Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 380138 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #2040 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:46:51 »

Not really, TBH I am not sure we have ever had a deadline day when we havent signed a single player though. Especially when the manager publically stated he wanted 2 or 3 in.

For that reason alone it must be out poorest deadline day ever, 1 out and zero in.

It wasn't great, but I still think the getting rid of Fjortoft on the cheap (Birmingham had offered twice as much early in the season) and getting in no replacement striker (which basically said we've given up & are expecting to get relegated) was the worst in my mind. (Well I was more pissed off with that one)

However, you are quite right this one was quite poor, not because we sold our 4th choice striker, but because we didn't get the 2 or 3 players we probably needed.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2041 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:47:47 »

DJ and Matt Smith out was worse.
Quality wise yes probably, but didnt we sign Freeman and at least 1 loan to replace them? IIRC.

Zero signings I dont think has ever happened before, certainly since the turn of this century.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2042 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:48:29 »

However, you are quite right this one was quite poor, not because we sold our 4th choice striker, but because we didn't get the 2 or 3 players we probably needed.
Exactly my point, not about who went out its who came in.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2043 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:49:22 »

DJ and Matt Smith out was worse, losing our two best players in one day.

DJ out was the moment the scales finally fell from most people's eyes with regards to Power (about 5 years too late but hey), as he firmly grabbed the steering wheel and piled us into the central reservation.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2044 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:53:16 »

DJ out was the moment the scales finally fell from most people's eyes with regards to Power (about 5 years too late but hey), as he firmly grabbed the steering wheel and piled us into the central reservation.
Oh it was, DJ was sold for £1m too so I hear so not peanuts.

In terms of players out we have had many worse deadline days for certain, but in terms of players in, this has to have been the worst, it hasnt left our starting 11 worse but as a squad it has certainly weakened us, if we had the 2/3 new players come in then it would not have been seen as a poor deadline day.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2045 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:55:24 »

On deadline day 2021 itself we brought in Missilou and sold DJ and Freeman (he'd signed earlier in the month) and Smith was recalled. A proper stinker.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2046 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:56:44 »

On deadline day itself we brought in Missilou and sold DJ and Freeman (he'd signed earlier in the month) and Smith was recalled.
So a player came in then, in hindsight he was shit but we still signed a player.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2047 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:58:06 »

Returning to the matter at hand, Jan 1 2023 to Sept 1 2023... is this the fewest incomings in the EFL? Presume it is our lowest ever in a comparable period.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2048 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 08:58:55 »

So a player came in then, in hindsight he was shit but we still signed a player.

With three outs including two of our best players, yes. I can see the narrow definition by which this is the "worst deadline day ever" but it's not really is it? If we'd brought in one journeyman midfielder and sold Shade and RHM with Kemp recalled, I would be significantly crosser than I am now!

Returning to the matter at hand, Jan 1 2023 to Sept 1 2023... is this the fewest incomings in the EFL? Presume it is our lowest ever in a comparable period.

It definitely won't be the latter, player turnover is much, much higher than it used to be. Unless you mean like, net players in - players out then probably, we had a pretty chunky squad in January.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2049 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:05:02 »

With three outs including two of our best players, yes. I can see the narrow definition by which this is the "worst deadline day ever" but it's not really is it?
I worded it badly, when I say poorest I was basing that purely on numbers of incoming. I should have reworded my original post as I did not mean specifically in terms of leaving us in a way weaker position.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2050 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:12:37 »

But a window isn’t just Deadline Day. Overall, I’d say the window in its entirety has been good.

When/if it all goes to shit on the pitch, fine, moan like fuck then. But every fucking day there’s posts just bleating about this and bleating about that.

Give it a rest. Please.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2051 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:12:58 »

Not just deadline day we didn't bring anyone in either to be fair, last in was Genesini on 7th August (I'm not counting Ward on 22nd, he's been at the club for months), we spent almost a month achieving nothing at all.

The window overall was:

5 permanent in (Kinsella, UGM, Uwakwe, Genesini, L Ward)
4 loan in (Mahoney, Kemp, Young, B Ward)

12 permanent out (Iandolo, Baudry, Cowmeadow, Dabre, Harries, Parsons, Massey, Roberts, Williams, Darcy, Lavinier, Wakeling)
4 loaned out (Aguiar, Adeloye, Dworzak, Hart)

So nine in, 16 out. But I don't think anyone wouldn't have expected more in than out based on the bloated squad we had before.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:16:10 by Nemo » Logged

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2052 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:14:15 »

Ben Ward
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #2053 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:33:53 »

But a window isn’t just Deadline Day. Overall, I’d say the window in its entirety has been good.

When/if it all goes to shit on the pitch, fine, moan like fuck then. But every fucking day there’s posts just bleating about this and bleating about that.

Give it a rest. Please.
It was a shit deadline day. It was a fair window though.

What bothers me is that its impossible to criticise the club sometimes on here, its not moaning....its stating facts.

Flynn wanted 3 players he got zero players. Simple.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2054 on: Monday, September 4, 2023, 09:35:26 »

Impossible? That’s all there is. Every day. Without fail.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: