Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afc Rochdale v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 61672 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:14:19 »

Lloyd Jones looks like he struggles in the air when up against a physical player.  Not a great characteristic when you play in League One.  Probably looks ok in the U23 League when very few crosses get lashed in to a big brute up-front.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:20:00 »

Still my favourite Swindon team ever. And yes the winter of 78/79 was very harsh, I remember 10 foot snow drifts all through December.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?id=1625&type=bg

Thanks for making me even more depressed discussing the great late 70's.
This club at the moment is slowly draining the energy out of me.

Can't believe you mentioned Sid at Kettering, not seen him for ages.
Thought it was a poker cue he got hit with.
I got the blue ball off the shoulder Smiley
Even Chalkie mentions Boreham Wood away......the train station after the game to this day can't believe anyone was not killed.

Anyway it's stale, we have a poor squad and January needs to come sooner.
Thankfully can't do far away midweek away games thus luckily I get out of Southend.

Carter, McHale, Rowland, Animal, Windy Miller, Mayes and even Jimmy off his line Allen........how the mighty have fallen.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:24:45 »

Still my favourite Swindon team ever. And yes the winter of 78/79 was very harsh, I remember 10 foot snow drifts all through December.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?id=1625&type=bg

Interesting. Didn't realise it rated so highly on 20th Century winter scales.  I had a vague memory of getting involved with a very fit bird at the time, and it always seemed to be freezing, or snow bound when we went places.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:28:23 »

Are there youth teamers who deserve a run out?

Having watched the yoofs just about beat AFC Sudbury I have to say I wasn't overly encouraged about our future prospects. Generally speaking Sudbury looked more physical and determined than our U18s much as Eastleigh were v the First Team.

Twine has been getting some goals and got two more to get us through yesterday but looks very slight at the moment. However clearly knows where the goal is as 2 very decent finishes.

Jordan Young started up top with him, missed a sitter in the 2nd minute and slightly disappointed throughout. Some nice touches but to me at least gave off the impression that he felt youth team games were slightly beneath him now. Picked up a knock in extra time and might as well not have been on the pitch for all he contributed in the last 15 minutes.

Other than them Frimpong at Centre half was man of the match with a pretty rugged display and he also scored the opening goal. Not too many there that looked particularly like they would progress through to a pro deal.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:38:52 »

Lowlights

The worrying thing is the simplicity of all their goals, yeah the 4th is shitty/should never have happened.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:40:32 »

Can't believe you mentioned Sid at Kettering, not seen him for ages.
Thought it was a poker cue he got hit with.
I got the blue ball off the shoulder Smiley
I was stood in the clubhouse at Kettering where Sid was playing pool and there was a scuffle and I had my back to it but I know knives were flashed around by Cobblers fans and a pool cue was swinging and I saw Sid with his eye bleeding,

Last thing I heard about Sid was getting banned for attacking the ref or linesman on the pitch around the mid to late 90s. Don't remember who it was against, I worked with Sid back in 82-83 at the BR rail works apprentice training school.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #231 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 12:57:12 »

Lloyd Jones looks like he struggles in the air when up against a physical player.  Not a great characteristic when you play in League One.  Probably looks ok in the U23 League when very few crosses get lashed in to a big brute up-front.
He has a tremendous capability to lose his man at dead ball situations. No physical presence. Don't rate him but to be fair to the lad when he signed for us on loan he probably didnt think he was entering the twilight zone.
REDBUCK

« Reply #232 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 13:28:19 »

Are there youth teamers who deserve a run out?

Having watched the yoofs just about beat AFC Sudbury I have to say I wasn't overly encouraged about our future prospects. Generally speaking Sudbury looked more physical and determined than our U18s much as Eastleigh were v the First Team.

Twine has been getting some goals and got two more to get us through yesterday but looks very slight at the moment. However clearly knows where the goal is as 2 very decent finishes.

Jordan Young started up top with him, missed a sitter in the 2nd minute and slightly disappointed throughout. Some nice touches but to me at least gave off the impression that he felt youth team games were slightly beneath him now. Picked up a knock in extra time and might as well not have been on the pitch for all he contributed in the last 15 minutes.

Other than them Frimpong at Centre half was man of the match with a pretty rugged display and he also scored the opening goal. Not too many there that looked particularly like they would progress through to a pro deal.

You didn't get the mail about all the Ages groups playing the same way then.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 13:33:36 »

Lowlights....Jeeesh..

That fourth goal was schoolboy stuff.

Losing...playing shit...didn't get a decision...lash out.

Should be dropped for that...

Clems Army!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:03:54 »

Our "highlight" seemed to be a complete air shot by Rodgers.We are becoming good at those lately

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:05:37 »

I was stood in the clubhouse at Kettering where Sid was playing pool and there was a scuffle and I had my back to it but I know knives were flashed around by Cobblers fans and a pool cue was swinging and I saw Sid with his eye bleeding,

Last thing I heard about Sid was getting banned for attacking the ref or linesman on the pitch around the mid to late 90s. Don't remember who it was against, I worked with Sid back in 82-83 at the BR rail works apprentice training school.
we need "battlers"

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:14:11 »

Jesus christ. What was BOO trying to do with the 4th?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:22:17 »

we need "battlers"
As compared to bottlers!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:36:41 »

Around 1.5 million. Thats what it was last season. If it's higher than that with the dross we have signed then thats even worse.

Yeah it is worse then, as its actually 1.9 million Power stated on the radio, took us into mid table on wage budget.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 14:59:21 »

It's interesting that Dale could be without so many first picks and yet still field a team with a balance of youth and experience. Fellas like Keith Keane and Jim McNulty 550 league games between them.  Not a fee paid and a good number of kids picked up on a free, or through their yoofs.

Power clearly thought an old hand was necessary, when Darren Ward was earmarked as the experience on the pitch, only for him to struggle a bit with the pace, got replaced by albeit a very good kid in Stephens, so I think it was decided we could get away with it. Nathan being put into the role.

It seems it's Williams who thinks we can get away without experience.  In essence then Sherwood has to make a couple of shrewd signings as early in Jan as possible, otherwise can only see Div 4 next season.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: