Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 199492 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1155 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 12:23:48 »

They did for the World Test Final, but logistically it's very difficult for every game, having all the suppliers, broadcasters etc. just on hold in case.

I get what you're saying just seems a shame if we don't get enough play today to get a result rather than the draw.

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 13:05:21 »

What's the weather doing at Old Trafford anybody🤔

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1157 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 13:11:07 »

What's the weather doing at Old Trafford anybody🤔

They started an hour ag... only joking. It's raining, watch the golf.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 13:15:11 »

They started an hour ag... only joking. It's raining, watch the golf.

You went get me on that one again😆

Cheers Nemo at least play won't get interrupted unless there's a just stop oil protest🤣

So, give no fucks
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 14:12:47 »

If the Aussies retain the Ashes because of the weather after getting a pummelling through this whole test match, it'll be a travesty.

So frustrating.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 14:17:23 »

Any likelihood of play today?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 14:29:52 »

Any likelihood of play today?

Isn’t looking promising at the moment.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 14:37:13 »

Looks like game over but Monday looks fine😡

* IMG_4837.PNG (313.29 KB, 1536x1758 - viewed 36 times.)

So, give no fucks
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 14:39:57 »

One day cricket will stop shooting itself in the foot, such as the ridiculous lunch break earlier when it wasn’t raining. One day…
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 16:27:13 »

And there it is. Disappointing as going the Oval at 2-2 would have set up the most brilliant finale, but rain happens, especially in Manchester.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 16:28:39 »

should we have declared earlier?

I don't think there was enough time either way tbh
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 16:40:37 »

Nahh, right call was made just silly rules based on weather deciding the outcome of a game. I've no idea why at Ashes level at least, they can't suspend play (like in Tennis) and then continue where they left off.

It's not like rain in the UK is a new thing. Makes a bit of a mockery of a sport at Pro Level where a game can't be completed. It must be a near unique thing in sport. We geg postponements but ultimately games continue again.

Either that or they need to introduce some form of Duckworyh Lewis Method into Test Cricket. Not perfect but better than just a rain crested draw.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 16:52:34 »

Rewriting the rules of the game as established for over 150 years because it rained on two days of one games would be an overreaction. This is the first draw in 17 tests since McCullum took charge, these things happen. The logistics of having every game play to a full conclusion no matter how many days that takes would be completely unachievable.

Is it frustrating today? Absolutely. But ultimately saying it's the deciding factor in the series is rather choosing to forget the first two tests the Aussies won.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 17:03:53 »

Rewriting the rules of the game as established for over 150 years because it rained on two days of one games would be an overreaction. This is the first draw in 17 tests since McCullum took charge, these things happen. The logistics of having every game play to a full conclusion no matter how many days that takes would be completely unachievable.

Is it frustrating today? Absolutely. But ultimately saying it's the deciding factor in the series is rather choosing to forget the first two tests the Aussies won.

But it is a defining point of the series so yes it is important. I'm not advocating the complete Chang NG of the rules am I? I literally just stated an amendment or introducing a version of D/L like all limited overs games do.

I couldn't really care if the sport is 2yrs or 200yrs old. There have been much more major ammendments,, like introducing technology to ensure correct decisions.

But ok then, stick a retractable roof on the major cricket grounds then. I'm sure there's some science on the optimum height it would need to be to ensure clearance and these things are atmospherically intelligent, so conditions could be programmed to suit the weather conditions and humidity prior to a delay. Works for Tennis. Even if it took 2hrs to close and equalise the conditions, it would still mean you get a good chunk of play done.

Serious question and I know in part it's because Test Cricket doesn't have limited overs but why hasn't there been a Duckworth-Lewis-Stern equivalent created in order to set a target when there is a rain delay? Surely they could calculated an "expected overs" per day/innings and still calculate a run rate based of that (and remaining wickets of course).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1169 on: Sunday, July 23, 2023, 17:09:34 »

Removing the draw would be an enormous change of the rules, yes. England have drawn about a third of the tests they've ever played. It would be a much bigger change than introducing DRS.

Putting a roof on a cricket ground would be monstrously expensive and possibly impossible from an engineering perspective, they're simply enormous, many many times higher footprint than centre court has, and circular. Maybe modern technology makes it more possible, but I certainly can't imagine it would be even close to economically viable.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: