Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Di Canio in Swindon manager talks  (Read 40343 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:56:23 »

Di Canio is far right and was fascinated by Mussolini. He DID NOT admire him and he found Mussolini's actions vile.

I'm not concerned about how he feels about Mussolini, Hitler, Che Guevara or Obama - the fact he made fascist salutes with (rightly or wrongly) Nazi connotations to a group of Lazio fans who - as Paul demonstrated - are openly racist and admire Mussolini makes me feel uncomfortable.

If we appoint Di Canio, the club will become a fucking circus. I don't want Swindon to be seen as a club that welcomes fascists, communists, neo-liberals, atheists or aliens. I want to see a stable football club with a manager who knows League 2 and can get us back out of the basement. If Di Canio was apolitical I wouldn't support his appointment either.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:57:19 »

I'm actually warming to the idea of Di Canio. It is a big risk and even yesterday I wasn't so keen on the idea but after hearing some of the other names mentioned I almost wanted to cry. Rix? You cannot be serious. I'd still be happy with Trollope but tbh if it's Di Canio it's going to excite people, get them interested, boost shirt and ticket sales, get a new wave of optimism around the club. We had it with Wise and it got us out of L2. Same could happen again.

I'm aware of the facist stuff. Let's be honest he'll know that he needs to pipe down when he's in a manager's role. If he want's to progress he'll have to. The only thing that would concern me is that he will jump ship. How long will it take for West Ham to come calling? Tbh though if he manages 12 months with us and takes us up I won't be complaining.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:58:24 »

I think his salutes were stupid, that much is undeniable. But it wouldn't be the first time a footballer did something a bit (or a lot) stupid.

Although, his reasons for that were explained in the first article I posted.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:59:35 »

I'm not concerned about how he feels about Mussolini, Hitler, Che Guevara or Obama - the fact he made fascist salutes with (rightly or wrongly) Nazi connotations to a group of Lazio fans who - as Paul demonstrated - are openly racist and admire Mussolini makes me feel uncomfortable.

If we appoint Di Canio, the club will become a fucking circus. I don't want Swindon to be seen as a club that welcomes fascists, communists, neo-liberals, atheists or aliens. I want to see a stable football club with a manager who knows League 2 and can get us back out of the basement. If Di Canio was apolitical I wouldn't support his appointment either.

I would,the thought of Money,Rix or Magilton and the long endless list of no good fuckwits fills me with dread.
As i have said Bodin for me though a new manager(ie Di Canio)would cheer me more.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:59:49 »

So much so that he had "Dux" tatooed on his arm and the fasces emblem used by Mussolini tattooed on his back

Yes Paul.

If we are to judge the man on his actions and thoughts, should we not listen to what he has to say?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:01:10 »

I think his salutes were stupid, that much is undeniable. But it wouldn't be the first time a footballer did something a bit (or a lot) stupid.

Yes he was expressing his solidarity with "those who share my ideas", a notorious gang of neo-Nazi hooligans. His autobiography's also got a fair bit about his own hooliganism as a member of the Ultras himself
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:02:11 »

Yes Paul.

If we are to judge the man on his actions and thoughts, should we not listen to what he has to say?
Of course we should. I'm just not taking it entirely at face value as you are.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:02:40 »

And exactly how much experience did Macari have of the basement when we pissed the league with record points?

Thats very true and i agree 100% with that sentiment, But I see two very different situations and characters
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:04:30 by Town23 » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:02:55 »

Let's not forget as well that the fascist salute was adopted by the Nazi's.

Much like the Swastika was. Doesn't mean that the swastika always represents Nazism, because it doesn't. 
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:03:23 »

I missed that first article, sorry. It is an interesting read but written by the author of his autobiography, so perhaps a little biased as well. Above all that article paints him as a little simplistic, reactionary and foolish - not qualities I'd like to see in a manager. Although he is certainly passionate.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:05:31 »

We're going round in circles here a bit. Can we all just get behind the No Scummers at Swindon (NSAS pronounced en-sass) movement?

I'd like to see a group of Town fans behind the Arkells dressed like this:
[url width=315 height=289]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fDMIk7sCH98/TB4uhuU7xyI/AAAAAAAAAiE/41SW810hpi0/s320/nonce-sense.jpg[/url]
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:06:15 »

Let's not forget as well that the fascist salute was adopted by the Nazi's.

Much like the Swastika was. Doesn't mean that the swastika always represents Nazism, because it doesn't.  
Right, so you think the Lazio Ultras he's so fond of repeatedly saluting with a possibly just a tiny bit fascist salute wave the swastika as a nod to ancient Indian religious symbols, entirely devoid of any Nazi connotations? Sure
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:07:52 »

Of course we should. I'm just not taking it entirely at face value as you are.

But people said he 'admires' Mussolini are taking that from the same paragraph where he said he found Mussolini's actions vile. Maybe I am taking his quotes at face value because it's all I have to go by.

I presume you are taking his tattoo's at face value, although he has (tried to) explain that.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:09:49 »

Right, so you think the Lazio Ultras he's so fond of repeatedly saluting with a possibly just a tiny bit fascist salute wave the swastika as a nod to ancient Indian religious symbols, entirely devoid of any Nazi connotations? Sure

He believes he was giving a fascist salute, not a Nazi salute.

At least that's what he says. If we aren't going to accept what he says, we can stop saying he says he admired Mussolini.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 17:11:36 »

Thats very true and i agree 100% with that sentiment, But I see two very different situations and characters

Like short and Scottish and short and Italian!

But i get what you are saying Town Fan,in a higher division i would see a new manager a bigger risk than one in Lge 2,tend to agree with Duke of Banbury on this with a new sense of exitement and scandal being needed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: