereas the Supporters' Club is probably the mate who just grins and says "Yeah, you're doing great, mate" and defends you against all comers even if you are being a twat. We all need both at times.

Possibly(!)  It was a phrase I heard used recently about the role of a school governor...and thought it was just as apt for the Trust.

Edit: Brilliant analogy, by the way.   Grin
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:12:41 by Ardiles » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #73 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:30:47 »

Is there a place for me?

I just want to watch football.

Is that allowed?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 14:36:39 »

Were the trust involved in the loud and proud thing?

Most of the Trust membership from about a decade ago, migrated to my thriving Quiet and Ashamed group.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: