Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Radio One Big Weekend Swindon 2009  (Read 53140 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:02:13 »

Glad to hear it went as well as it did.  And if Swindon ever does get a university, I would imagine a few more of these bands/groups would come back on a more regular basis.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:04:47 »

Glad to hear it went as well as it did.  And if Swindon ever does get a university, I would imagine a few more of these bands/groups would come back on a more regular basis.

They'd probably come if we had a decent/big enough venue. Sadly it doesn't look like happening for a while.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:15:37 »

If we build it, they will come.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #498 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:19:00 »

I think it's the fact that we won't get such a venue..Oasis leisure centre it is Smiley
Rossi

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:21:06 »

Is it me or does the fella shout "LONDON" right at the beginning of the akon act?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bigweekend/2009/artists/akon/
I guess next time they're in unfamiliar territory someone should remind them of their geographic location before they go on stage.

Edit: Also since when has wearing skirts been the latest fashion for men? Those crazy yanks!
« Last Edit: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:27:52 by Rossi » Logged

Panda Paws

« Reply #500 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 17:42:54 »

From what I've seen on the t'interweb and on the red button, Chase & Status and Deadmau5 looked quality, as did the enemy and friendly fires. Apparently the outside stage where they had a lot of local and unsigned acts was well worth a visit too.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 18:13:19 »

One thing I did wonder though, if a one weekend event with 20,000 people can be such a boost to the local economy, think about the football club. I know this has always been argued with redevelopment plans etc. but the impression I get is that the Council don't share this view so much.

The big problem for the council with the football club is that its a business and its owners are looking to make a profit, as a result its difficult for them to justify any special favours such as selling the ground on the cheap. Though there is still a strong argument to support the club, a Premier League team would boost the towns profile and bring a lot of people in and their cash to the town. Plus a re-development of the ground could mean a decent concert venue, conference facilities and so on - all of which would help the town as a whole.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 18:15:54 »

I think it's the fact that we won't get such a venue..Oasis leisure centre it is Smiley

We're stuck with that for now, sadly it's a sports hall not a purpose built music venue but they're doing great managing to attract the artists that they are now that the capacity is up to 3000 for a stand up concert.

Oh and JFW I thought Florenece and the Machine were great (yes scary = attractive sometimes).

Friendly Fires my favourite though. Check out their one (shame BBC) song on the big weekend website, brilliant !
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 19:11:18 »

They'd probably come if we had a decent/big enough venue. Sadly it doesn't look like happening for a while.

Thought Lydiard showed it could host something, why not try to get some annual festival thingy in our wonderful town? everyone that went at the weekend had a brilliant time so it showed Swindon could host these types of events in the future!
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 21:01:38 »

This weekend was nothing but success - v well organized. Shame party in the park never managed anything higher profile than steps!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 21:06:00 »

One of the companies I do most of my work for (sjm concerts) did all the production (pa/lights/stages/crew etc etc etc) for the weekend.  They are also responsible for the majority of the gigs at the oasis.  I shall keep having words promoting Swindon as the place to do shows, as frankly its a damn site easier than me having to drive around the country to do gigs.

30 minutes from gig to home was most welcome.

Never knowingly overstated.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #506 on: Monday, May 11, 2009, 21:35:16 »

Thought Lydiard showed it could host something, why not try to get some annual festival thingy in our wonderful town? everyone that went at the weekend had a brilliant time so it showed Swindon could host these types of events in the future!

I think that's the only way it would happen. Now SBC has the Oasis doing regular gigs it doesn't appea\r that they're keen for another similar sized venue.
Talk Talk

« Reply #507 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 07:21:16 »

The big problem for the council with the football club is that its a business and its owners are looking to make a profit, as a result its difficult for them to justify any special favours such as selling the ground on the cheap.

The council are not allowed to sell the ground "on the cheap" or supply any "special favours".

If they did the councillors would be personally liable and that is not going to happen.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #508 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 08:25:29 »

my aunt who works at Capita who does some work for the council says they are trying to get Take That to do Lydiard Park next year. I wouldn't go because they are not my thing but pretty high profile.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 08:45:40 »

Hope that's not true Gary. One step forward, two steps back. oh dear.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: