Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Huddersfield splashing the cash  (Read 3610 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:27:06 »

I think we might be uniquely shit and apathetic to be honest, maybe it's shit and uniquely apathetic, or shit and apathetic uniquely. One of them anyway.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:27:13 »

It's more to do with ambition. If they have three times as many fans as us then they've built a better fanbase for if and when they go up.

The reason we haven't had as much ambition is because we're not ready to get promoted. We would not stay in the CCC for very long as we wouldn't be able to sustain the spending with a lack of fanbase and additional revenue streams.

This doesn't mean the Board do not want us to get promoted, just that it's not going to be as easy to make us a sustainable club as they hoped.

As soon as they charge £300 for a season ticket in the CCC they will lose 5K off the attendance.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:29:54 »

There had a look, Huddersfield sold 16,123 season ticket.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:31:32 »

I guess a lot don't bother because their average attendance is 13,416.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:32:34 »

On 25th november they had more season ticket holders not bother turning up than we managed to sell in total.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:34:37 »

Amazingly we have the 7th highest average attendance in the league. Higher than Peterborough.
Spencer_White

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 18:57:31 »

Its the same old thing. These Towns like Huddersfield, Burnley and Barnsley, no one moves there, people only leave, which makes the remainder even more 'Town born un bread'! They can rely on civic pride for their attendances.

Whereas on the other hand, we take all the migrants for these Towns in. There is no stigma of not supporting the local side in Swindon because the vast majority dont. We cant rely on civic pride. They cant even rely on Swindon itself for the majority of the clubs fans. The club relies on the support from small Towns and villages outside Swindon and supporters from all over the country who remmember the good times.

I would say 1997 is the last time we punched above our weight. Support wont grow again until they sort the squad out.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:15:47 »

Its the same old thing. These Towns like Huddersfield, Burnley and Barnsley, no one moves there, people only leave, which makes the remainder even more 'Town born un bread'! They can rely on civic pride for their attendances.

Whereas on the other hand, we take all the migrants for these Towns in. There is no stigma of not supporting the local side in Swindon because the vast majority dont. We cant rely on civic pride. They cant even rely on Swindon itself for the majority of the clubs fans. The club relies on the support from small Towns and villages outside Swindon and supporters from all over the country who remmember the good times.

I would say 1997 is the last time we punched above our weight. Support wont grow again until they sort the squad out.

Earlier in the week i made the point in case of a guy from Swindon, who rang in to 606.He's from
Swindon,had a Swindon accent but was prepared to spend 60 quid to go and watch Palace at
Selhurst Park.It'll take a sustained period of a good team and improved facilities  to increase our fanbase.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:19:09 by alanmayes » Logged

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:24:26 »

For me its about getting the new generation in...the new estates in North swindon Abbey Meads,Oakhurst etc are massive with alot of youngsters there..if you let kids in free they will spend in the ground and might...just might become hooked and keep coming back,not knocking the club because off field theyve reall y tried but i know a lot of familys with sat two or three kids cant afford it so none of them bother watching...let the kids in free all season and they might persuade the parents to come along as well.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:27:20 »

To be fair, a significant proportion of our own fanbase is from out of town.  In fact, I think we'd be sunk without the out of towners.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:28:42 »

As soon as they charge £300 for a season ticket in the CCC they will lose 5K off the attendance.

No doubt they will lose a lot, but many will revert to pay on the day and so overall they will gain. That's if they do go up and they do put up prices that high.
Spencer_White

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:31:15 »

Leefer, even that is a gamble.

Because if you drop the prices and new people/kids come, but their suspicions are confirmed and you lay on a load of shit then you really have lost them.

And on that score we are already BUST.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:35:42 by Spencer_White » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:38:53 »

Good point Spence...but when i started watching as a kid it wasnt about the match or quality of it...it was getting up sat morning really exited,only 50p pocket money...on the bus or walking to the ground,watching the old nutters in the ground,a bottle of pop and a bag of chips on the way home!
Now i know youngsters are different these days but i say to you if you watch a kid(not pervy!) at a town match they aint watching football most of the time but having a laugh or a good time...and they might want to do the same the following week...especially if its free.
Spencer_White

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 19:46:54 »

We had kids for a quid in the north stand in the late 90's. I used to do it myself. Remmember this gang of teenage lads had nicked about 300 pens from a bookies and were just throwing them at all the grumpy old men.

Which as a teenage boy myself, watching them, was quite funny. But I dont think its what the club (or well meaning fans like yourself) had in mind.

Much a simmilar situation with the team as well. Carrick on loan from West Ham being our only decent player, just as Cox is now.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: