Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Scunthorpe United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30227 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #120 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:01:04 »

Great result first game of the season with so little optimism from so many Town fans pre game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:05:46 »

We'll soon find out. Stay tuned.

They went on a great run last season in L2 and they've got a few 'names' - Deon Burton, Matt Sparrow, Paddy Madden, Gary McSheffrey, Miguel Llera et al.

not all that then

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:09:38 »

Great start - sounded pretty good on the commentary.

No doubt the result will prompt a few "Oooooh, it's only the first game of the season, let's not get carried away" comments.....

This got me to thinking - What does 'getting carried away' actually mean??

I'm really happy we won - am I 'getting carried away'?
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe we can be competitive this season - is that 'getting carried away'?

I suppose what I'm asking is what does 'getting carried away' actually involve? Do I have to do anything? I think I'd like to give it a try Hmmm
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:13:54 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
adje

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:16:40 »

3 makeable away games now-in the mood!

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:17:58 »

No doubt the result will prompt a few "Oooooh, it's only the first game of the season, let's not get carried away" comments.....
Cooper has already done that!

Fantastic result. Nice one Town. Look forward to the fan assessments..
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:18:10 »

not all that then

Yep... but they had 'names' compared to our ragtag bunch of misfits.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:19:09 »

We looked incredible going forward but worrisome at the back. It should be a fun season.
Flashheart

« Reply #127 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:27:07 »

Great start - sounded pretty good on the commentary.

This got me to thinking - What does 'getting carried away' actually mean??

I'm really happy we won - am I 'getting carried away'?
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe we can be competitive this season - is that 'getting carried away'?

I suppose what I'm asking is what does 'getting carried away' actually involve? Do I have to do anything? I think I'd like to give it a try Hmmm

Had we played poorly and list there'd be plenty saying we're going down.

So fuck it..... WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE (almost)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:32:28 »

Well that was enjoyable!!  We looked absolutely awesome at times - at other times naivety at the back almost cost us but overall we did well.  Wes pulled off some incredible saves to save us, but in the second half we almost totally controlled the game and only bad luck - or good luck on their parts - prevented more goals.  I thought M. Smith had his best game I have seen him play for us, Kasim was excellent and Nathan Byrne was a constant threat down the right.  However, I think there may be a bit of trouble ahead; the stewards are protesting because their wage slip had two extra deductions apart from tax!!  An admin charge of £1-50 per game and a £1 charge to go towards public liability!!  In addition the club is going to be reported to the Council because there is no tannoy working in the DRS, apparently they were warned after the Soton and Leeds games and have done nothing about it!!  Oh, where was the scoreboard today?  In its usual place but not working!!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:38:32 »

Bunch of kids beat a team of seasoned pro, comfortably in the end.

When we got the ball down and played we were absolutely superb. The midfield, governed in turns by Kasim and Luongo, were top notch and looked a constant threat.

Smith did a cracking job on his own, two proper strikers goals and linked the play nicely. Williams was lively when he came on too but the win was all about the midfield.

Defence.. shaky. To be expected from a bunch of kids, but they still made some cracking blocks and tackles (particularly N Thompson). The wing backs were lively, big shout to Byrne who I normally criticise but he was brilliant today.

Wes does what he always does.

Plenty of promise. Plenty to work on. Cracking start regardless!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:38:33 »

Well that was enjoyable!!  We looked absolutely awesome at times - at other times naivety at the back almost cost us but overall we did well.  Wes pulled off some incredible saves to save us, but in the second half we almost totally controlled the game and only bad luck - or good luck on their parts - prevented more goals.  I thought M. Smith had his best game I have seen him play for us, Kasim was excellent and Nathan Byrne was a constant threat down the right.  However, I think there may be a bit of trouble ahead; the stewards are protesting because their wage slip had two extra deductions apart from tax!!  An admin charge of £1-50 per game and a £1 charge to go towards public liability!!  In addition the club is going to be reported to the Council because there is no tannoy working in the DRS, apparently they were warned after the Soton and Leeds games and have done nothing about it!!  Oh, where was the scoreboard today?  In its usual place but not working!!

tin pot

adje

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:42:13 »

our man got MOM-go TEF!

manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:43:21 »

Well that allayed a few concerns, I think, although plenty still remain.

We looked incisive going forward, kept plenty of the ball and always looked comfortable when we had it, Yasser pulled the strings in midfield and looked at his sublime best at times.

Brad Smith looks the part defensively and going forward, and Byrne looked a far better player than the one we saw most of last season.

The main weakness is obvious. We need Stephens in asap or someone to steady the ship at the back. They killed our momentum after the second goal with a bit of pissing about timewasting, but it seemed to work, and after that they popped with a few chances from nothing that they really should have made more of than they did.

But still, overall we controlled it and actually it should have been a lot more than 3 in the end.

Disappointing attendance I thought for the first game of the season although a few more displays like that and they'll all flock back i'm sure.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:45:03 by manc_red » Logged
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #133 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:50:55 »

In summary, I think we dominated the possession and had great joy down the wings. Brad Smith needs to learn to have a controlled cross as he has potential for a lot of assists this season but a lot of wild Hollywood first time crosses which evaded everyone. Give him time it will come.

My major concern as highlighted by their goal is that we're not dominant enough at the back. If we come up against a more physical team we'll be in trouble. Their goal came from a flick on and the other 2 centre halves were too wide and too deep to deal with the the flick on.

Wes saved us a few times and their woeful finishing meant it wasn't as convincing as the score line suggests.

Encouraging but still room for improvement.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 16:55:26 by Jimmy Glass is an Alien » Logged
normy

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, August 9, 2014, 17:07:24 »

I haven't attended for three years for several reasons, but I was very impressed with the midfield and the approach play on the deck, best I've seen for many years. I think I will be tempted back again especially if the centreback positions are sorted out.

ust be the oldest
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: