Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: a thread about the the match itself  (Read 6544 times)

Ignore
« on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:34:27 »

plenty of stuff about pubs,trains,yobs,tickets,etc but we aint got into the game itself really.

i've thought quite alot about how we should go about trying to win on sat, and i cant decide if we line up and play as we have pretty much all season,or change our game a bit.
millwall are bang up for this game,and having lost last year we can guarantee they will take some beating.i think we can do it,but i'm not sure our current formation will be the way to go.

i've wondered if maybe playing ward in the hole behind the front 2 might be worth a go.i've wondered if we just go 4,4,2 and hope that's good enough to see us through.
millwall will have done their homework on us,and maybe playing a ward in the hole would cause them problems?they wouldn't have prepared for it,and will have to change things to counter it.

i still dont know what i think is the right way to go really.i just hope we are better than them and win.i'm sure danny will have them well prepared.
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:39:44 »

I'm hoping that Millwall being favourites and them losing last year will heap a lot more unwanted pressure on them, We are the underdogs so maybe it will work in our favour like it did with Blackpool yesterday?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:40:30 »

If we play to our best I think we'll win. Personally I don't see what all the fuss about Millwall is. They were pretty average in both games against us and pretty poor in both legs of their semi. They're nothing special. Just a well organised team that are hard to break down. They do it the unfashionable way but it works for them. Now i'm far from saying they are not a threat. As Arriba says they will be well up for it. We need to be good in the centre of the park and in the final third. I think them being away from The Den will help us as well.

We should just go 4-4-2. Forget what has happened in the past games etc this is a one off. It's a 50/50 toss up between 2 teams and the one that handles the pressure and turns up on the day will win. I would personally start with Manks at RB over Darby. Other than that it's as you were with LJF at CB and Sheehan at LB. The team pretty much takes care of itself for me.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:42:09 »

I think pace will be our best option against the Wall. Maybe start with the line up that started against Charlton at home in the first leg - keep Billy on the bench until their centre backs are knackered.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:44:04 »

I would like to see Amankwaah start but got a feeling this will be the team:

Lucas, Darby, Sheehan, Cuthbert, Lescinel, McGovern, Ferry, Douglas (Capt), Ward, Austin Paynter, SUBS: Smith, Morrison, Easton, Timlin, Nouble, Pericard, Amankwaah.
Talk Talk

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:45:24 »

After watching the semis against Hudders I don't think we have anything to worry about. They are really really shit hoofball merchants too.

Just keep it on the deck and pass it around - there is loads of room at Wembley.

Play our passing game and we will shit in their mouths.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:45:43 »

To be completely honest I don't think we'll win. I think we'll give a good account of ourselves but we'll fall short IMO, Millwall are a very good side and unfortunately for us are due a win at Wembley in the playoffs.

Play how we've played all season, stick with the same formation and just give it a go - that's all we can ask for.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:47:06 »

After watching the semis against Hudders I don't think we have anything to worry about. They are really really shit hoofball merchants too.

Just keep it on the deck and pass it around - there is loads of room at Wembley.

Play our passing game and we will shit in their mouths.

This but only if we play it well. Slack defending will cost us dear. Must be on our game in all departments really.
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:47:16 »

To be completely honest I don't think we'll win. I think we'll give a good account of ourselves but we'll fall short IMO, Millwall are a very good side and unfortunately for us are due a win at Wembley in the playoffs.

Play how we've played all season, stick with the same formation and just give it a go - that's all we can ask for.

That's how i have been thinking  Sad Sad They are definitely due a win and will be very fired up, They are very good defensively and hard to break down, We could win it though, We have a chance so i'm not going to be too negative.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:47:56 »

We should just go 4-4-2. Forget what has happened in the past games etc this is a one off. It's a 50/50 toss up between 2 teams and the one that handles the pressure and turns up on the day will win. I would personally start with Manks at RB over Darby. Other than that it's as you were with LJF at CB and Sheehan at LB. The team pretty much takes care of itself for me.

Agree with this completely.  Hopefully having played Millwall only a couple of weeks ago will be a benefit, as we will know the players they utilise the most.  They are a difficult team to break down, but we were far from our best that day and we still got 2 past them.  Do we know whether Sheehan is fit again?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:48:49 »

First of all, the absolute worst thing we can do is change our style from what we've been doing all season.

The team largely picks itself. Assuming the players who have had injuries (Lucas, Sheehan) are fit, the only decision is whether to play Darby or Amankwaah at right back. Even that to me, is not a decision. It has to be Manks..far more positive and that's what you need. We have to take the game to them.

Millwall obviously have an excellent home record where they have come to use the hostile home crowd to their advantage but that will be taken away from them next Saturday...yes they will have 30,000 plus fans behind them but that will be cancelled out by 30,000 plus Town fans...get them out on the wide open spaces of Wembley and I think we will prove that we have the better players.

It will be as hard as fuck but I believe that we can and will beat them.
Talk Talk

« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:49:22 »

Do we know whether Sheehan is fit again?

A very good point.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:49:36 »

I think pace will be our best option against the Wall. Maybe start with the line up that started against Charlton at home in the first leg - keep Billy on the bench until their centre backs are knackered.

With Billy being injured we certainly found a different, more pacey,  way of attacking

But its the other way round for me, start with the 'normal' starting 11 and we have manks and O'Brien to come on and make the switch of Ward up front.

Its a tough call.

Can we beat Millwall. Yes.
Can Millwall beat us. Yes.
Who knows what will happen on the day, I reckon it'll come down to a bit of luck here or a bad decision there.

Not having Greer is a big loss, but if Lecs is on his game he'll be OK. Just hope Paynter, Sheehan and Lucas are fit, though Smith is no bad cover for Lucas.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:51:47 »

and unfortunately for us are due a win at Wembley in the playoffs.

That is bollocks man! No one is a due a win! That is supersticious bollocks Roll Eyes

Oh well, they're due a win. Let's not bother turning up!
Barry Scott

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 21:52:00 »

What's the news on Sheehan? I've heard nothing about how bad his injury is/was (apart from a few lines about a hip injury) and have no idea when he's back. Will he play?

Millwall are an organised side and are tough to break down. We can absolutely out-football them and, state of the pitch excused, we should be more than capable of doing that regardless of the starting line-up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: