Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 372480 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1395 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 15:04:44 »

He's looked reasonable in last 3 to be fair. I think there is an underlying feeling he'd be great in the right setup. I've just no confidence we will set up that way.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1396 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 16:23:21 »

I just think he doesn't offer enough "different" to warrant taking a squad place.  We need some wide forwards, we only really have Shade and he is shit.  We need something different.  If Austin wants to stick around, then Austin and Wakeling are the two you go for in the central scoring positions.  You maybe look for a bit of a battering ram type to change it up a bit, but you certainly need some players who can play out wide in attack (or convert Hutton).
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1397 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 17:12:05 »

Fair enough.Not sure about the intricacies of "set up". Throughout his career it seems that if he gets 3 chances he on average takes 1. I think most set ups have the purpose of creating chances. But, that's just my view.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 17:14:32 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1398 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 08:52:07 »

I personally don't detest Sandro as many do. I think he's working to the remit he's been given. Go out, identify young players who can improve. sign them. It's not up to him to coach them. If fans aren't happy with the model, Clem is as much to blame. He employed him.

I think this is the thing, have any of our young players been improved since they have been here, the trend instead seems to be start reasonably and then deteriorate, Morris may be a great coach (I think jury is still out on that one), but if you are trying to improve young players confidence will forma big part of that and him coming out in post match pressers and saying that they are not good enough is really not going to help.

As for Jephcott v. Austin, Jephcott has done well on the rare occasions that he has been played in position and provided with service. A fit Austin is obviously a better player, but will he ever be fit enough to play 90 mins and 2 games a week, otherwise its a shit load of wage to tie up in a player who can't play every game, bearing in mind he will be a year older next year as well.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #1399 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 11:49:35 »

I would say thank you and goodbye to Austin now.
If Morris wants us to press from the front, Austin isn’t mobile enough or quick enough to fill that role, and from my observations (we have a good view of the dug out from our seats in the Arkells) when he starts a home he usually comes across to say he’s “done” at some point between 65 and 75 minutes. This happened at Sutton away too. It is also likely to be the case that he can’t start Saturday /Tuesday/Saturday any more.
I would prefer us to sign a hold up player with pace who could provide what Simpson did in the first half of last season, as I think that would be a better fit for our preferred style, and also help us relieve pressure / get up the pitch better than we have managed in some games. Before anyone replies, I know Simpson won’t be an option - I am highlighting the type of player needed.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1400 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 12:12:06 »

Ref Jephcott not sure he has shown enough to warrant a permanent deal here, I would like to think we can do better, and Austin I'd like to see him stay but it may comes down to what he wants to be paid, he is a proven goal scorer who given the service will score goals, but if he wants to be the highest earner then I'd allow him to go, but it may also come down to any agreement he had with Clem when he came in
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1401 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 12:12:18 »

My feeling is stick with a 442 but bring in a genuine right back and put Hutton on the right hand side of midfield, he is the best crosser of the ball we have
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1402 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 13:44:38 »

My feeling is stick with a 442 but bring in a genuine right back and put Hutton on the right hand side of midfield, he is the best crosser of the ball we have

Agree with that, but would sell if a good enough offer came in.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1403 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:31:45 »

https://www.totalswindon.com/sport/jody-morris-said-finances-will-likely-get-in-the-way-of-swindon-signing-joe-tomlinson/
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1404 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:43:14 »

What the fuck were we doing signing him on loan with a view to a perm deal when he was injured for then?  An utter waste of a another squad slot for half a season.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1405 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:46:38 »

What the fuck were we doing signing him on loan with a view to a perm deal when he was injured for then?  An utter waste of a another squad slot for half a season.

Yes, none of this adds up. We knew he was injured so the loan was largely meaningless and yet the terms of the permanent deal are out of our league...?

Either Sandro shat his pants on deadline day and tried to generate some goodwill by bringing in a popular player, or there is a game afoot, from Morris or from the club.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1406 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 14:47:29 »

The blind, it seems, are being led by the decapitated.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #1407 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 15:07:43 »

It's quite possible we agreed it on that basis in case we were promoted to league one and could then afford the fees agreed.
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #1408 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 15:14:57 »

If JM thinks it is silly money then obviously Tomlinson's agent is asking too much. You don't just pay what is being asked!

The player probably does not know what his agent is doing.  I'm sure there will be a meeting of minds. If not, then bye bye!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1409 on: Thursday, April 27, 2023, 15:17:40 »

I'll sit in the treatment room for half the price.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 ... 210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: