Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Frustrated Di Canio lets fly in 20-minute rant  (Read 15989 times)
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:24:04 »

If he'd show some of either himself, maybe he wouldn't be "small time"?

Oh yeah I keep forgetting, he's Kevin the Manager isn't he, and he's going round Perry's.
DMR

« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:24:17 »

If he'd show some of either himself, maybe he wouldn't be "small time"?

Well said
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:30:43 »

He's the manager, let him get on with it.

We have had to settle for so much shite over the past 20 years that it's actually refreshing to see a manager actually having some balls to say things how they are.

« Last Edit: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:34:07 by mrverve » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:36:55 »

Everyone seems to think 'poor players, they would be so much better if that nasty di Canio cut them a bit of slack' when the truth is probably they would be averagely shite without him.

While I can understand Arriba saying a club like ours is not a perfect fit for PdC - which club would be?

If some want to go back to the usual platitudes spouted by 99% of managers that's up to them - you'll only appreciate him when he's gone
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:40:01 »

I've read it and it didn't seem any great shakes to me?  Was it even a rant (anyone listened to the tone?) or just a pretty long response to an initial question where his passion came out and he, as usual, responded to every question going - even some of his own.

I completely prefer this to previous Managers and I'm also wondering if he's learned one skill from Harry Redknapp.  Arriba, you mention about losing the dressing room, but I think he's got the same approach as Harry in the turnover of players.  Everyone rated Harry for being a motivator, yet his true skill was being able to refresh the squad on an almost annual basis, but have them playing the right way straight away.  Every so often he'd pick up a nugget of a player who cleary got his ways and they stuck around with him and followed him between clubs.

The real challenge when having a Manager with that approach is the funding - Portsmouth is a good example of a club who gave Harry everything he ever asked for, and now is paying the price.  On the other hand, Spurs won't take much longer to realise what he did for them (but they had a much tighter reign on the purse).  It's one reason I always thought Harry would do well for England.

Di Canio clearly airs all the dirty linen in public, it was the same within weeks of him joining us so I have no issue with that from the perspective of this was always going to be his way.  He also talks way too fast (passion coming out) for someone using a 2nd language, which means he often uses poorly translated words and phrases I think.  He is creating a pretty good seige mentality as well, which is tough in a team doing well!  Ferguson managed it at Man Utd, refusing to speak to the BBC for several years (imagine the response if Di Canio did that, it was bad enough when he stopped talking to the Adver for a week or two), throwing out players who were no longer towing the party line (Beckham, Ince etc).

Aren't we on course to have at least the 3rd most successful season in the last 15 years or so?
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 09:52:00 »

Spot on Paolo. Spoken like a fucking winner.

Bring on the change.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:09:36 »

Definition of insanity : Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

The tried and tested conventional managers have us in league 1, with the odd yo yo into league 2. Di Canio is a different thing. He's mad, yet maybe, just maybe his way will  work.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:40:51 »

Gonna be bloody expensive then. Can't see it happening myself.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:48:50 »

Heh heh.. Only our fans could slate their manager for wanting to instill some discipline and professionalism.

Now, I think Paolo is doing a good job and everything, but professionalism is not a word you could associate with his management style.
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:57:11 »

Di canio is extreme in every way. This will lead to conflict. When it does he attacks those who don't share his view. He has said he could leave numerous times now. He's slated individuals numerous times too. Yet the man is so arrogant that he is always right and aint shy in telling everyone that. If he doesn't leave he will lose the dressing room eventually. Only think he hasn't up to now due to  the high player turnover. I have concluded that his style isn't suited to a club like ours and isn't sustainable

Fuck me, you don't half spout some bollocks sometimes!!
As a club we've been in the doldrums for years, and finally we have someone who's taken the club by the scruff of the neck, put us back on the map and given us half a chance of seeing the good times again.
What would you prefer some no mark, journeyman manager or stick with what we have?
You may not agree with his methods or outbursts, but I'd rather this than going back to being a dull, faceless club with no ambition.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 10:59:05 »

If we stay down here and don't change our youth set up, arriba's kid has a better chance of making the grade....

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:00:26 »

Posted this on the other thread too but I'd be interested to see what our results have been like after each of these bigger Paolo rants. I suspect they are probably pretty good. I also think most of the players are on his side, particularly the older pros like Miller, Ward and Navarro and the youngsters like Flint etc will be learning every day under Paolo. Whilst he's always been a nutter he's clearly and intelligent man, more so than I think a lot of us give him credit for, and lets not forget he was one hell of a player.

Big win tomorrow and this will all be forgotten but the adver should watch their step, they're clearly using Paolo's limelight to try and make a name for themselves and I don't like it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:09:23 »

If we stay down here and don't change our youth set up, arriba's kid has a better chance of making the grade....
That's well below the belt. Not least because arriba's already said his kid got fed up and left the youth setup so that's not a factor.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:13:50 »

As a club we've been in the doldrums for years, and finally we have someone who's taken the club by the scruff of the neck, put us back on the map and given us half a chance of seeing the good times again.
What would you prefer some no mark, journeyman manager or stick with what we have?
You may not agree with his methods or outbursts, but I'd rather this than going back to being a dull, faceless club with no ambition.

Do you mean like the team in yellow 30 miles or so down the road? They must be having a great time this season, excitement central down there!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 11:17:08 »

I dont dispute what you're saying but my points still stand. Di canios methods come at a price. I don't think stfc can sustain them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: