Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Ferry sets sail at the end of an era  (Read 16967 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:16:35 »

He's a young player who we would have been paying 3k a week basically to put him in the shop window. He's out of contract in 12 months so interested clubs wait 6 months and sign him on a Pre-contract for nowt. I can see the sense in releasing him, McCormack staying is important now I think.
Fair point. I'm just disappointed to see him leave and am clutching at straws thinking of reasons why it makes perfect sense that he should have stayed and that JedCo don't have the foggiest.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:18:12 »

I think he's worth that sort of money to be honest. £2800 ain't big money. We are going to have kids on 500 quid a week by the looks of it. False economy if they ain't good enough.

It's not massive but it is decent and equates to nearly £150k per year. If all the senior pro's want to be on that then keeping to a playing budget of £2.4m would be nigh on impossible. We'd have 16! I know there's probably quite a few who will be on a lot less but some are likely to be on more i would surmise?!

dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:07:07 »

It doesn't really matter what I reply here because you're just going to go off on one as usual, aren't you?

As far as I can tell the decision to release Ferry was in order to keep McCormack. Ferry is more likely to attract a transfer fee than McCormack and on that basis I'd have thought that keeping Ferry over McCormack on the off chance we can sell him would fit in with the current climate of reducing the wage bill and sustainability... it's pretty much what Fitton intended.

Of course, none of us know what sort of wage McCormack is on so it could be that Ferry was released because his salary was double what McCormack earns in which case it makes perfect sense.

What I don't get is why you, and a bunch of other posters, are so convinced that he's a saleable asset, when experience seems to suggest that he isn't. As far as I'm aware, in the 4(?) years he's been with the club we've not had a single offer for him.

Even when the someone at the club announced we were skint and the whole squad was up for sale I don't think anyone was interested.

If money is tight I'm not sure we want to take a punt on a salary commitment of £300k (what a 2 year contract would cost us) in the hope that we might be able to sell him on.

..never go back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:17:54 »

What I don't get is why you, and a bunch of other posters, are so convinced that he's a saleable asset, when experience seems to suggest that he isn't. As far as I'm aware, in the 4(?) years he's been with the club we've not had a single offer for him.

Even when the someone at the club announced we were skint and the whole squad was up for sale I don't think anyone was interested.

If money is tight I'm not sure we want to take a punt on a salary commitment of £300k (what a 2 year contract would cost us) in the hope that we might be able to sell him on.
I'm not convinced we'll get any bids for him, it's just more likely that we'd receive a bid for him than for McCormack. The point I was trying to make is that even if we didn't release him the worst case scenario is that he'd be playing for us. I thought that it was only a one year option anyway?

I presume it is the same logic in offering Flint a new deal but releasing Devera - younger, rumours of interest have been floating around and we'd be entitled to a tribunal fee if he rejected our terms and joined another club.

It's a fair point about not receiving any offers for him in January but given that we sold Ritchie in double-quick time, it may be that any offers were rebuffed. I'm sure Dr Pierre Chang will know Smiley

Of course, I'm basing this entirely on the assumption his wages would be lower than a senior pro who dropped a league to join us in 2011.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:18:13 »

When have we tried to sell him though? I would suggest Wes is worth money but because nobody has bid for him yet does that mean he's isn't a saleable asset?

The whole squad was up for sale for a few hours before being retracted so hardly 'in the shop window'. How do you know there wasn't enquiries??

Karl Robinson spoke highly of him in the studio of the Brentford 2nd leg which would suggest at least 1 club thinks highly of him.

The clause was one year not two.

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:23:30 »

I think he's worth that sort of money to be honest. £2800 ain't big money. We are going to have kids on 500 quid a week by the looks of it. False economy if they ain't good enough.

Is he really worth £2.8k a week when the average for the league is apparently around £1.5k (see link in other thread).

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:27:24 »

As far as I can tell the decision to release Ferry was in order to keep McCormack. Ferry is more likely to attract a transfer fee than McCormack and on that basis I'd have thought that keeping Ferry over McCormack on the off chance we can sell him would fit in with the current climate of reducing the wage bill and sustainability... it's pretty much what Fitton intended.

In simple footballing terms I suspect that as McCormack can play across the back 4 and midfield, whilst Ferry can play in 1 position only would have held a lot of sway, especially if money is tight!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:31:24 »

£2.4 million wage budget works out to an average of £1,800 a week per player for a squad of 25. Under Swindon's option for Ferry he would have been on £2,800 next year.

Disappointed just doesn't cover it.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:48:02 »

I'm not convinced we'll get any bids for him, it's just more likely that we'd receive a bid for him than for McCormack. The point I was trying to make is that even if we didn't release him the worst case scenario is that he'd be playing for us. I thought that it was only a one year option anyway?

I presume it is the same logic in offering Flint a new deal but releasing Devera - younger, rumours of interest have been floating around and we'd be entitled to a tribunal fee if he rejected our terms and joined another club.

It's a fair point about not receiving any offers for him in January but given that we sold Ritchie in double-quick time, it may be that any offers were rebuffed. I'm sure Dr Pierre Chang will know Smiley

Of course, I'm basing this entirely on the assumption his wages would be lower than a senior pro who dropped a league to join us in 2011.

I guess there has to be a balance between investment for the future and what's needed on the pitch in the here and now. MacDonald appears to have decided that McCormack is more vital to his central midfield.

..never go back.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 11:59:04 »

I guess there has to be a balance between investment for the future and what's needed on the pitch in the here and now. MacDonald appears to have decided that McCormack is more vital to his central midfield.

I quite like the way KMac appears to have fuck all idea what's going on....a good gambit in deflecting blame from himself. I'm sure it can't be the case that he really has no idea what's going on can it?  Hmmm
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 12:02:38 »

I love the idea that he really is sailing off on a barge, like Killer Kilcline!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 12:05:59 »

I like the idea that we should have released Alan Mac & extended Ferry so we could sell him thus leaving us without either.

I'm sure the idea of negotiating with Alan Mac is that they want him to stay and act as a role model to the youngsters.  I'm not sure that is a job I would have said Si would have been good at.
He is also able to cover more positions, as we have seen this season.

If money were no option I would loved to have kept both, but that is not the place we are in right now, so I have to think that Alan Mac is probably the right (safe) choice.
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:08:21 »

He's worth £2800 a week. If only we could get Roberts off the book without paying him off, he could have kept both Devera and Ferry.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:26:47 »

Franchise have been linked with him a few times and if as JJ says he's already in talks with them, it seems daft not to have invoked the clause.

We're up the creek a bit if McCormack goes, which I think is highly likely.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:41:33 »

Prutton is coming back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: