Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Credit crunch  (Read 2656 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 11:08:32 »

Here's a thought...

You assemble a private equity consortium to take over a struggling football club with potential that you believe you will be able to turn around.  You believe you can create a profit for yourself at the same time as turning the club around and leaving it in a better state than when you found it.  [Did you see what I did there...benefit of the doubt!]

Then the sub-prime mortgage market in the US collapses and stocks plummet on exchanges all around the world as credit dries up.  The private equity industry, which relies on credit to finance its highly leveraged investments, tanks.

Might it be that the silence from the new investors is due to a case of rather bad timing?  Might the investment be at risk due to the turmoil this week in the financial markets?  Please forgive the idle speculation, but it is all we have right now.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 11:11:52 »

It might be.

Then again they might be travelling to a game in an aeroplane that crashes, leaving them in hospital for months...........nah it'll never happen!

/
W56196272
broomfield

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 11:13:39 »

Good point!
There doesn't appear to be a financial institution either side of the Atlantic that isn't feeling the effecfts of the current stock market problems.

If our new 'Lord and Masters' are heavily into the financial market as stated, this takeover could be very bad timing!!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 11:21:05 »

Quote from: "broomfield"
Good point!
There doesn't appear to be a financial institution either side of the Atlantic that isn't feeling the effecfts of the current stock market problems.

If our new 'Lord and Masters' are heavily into the financial market as stated, this takeover could be very bad timing!!

Then surely they wouldn't have signed the contract on Tues?

There's an almost endless number of reasons why the bought the club and the same number of reasons why they haven't publicly said anything as yet.

I think we should all come up with a reason, the more outlandish the better.

We're bound to get it right eventually.....................

It's All Good..............
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 11:25:14 »

Quote from: "herthab"
Quote from: "broomfield"
Good point!

Then surely they wouldn't have signed the contract on Tues?

There's an almost endless number of reasons why the bought the club and the same number of reasons why they haven't publicly said anything as yet.

Good idea - I'll start...

They have a genuine love of Swindon Town and would like to see us prosper

:omg2:
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 12:03:15 »

They have taken over the club in order to asset strip it (whoooooa all those assets!)  and make no investment in the playing side.

Coupled with paying the clubs millions of pounds of debts and bringing in terrible Portugese players, thus forcing Sturrock to resign and be replaced by Rufus Brevitt this is an excellent oportunity to make loads and loads of money

I think I've got it
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 12:11:42 »

The new investor is Helen Keller, or possibly Dr Stephen Hawking and his wheelchair's batteries are currently being recharged?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 12:16:06 »

Elvis is not really dead and will make a comeback statement via STFC. However he is currently stuck airside at Burger King trying to eat off a mega deathday celabration hangover.

This can be backed up by people having seen Elvis working in prominant chip shops in the Cork area.
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 12:21:26 »

No serious investment exists and this new holding company is a front for Diamandis and co to move the club to junction 17?
lambourn red

« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 12:46:25 »

Quote from: "The_Plagiarist"
No serious investment exists and this new holding company is a front for Diamandis and co to move the club to junction 17?

:groan1:
flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 13:20:53 »

With the takeover stuff all sorted. The boring cunts who sit refreshing the boardroom section of the tef whilst making the same post over and over again will either a) fuck off or b) become interesting.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 13:45:53 »

On a serious note (and as I alluded to at the end of my initial post), we shouldn't have to resort to speculation.  The absence of communication is very odd, and people are completely within their rights to remain sceptical while this persists.

I do not know of any other football takeover (and most, let's face it, are a great deal more high profile than this one) where secrecy has been maintained to this degree...not just before the event, but now (supposedly) a full three days after it has been signed and sealed.  Something does not feel right here.
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 13:54:43 »

Quote from: "lambourn red"
Quote from: "The_Plagiarist"

:groan1:

(whoosh)
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 13:55:24 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"

With the takeover stuff all sorted. The boring cunts who sit refreshing the boardroom section of the tef whilst making the same post over and over again will either a) fuck off or b) become interesting.

Get back in general discussion and hit F5 you boring cunt
flammableBen

« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 17, 2007, 14:29:58 »

I spread my boringness through out all sections of the forum freely.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: