Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Triathlon  (Read 1969 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 19:38:18 »

Now that our little lass has turned 1 I hope I may get some time and want to try and get some fitness back.

Always fancied tri and have done 10k runs in past and 70+ mile bike rides so that should be ok if I got the fitness back but....

Whilst I swim breast stroke pretty strongly I cannot and have never been able to do crawl.  Has anyone learn this so late in life (I am heading to 40) or is it too late to learn?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 21:33:19 »

One of my mates (admittedly a fair bit younger than you) recently took up Tris and from the same background as you- handy cyclist/runner but feck all swimming and he's doing okay: it takes a bit of practice and it's still his worst suit by miles but if you're not desperate to be winning the things then that's okay.

You get 'sprint' triathlons with fairly low swimming distances (like 400m) and in a pool, I'm fairly keen to try one of those.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 9, 2014, 23:23:45 »

I've done a few and seen people do them breast stroke. If I was you I'd suck it up and have some lessons. I am sure you could find private ones somewhere if you didn't want to go public.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it - do you want a goal or want to think about doing more than one Tri? The cycle then the run are the biggest part of the tri so these are where you will gain and lose time - not so much the swim. I've seen people do the bike leg on mountain bikes who I've pissed passed, equally I've nailed people on the swim only to see them leave me standing on the bike leg.

Don't know if that helps or I am just waffling. If you find a Tri with a pool swim these tend to have shorter swim distances anyway so again you wont be hindered too much
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 10, 2014, 08:04:25 »

One of my mates (admittedly a fair bit younger than you) recently took up Tris and from the same background as you- handy cyclist/runner but feck all swimming and he's doing okay: it takes a bit of practice and it's still his worst suit by miles but if you're not desperate to be winning the things then that's okay.

You get 'sprint' triathlons with fairly low swimming distances (like 400m) and in a pool, I'm fairly keen to try one of those.

You're based in London aren't you Nemo? There's one as you describe coming up at the end of April near Hampton Court - 400m swim/22km ride/5k run. Will be my first Tri of any sort, looking forward to it.

http://raceseries.thamesturbo.com/

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 10, 2014, 19:50:36 »

Thanks mate.  Will take a serious look but may be too soon, even that swim sounds bloody hideous at the moment, haven't really swam since I was 7...
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 14:34:56 »

Look for duathlons? Marlow had one on Sunday- 7k run- 25k cycle- 7k run.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 07:48:55 »

Rule 42 !

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: