Poll
Question: What nickname should STFC have?
Robins - 11 (10.8%)
Railwaymen - 7 (6.9%)
Moonrakers - 45 (44.1%)
Spartans - 17 (16.7%)
Other - 5 (4.9%)
Not remotely arsed - 17 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 92

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Change of nickname?  (Read 9143 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 08:33:29 »

Original is best = Spartans

Awoo!
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 08:46:30 »

I've never once heard 'The Robins' from the stands.  It's a term used by journalists and programme writers only. 

Spot on.  Nicknames Irrelevant.

I particularly like when Liverpool are referred to as The Reds when they're in their away kit.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:10:01 »

I think it's because the official name of the county is Royal Berkshire

Should be named after the Berkshire Hunt

yep "The Berkshire Hunts" suits Reading,though I always thought they were the"Biscuitmen"

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:11:24 »

The "Yoyos" seems appropriate.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
kerry red

« Reply #34 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:17:28 »

yep "The Berkshire Hunts" suits Reading,though I always thought they were the"Biscuitmen"

Well, I suppose since Jacobs biscuit factory went tits up that's about as appropriate as te Railwaymen for us
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #35 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:24:12 »

Spartans.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:37:12 »

Well, I suppose since Jacobs biscuit factory went tits up that's about as appropriate as the Railwaymen for us

It was Huntley and Palmer in Reading...Town v Reading, when I was a kid, was Railwaymen v Biscuitmen...now if we ever play them again, it's the M4 derby.  The romance has just gone form modern football...

Sunderland changed their nickname, which was the Rokerites, when they moved ground...maybe we should just change the colour of the shirts like Cardiff, to give a reason for the proposed change.

If we went for black shirts...then it might keep PdC for a bit longer..
kerry red

« Reply #37 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:44:27 »

Actually, when you look at most club's nicknames they aren't very inspiring - very pre-war grey

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 16:59:05 »

Actually, when you look at most club's nicknames they aren't very inspiring - very pre-war grey

If it's romantic nicknames you want, then look no further, than the soon to be independent, land of the Sweatie, where micro clubs have wonderful nicknames...eg Sam Parkin's Queen of the South...The Doonhammers, Partick Thistle...The Jags, Montrose..The Gable Endies, Forfar Athletic...The Loons, Dundee United...The Terrors, Stenhousemuir...The Warriors, Clyde..The Bully Wee, Ayr....The Honest Men, Arbroath...Red Lichties, Cowdenbeath...The Blue Brazil.
Barry Scott

« Reply #39 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:11:44 »

My favourite, if only for it's sheer cuntyness, and the fact I only learned of it recently, is Notts Forest's. The Tricky Trees.
kerry red

« Reply #40 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:17:02 »

If it's romantic nicknames you want, then look no further, than the soon to be independent, land of the Sweatie, where micro clubs have wonderful nicknames...eg Sam Parkin's Queen of the South...The Doonhammers, Partick Thistle...The Jags, Montrose..The Gable Endies, Forfar Athletic...The Loons, Dundee United...The Terrors, Stenhousemuir...The Warriors, Clyde..The Bully Wee, Ayr....The Honest Men, Arbroath...Red Lichties, Cowdenbeath...The Blue Brazil.

That's more like it.

Yet again the English come up with dull and boring
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:21:46 »

My favourite, if only for it's sheer cuntyness, and the fact I only learned of it recently, is Notts Forest's. The Tricky Trees.
Forgot that Barry, it's seldom mentioned by Forest fans but has been around for a while. Apparently It's also mentioned on the football manager game.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:27:46 »

How about "The Lardys" . . can you still get them?
Grays bakery used to do the best ones in town.
kerry red

« Reply #43 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:33:31 »

On a bit of a serious note - it could be a great PR exercise for the club to ask people to come up with  new nickname.

Could involve the whole community and perhaps get a few more people interested in the club.

red socks

« Reply #44 on: Monday, October 22, 2012, 17:51:25 »

On a bit of a serious note - it could be a great PR exercise for the club to ask people to come up with  new nickname.

Could involve the whole community and perhaps get a few more people interested in the club.

Fuck that for a game of conkers, can you imagine some of the shite suggestions there would be
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: