Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A view from the Wednesday.  (Read 10716 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 18:04:29 »

Franchise?

I'd love to see that pile of shit implode!

Clems Army!
Beastie

« Reply #46 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 18:08:40 »

Franchise?

Hmmm...Good card well played and I know what you mean....I've hated them with a proper passion since they came about and I hate what they've done. Trying to buy the history of Wimbledon was the ultimate in shittyness...

As it stands I have to say I would make an exception in this case...ya fooker  Cheesy

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 18:15:58 »

Franchise don't count because they're a travesty, not a football club.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 20:08:50 »

My view used to be that they are professional footballers, they come to work and no matter what happens it shouldn't affect them. After all, if the club folds they should find another club easily anyway....

However, I've had to change that view as the more I thought about it the more I thought, well, if it was me, I'd still be worried about it and it isn't that easy for players to find another club, playing at the same level, plus they'd have to uproot their families again, some after a very short while here and the whole uncertainty of going into work and not knowing who would be in charge or even if there was anything to be in charge of...it simply has to get inside your head doesn't it?

Since this started to come to a head the players have started doing the pre kick off huddle...they didn't do this before...to me that shows a bit of solidarity, a bit of togetherness through what has definitely been a difficult time for everyone...from the boardroom to the terrace.

Again, I've always been of the mind...it'll never happen to us...a couple of weeks ago when we were in court and awaiting news...I had my first ever 'It REALLY could be us' moment...where I thought my club could actually cease to exist....I've never experienced anything like that and it was the same for loads of Wednesday fans.

I was hanging on every twitch on Twitter, scanning teletext, news reports, anything with a scrap of info...it was akin to having a relative that's seriously ill in another country and you're powerless to do anything about it.

I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone, whoever they are...I've always been one that supports clubs in crisis, I've been on fan days to grounds to help with cash, donated cash, bought seats at ground, all that sort of stuff, because if we as fans can't stick together when we're needed the most, then this game truly has gone to hell in a handbasket....I'd do the same for the two I hate most in the world, The Blades and Leeds...stuff like this goes beyond the usual 'fan/club hatred'. (IMVHO)

I digress a little...my point is that it must have affected the players...it affected us all.

Hopefully we're out of it now and a bright future lays ahead.

Apologies for the rant/ramble

You put a smile on my miserable Monday face reading that write up. Nice one.

Always had great games and times against Wednesday. Even supported you at Poxford one game.

Anyway as an old fart (not many Swindon fans believe me) as in a previous post mentioning Tango Man. He is nothing compared to the legend "Sammy" - "we'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles ohh Sammy."

Happy times..........is he dead or alive ? Mixed responses from the Wednesdayites.

Great Club and Supporters..................and yes "Sammy"
Beastie

« Reply #49 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 20:30:28 »

You put a smile on my miserable Monday face reading that write up. Nice one.

Always had great games and times against Wednesday. Even supported you at Poxford one game.

Anyway as an old fart (not many Swindon fans believe me) as in a previous post mentioning Tango Man. He is nothing compared to the legend "Sammy" - "we'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles ohh Sammy."

Happy times..........is he dead or alive ? Mixed responses from the Wednesdayites.

Great Club and Supporters..................and yes "Sammy"

Strangely enough Sammy was mentioned on a post on our forum not too long ago and folk were enquiring the same thing, is he still around and the replies were as you've said mate, mixed. There didn't seem to be many that were 100% sure.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 20:36:16 »

Strangely enough Sammy was mentioned on a post on our forum not too long ago and folk were enquiring the same thing, is he still around and the replies were as you've said mate, mixed. There didn't seem to be many that were 100% sure.

Bloody sad if he is up above. Come on Beastie find out for sure and let me know.

4 old lads now in the Car Saturday all talking about him...............Do you remember him yourself ?
Beastie

« Reply #51 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 21:06:21 »

Bloody sad if he is up above. Come on Beastie find out for sure and let me know.

4 old lads now in the Car Saturday all talking about him...............Do you remember him yourself ?

I don't mate TBH and the horrible truth is, even if I'd gone to every game with him back then my memory is so shit I wouldn't remember anyway.

Part of the reason I do the rambles is to remind me of what happened....When my Young Un gets in the car I always look at her like I've never seen her before, she sees that daft look of confusion on my face and says 'You're daughter! I'm your youngest daughter ya daft old git!'

Everyone on our forum (Owls Alive) knows how bad my memory and navigation skills are and rib me mercilessly about both.
Beastie

« Reply #52 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 21:13:00 »

Just got word back from someone with a better memory than me...

Sammy IS still around but doesn't go to games these days. (Though I'm sure someone said they'd seen him at one recently and that may be why his name cropped up on the board)
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 21:21:32 »

Great write up Beastie.

I look forward to easter monday for my first trip to Hillsborough.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, December 6, 2010, 22:46:34 »

Just got word back from someone with a better memory than me...

Sammy IS still around but doesn't go to games these days. (Though I'm sure someone said they'd seen him at one recently and that may be why his name cropped up on the board)

Will take your word for it Mate (Thank your contact).
My memory must be shit hot as I will never forget that face as long as I live.

Get him back for the home game and I want to see him up on those shoulders. Sadly the last time I saw him at Swindon he was taken out by the Old Bill at halftime and got a shower of coins as they marched him past the Town End. Probably retired with his collection.

He was one scary fucker that one and as you can see made an impression on a kid all of those many years back.
"Sammy we'll walk a million miles for one of your smiles ohh Sammy"

Rumour has it that home fans would taunt the Wednesday about capturing Sammy, then up he would go again on the shoulders being past round the Wednesday crowd on the shoulders like a modern day flag.................Football was better in those days lad aye.
owlsonlineadmin

« Reply #55 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 15:49:00 »

Any idea what the away attendance was for the game last week?

Thanks
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 15:51:27 »

Any idea what the away attendance was for the game last week?

Thanks

About 1,300 I think.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:03:27 »

About 1,300 I think.

And you should be proud in that weather....

Clems Army!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:04:31 »

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10341~2236519,00.html

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
owlsonlineadmin

« Reply #59 on: Monday, December 13, 2010, 16:10:22 »

Thank you
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: