Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walsall v Swindon Town pre/Matchday Thread -  (Read 16687 times)
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:42:45 »

Oh, and I want to eat humble pie a year from now on this next point, please.

You cannot build a team at this level purely on the data approach we have taken of trying to get an, almost, entire squad of rough diamonds.  I am a data person, spent 25+ years working in that area in my career, and it most certainly has a place in sport, including football.  Taking on someone like Sandro is not a bad idea.  Having a top 5 budget (which we should) in Div 4 should provide enough flexibility to use that data recruitment as a supplement.  You get a team together to win this fucking league first, then you add the pixie dust after.  A minimum of maybe 8 players need to make up your core that would walk into any other team in the Division.  Who do we have?

Reed, Williams, McKirdy, maybe McDonald based on past reputation, Gladwin at a push.  It's not enough and one or two of them are off the boil.

Off topic, and hate to single out players, but seriously have not seen a lot from Jonny Williams that would suggest he walks straight into every other L2 team. On reputation he does, but he’s looked a good L2 midfielder, without being spectacular imo. Maybe should’ve lowered my expectation when he did sign.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:45:06 »

Lindsey has fallen on his feet getting this gig - let’s be frank, the club made a right mess of the recruitment process and he was a desperate appointment when we’d been knocked back elsewhere. He didn’t apply and wasn’t even interviewed ffs - he wouldn’t get a look in to be a manager at any other FL club.

He hasn’t helped himself tonight and it seems mad to say it so early on in the season but a defeat on Saturday and he is under pressure.

Like everyone, I’d love him to be a success but the early evidence is concerning. I’d include Sandro in that statement too - a big few weeks for him.

Spot on
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:46:46 »

https://twitter.com/erichall3467/status/1557108476836552704

Says Lindsay sacked tonight, Sol Campbell replacement   Head Hurts

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:48:09 »

https://twitter.com/erichall3467/status/1557108476836552704

Says Lindsay sacked tonight, Sol Campbell replacement   Head Hurts
Graham Rix as assistant? Wink
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:49:21 »

The dream team.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:50:19 »

Ref waves play on, then when they screw up the advantage, awards the pen and sends our lad off.

Another crap ref.

On another note, we created sod all and have no goal threat.

Also worth noting he gave it as offside originally until his lino gave him an earful.

Lindsey said the tackle was outside the box.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:52:47 »

Also worth noting he gave it as offside originally until his lino gave him an earful.

Lindsey said the tackle was outside the box.

Didn't realise that, especially as the lino flagged got offside.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:54:40 »

Didn't realise that, especially as the lino flagged got offside.

The radio commentary were pretty certain it was a pen.  Their description was the linesman flagging, ref thinking it was offside as a result, linesman continued flagging to get attention and then consulted to come to the penalty decision.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 20:59:18 »

The radio commentary were pretty certain it was a pen.  Their description was the linesman flagging, ref thinking it was offside as a result, linesman continued flagging to get attention and then consulted to come to the penalty decision.

Looked a clear pen, but the ref played advantage, which they messed up by being offside.  The lino didn't have his flag across his chest, but out as for offside.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:05:00 »

Oh, and I want to eat humble pie a year from now on this next point, please.

You cannot build a team at this level purely on the data approach we have taken of trying to get an, almost, entire squad of rough diamonds.  I am a data person, spent 25+ years working in that area in my career, and it most certainly has a place in sport, including football.  Taking on someone like Sandro is not a bad idea.  Having a top 5 budget (which we should) in Div 4 should provide enough flexibility to use that data recruitment as a supplement.  You get a team together to win this fucking league first, then you add the pixie dust after.  A minimum of maybe 8 players need to make up your core that would walk into any other team in the Division.  Who do we have?

Reed, Williams, McKirdy, maybe McDonald based on past reputation, Gladwin at a push.  It's not enough and one or two of them are off the boil.

Unless I've missed something, I'm pretty sure Sandro has said its a combined approach with more traditional scouting.  I'm unclear how we would have loads of stats on a lot of players we have signed, as they haven't played much football?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:09:53 »

Unless I've missed something, I'm pretty sure Sandro has said its a combined approach with more traditional scouting.  I'm unclear how we would have loads of stats on a lot of players we have signed, as they haven't played much football?

I know, and I am suggesting that is a bad way to recruit a squad.  The first 7-8 names on your team sheet should be very well known quantities or outstanding talents from leagues above.  We appear to have limited our recruitment first up by going for the younger players come what may.  Sandro has made it clear the model is bringing in youth, almost at all costs.  Take Man City - I very much doubt they needed to run Haaland's numbers through a data team first - you just sign the fucker if you can.  They take plenty of punts (because they can afford to) and youngsters from around the world, but they don't create their first team from them.  They nurture them and gradually bring them into the first team culture.  I know they are, literally, in a different league, but anything is only good in moderation, and they know it.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:09:55 »

Did he say anything on the radio?
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:10:11 »

Doesn't matter how good the recruitment is if the manager is useless.
Attacking football my arse

It's clueless football, watched 6 halves of football and 5 were relegation level.  We don't even get touches in the box.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:12:19 »

I know, and I am suggesting that is a bad way to recruit a squad.  The first 7-8 names on your team sheet should be very well known quantities or outstanding talents from leagues above.  We appear to have limited our recruitment first up by going for the younger players come what may.  Sandro has made it clear the model is bringing in youth, almost at all costs.  Take Man City - I very much doubt they needed to run Haaland's numbers through a data team first - you just sign the fucker if you can.  They take plenty of punts (because they can afford to) and youngsters from around the world, but they don't create their first team from them.  They nurture them and gradually bring them into the first team culture.  I know they are, literally, in a different league, but anything is only good in moderation, and they know it.

My point was that it isn't a data only recruitment, which people seem to fixate on.  Now agreed we need a few more experienced players in but comparing us to Man City, gave me a chuckle!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2022, 21:16:17 »

I want to know if Sandro was successful at Wigan how did he end up in the basement league.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: