Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Trust is a very valuable commodity for Robins  (Read 15379 times)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:11:57 »

I have been reading for 3 years what they want to achieve,i get what they are trying to do i really do and i am not have snide digs at them it just seems they are doing the same thing over and over again with no real result

I think that is a problem of having such significant and long-term objectives - they can't realistically deliver these things without years of effort - if not decades in the case of some. Some might not ever be possible. Short-term stuff, such as fundraising is surely best left to the Supporters' Club? (although the Trust did deliver the ACV)

It must be a tricky message to get across - especially to a fan base which is often cynical at best.

Disclosure: I am a Trust member.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:16:30 »

It's easy to have a pop from the sidelines.  Less easy to stick your neck out and fight for something you believe in.  For that reason alone, I have enormous respect for those who are having a go at making a positive difference for the club.

No-one is beyond criticism - and I think (as Sam's article alludes to) those running the Trust appreciate the mistakes of the past.  You have to start somewhere.

But most important of all, the need for having a body of fans who collectively scrutinise the dealings of those currently running the club and hold it to account is surely as clear as it can ever be...given the ridiculous saga we have just emerged from.  Regardless of how effective you think the Trust is at the moment, surely we must all now understand that there is a need for independent scrutiny by the fans?

The instinct of anyone who cares about the club should be to applaud those who want to do something - and, if they think that things could or should be done better - get involved themselves and make a change for the better.  Taking pot shots from the sidelines at people who have actually pulled their finger out and tried to do something constructive achieves fuck all.
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:20:13 »

It's easy to have a pop from the sidelines.  Less easy to stick your neck out and fight for something you believe in.  For that reason alone, I have enormous respect for those who are having a go at making a positive difference for the club.

No-one is beyond criticism - and I think (as Sam's article alludes to) those running the Trust appreciate the mistakes of the past.  You have to start somewhere.

But most important of all, the need for having a body of fans who collectively scrutinise the dealings of those currently running the club and hold it to account is surely as clear as it can ever be...given the ridiculous saga we have just emerged from.  Regardless of how effective you think the Trust is at the moment, surely we must all now understand that there is a need for independent scrutiny by the fans?

The instinct of anyone who cares about the club should be to applaud those who want to do something - and, if they think that things could or should be done better - get involved themselves and make a change for the better.  Taking pot shots from the sidelines at people who have actually pulled their finger out and tried to do something constructive achieves fuck all.

So then nobody should voice their opinion unless it's positive?
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:25:35 »

Flash,

Join, I'll pay your quid for you, that way, you'll get updates from them direct to your inbox and you can reply and tell them what they should be doing better. Will take less time than you've spent posting on this thread alone.

As a wider point the Trust know they need to do more in terms of 'action' and I think we'll soon see more tangible results. The whole argument can seem a bit chicken and egg, the more members they have the more they can achieve, however some won't join until they've achieved something.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:32:53 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:25:43 »

Not at all.

I think it's about making that criticism constructive.  Criticism that dismisses the whole effort and those who are trying to make a difference is, in my view, pointless and counterproductive.  Criticism that seeks to improve the situation (and recognises that people are actually aiming to make things better) is completely different...and welcome.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:26:38 »

No, but understand that your opinion is likely to be seen as unhelpful.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:27:29 »

I see both sides of the story, but irrelevant to that, it should be a no brainer that anyone who cares about STFC in any way shape or form should be a member and pay their £1.25.

With the summer we have just had that should be plain to see, love it or hate it the Trust is the only independant fans voice out there and we should build it up as much as possible so that we at least have a chance of another option should the worst happen and another shiester like Jed get his hands on the club.

I don't think a member of the trust should be on the board, but I would like to see the Trust build itself to a position that it could step in a run the club for a short period of time if Power walked away and we have no "fit and proper" buyers lined up.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:31:09 »

I think it's about making that criticism constructive.  Criticism that dismisses the whole effort and those who are trying to make a difference is, in my view, pointless and counterproductive.  Criticism that seeks to improve the situation (and recognises that people are actually aiming to make things better) is completely different...and welcome.

I don't have any constructive criticism. But that doesn't change my opinion that they are a wet-blanket, and I am entitled to voice that opinion. The trust are also entitled to try to change my opinion and "don't say bad things about us" will not cut it.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:35:53 »

Fair enough.  I just find that attitude very sad.  But each to their own.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:37:48 »

"don't say bad things about us" will not cut it.

That's not what anyone's saying though is it? We're saying 'Join and tell us how to do things better.'

As a broader point, the Trust aren't a bunch of politicians hoovering up huge expenses and salaries, they are a bunch of Town fans with the same family and work pressures as everyone else. Why not help them rather than immediately jump on the internet and say they are shit as soon as they are mentioned?
Flashheart

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:55:20 »

You want something constructive......

DO SOMETHING

I don't care what. Even putting up balloons and bunting on match-days would be a start. Just do something, ANYTHING, pro-active other than just releasing the occasional bland, impotent statement.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 09:57:03 »

Were the trust involved in the loud and proud thing?
DRS

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:01:45 »

Have you considered joining up and getting involved to try and achieve the sort of changes you'd like to see?
Yes i was a member for a few years
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:01:53 »

You want something constructive......

DO SOMETHING

I don't care what. Even putting up balloons and bunting on match-days would be a start. Just do something, ANYTHING, pro-active other than just releasing the occasional bland, impotent statement.

So, if say, you arrived at the County Ground for the Scunthorpe game to be met by a very visable Trust recruitment drive, you'd be willing to part with a pound then?
Flashheart

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:10:55 »

So, if say, you arrived at the County Ground for the Scunthorpe game to be met by a very visable Trust recruitment drive, you'd be willing to part with a pound then?

Not quite. I was thinking of something more altruistic toward the club, not the trust.

I was saying that if the trust was seen to be actually doing something pro-active to help the club/supporters, even something small, then I'd be more willing to part with my cash and be less critical. Not just once or twice either but on a consistent basis. You would surely benefit from recruiting additional members as a result.

The image that I get of the trust right now is a bunch of people that sit down, have the occasional chat and achieve nothing.  I think somebody said before that it's more like a political club than anything else. That's the impression that I get.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: