Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 ... 869   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1284558 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #6510 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:11:36 »

This photo amused me. We've got bigger balls!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6511 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:20:22 »

The Fitton era may have had more money to throw at things - but they left us with that debenture - not good. At least Clem wants to put the club on a sustainable footing which can only be good - the Fitton era resulted in Power. Hopefully when Clem goes , if and when we are sustainable the club will be far more attractive a proposition for future owners. That's got to be the hope.

I think there are actually two distinctive era's in Blacks ownership, the Fitton era where we seemed to be looking at the club as a whole going forward, but then the Wray era which bought some good football times (at great cost) but literally sweet fanny adams in terms of wider club infrastructure and forward planning, the costs of which seem to have finally spooked Black and Arbib and led us ultimately to where we are now.

Looking at this, in 12 years, nothing has really changed. https://web.archive.org/web/20110430053216/http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/8802780.AGM_reveals__profitable__Swindon_Town/
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6512 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:27:33 »

This photo amused me. We've got bigger balls!

They've changed the lotto rules so if you match 2 balls you get some money, (£50 this time) which I think is a good touch.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6513 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:28:50 »

They've changed the lotto rules so if you match 2 balls you get some money, (£50 this time) which I think is a good touch.
Ha TBF I looked quick and thought you only posted that because there was a (Bobs) Chocolate Orange on the table Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6514 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:30:04 »

Down to 900-1, 300 people doing it ? Seems a much better idea tbf.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6515 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:30:22 »

Ha TBF I looked quick and thought you only posted that because there was a (Bobs) Chocolate Orange on the table Smiley

I used to get bought a Terry's Chocolate Orange every year by the same distant family member. I hate Chocolate Orange so my stepdad was always grateful!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6516 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:33:53 »

I’ve had the opportunity to talk to Clem many times, he comes across as a genuine guy.

I'm sure he realises the damage Power left behind. That's why 'open and transparent' was born after all.

If you break that "contract" and also associate with people of previously dubious character what do you think will happen?

I'm not calling it one way or another. I genuinely hope he's exactly what he seems.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6517 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 10:38:51 »

I used to get bought a Terry's Chocolate Orange every year by the same distant family member. I hate Chocolate Orange so my stepdad was always grateful!

It's not Christmas without a chocolate orange!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6518 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 11:03:37 »

It's not Christmas without a chocolate orange!
You know its Boxing Day when you have it for breakfast!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6519 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 11:43:36 »

The Fitton era may have had more money to throw at things - but they left us with that debenture - not good. At least Clem wants to put the club on a sustainable footing which can only be good - the Fitton era resulted in Power. Hopefully when Clem goes , if and when we are sustainable the club will be far more attractive a proposition for future owners. That's got to be the hope.

You see, just as some are pointed at for spreading rumour and opinion as fact, you have this.  The Debenture was not a bad thing - it had been sat there for 10 years without being called in.  It had very clear requirements - sale of business or significant asset movements.  It was simply a type of loan that didn't need monthly repayments.

On top of that, you mention it like Black left us in the shit as a result - he paid off Debentures worth almost as much when he took over (Shaw Park Developments - St Modwen) and he wrote off all of the debt the club accrued under their stewardship - about 12m.

If you want to knock them for something, knock them for having a squad we couldn't afford once new owners took over.  Something that caused us a headache for about 6 months.  After that we reset.

There is one thing that has made the club more attractive - the gifting of the Ground share to the club by Eady.  About the only person in the past 10 years to have done anything GOOD for the club.

And I am not saying, and never had said, that Clem is a bad person or doing nefarious things. 
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #6520 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 11:59:52 »

And I am not saying, and never had said, that Clem is a bad person or doing nefarious things. 
I'd like to echo this point.

I think it's fine to question inconsistencies in what we are told without making it personal to Clem, thinking that he's actually done anything wrong or hoping for a conspiracy to uncover!

Simultaneously I understand why others aren't, which is equally fine

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #6521 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:03:33 »

I'd like to echo this point.

I think it's fine to question inconsistencies in what we are told without making it personal to Clem, thinking that he's actually done anything wrong or hoping for a conspiracy to uncover!

Simultaneously I understand why others aren't, which is equally fine
Completely agree and echo this point too.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #6522 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:03:40 »

Just watched the interview with Clem Morfuni and others.
There is no denying that Morfuni can tell a good story and as said previously if he had not gotten involved when he did STFC would not be here today.
Not saying he is a saint or a sinner but the club will be  in a relationship with him for a long time to come.
Just hope that Lady Luck keeps smiling down on us and the current performances on the pitch continues.
COYMs
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:06:49 by Robinz » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6523 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:06:55 »

The big question that fans can and should ask of any owner is, what have they done that ensures the future success of the club and business?.

It has to be something hard, like a physical asset, or something around clearing (not moving) debt of significant value etc.

As an example, if I think of Clem's tenure, there is maybe one thing right now - the paying down of the Debenture, as it was secured against the assets of the business and could have caused risk (in theory at least, it seems to have been pretty benign for 10 years).  However, we don't actually know what the deal struck was that financed that payment, so we could still see the business on the hook.   There is some evidence that it caused some pretty fundamental changes to the Holding Co structure and rules of operating.  So right now, it's a maybe rather than a hard, factual, bit of improvement that creates a better club/business for the future.

Under Clem, I am struggling.  Everything that I can say is good, is transient in nature - he has managed a period where out attendances have increased, which is very good.  There is no guarantee they would sustain that level.  Same for season ticket sales, but again they reset every year.  The debt has been made softer, but it is still debt - we only have his word he won't call it in, which has proven to be a bit "loose" with the truth.

The current Manager seems a good pick - and we know how long that can last and how quickly it can unravel if it does end.

Other than that, there are a lot of words, but nothing concrete.

That's how I want him measured - something that can outlast him.

Maybe the Ground development will be that thing?  I hope so.  He has been handed a gift here, I really hope it's the one thing he knows how to get right because it has the makings of being a very good thing to get right.

The problem with not doing those things is you'll get measured by some of the other shit you get wrong - and there has been plenty.  We fucked up last season in a footballing sense.  We spent too much money on players and Managers, causing some financial heartburn.  We have done nothing to improve the Academy that lasts.  We got embroiled in some silly Visa scheme in Pakistan.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:09:28 by RobertT » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6524 on: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12:15:47 »

Not sure if it’s been mentioned or if it’s that important but it’s good to know any pay off for Morris/Brand will be finished in a couple of months. Something else poor old Clem wasn’t entirely sure when.
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 [435] 436 437 438 ... 869   Go Up
Print
Jump to: