Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Paying" your partner.  (Read 2352 times)
BANGKOK RED

« on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 09:37:04 »

This is something that actually gets under my skin for some reason, it mostly seems to be an American thing.

Here is a typical comment from an American on a forum out here:
My wife has been a good partner and I have rewarded her appropriately.

Following that I added a comment about how much salary he gives her as a bit of a dig to which he didn't even react. He sees nothing wrong with it, he actually pays his wife a set amount each month that she is 'allowed' to spend on herself.

I can't see myself being in a relationship where 'love' was quantified and if my misses lacked enough dignity to allow me to treat her as an employee, then she wouldn't be my wife. I can understand when people may give 'house-keeping' to housewives, but that is more budgeting though I think.

What would the girls on her think about being "appropriately rewarded" for being a good partner?

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 10:03:55 »

The sentiment is obviously pretty hollow, but if she's a housewife and he's minted I can see how he might be giving her a bit to spend each month. though directly linking companionship and financial reward, by saying "My wife has been a good partner and I have rewarded her appropriately", is a little suspect.

each to their own though
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 10:13:19 »

I might suggest it to my missus - although I think I would be looking for somewhere else to live pretty quickly  Cheesy

Wise men say........
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 11:10:59 »

If my other half started trying to allocate me funds each month to spend, Ill tell him where to go.  Surely being married means 50/50 in every sense!

I actually knew someone who allocated his wife money each month and she actually broke down on the side of the road as he didnt give her enough money for her petrol!

I would have left the scrooge a long time ago if that were me!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 11:15:06 »

If I'm honest, I do remember my Grandpa saying something similar on a number of occasions.  I think this kind of view of relationships/marriage was commonplace in the 1950s (when, I'm sure, nothing bad was thought of it).  Completely inappropriate in the 2010s though!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 12:06:24 »

If I'm honest, I do remember my Grandpa saying something similar on a number of occasions.  I think this kind of view of relationships/marriage was commonplace in the 1950s (when, I'm sure, nothing bad was thought of it).  Completely inappropriate in the 2010s though!
The general view of gender roles were different back then though. Women still did stay at home to cook and clean. The financial situation was also a lot more precarious for most households.

Given that America (supposedly) builds itself on ideas of freedom and equality, I think it's ridiculous that some relationships work in the way mentioned. If you love and trust each other enough to get married, you should have the trust and respect for each other to be able to jointly manage your finances.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 12:35:06 »

I actually knew someone who allocated his wife money each month and she actually broke down on the side of the road as he didnt give her enough money for her petrol!

You mean she spent it all on other stuff Wink
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 12:55:35 »

If my other half started trying to allocate me funds each month to spend, Ill tell him where to go.  Surely being married means 50/50 in every sense!

I would have left the scrooge a long time ago if that were me!

I'm hardly surprised she didn't receive enough money. Any sensible wife would have looked at the fuel gauge first, and, after rational consideration she should have taken up the healthier option of walking instead.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 19:09:40 »

If being appropriatley rewarded means diamonds then Im all for it!! If it means a bit of money for grocerys bore off! Haha! 
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:08:26 »

is 'bore off' your latest saying JFW?
Talk Talk

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 7, 2010, 00:54:21 »

The general view of gender roles were different back then though. Women still did stay at home to cook and clean. The financial situation was also a lot more precarious for most households.

And you think it is different now?

NAAAT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: