Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 748488 times)
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #1905 on: Sunday, June 14, 2015, 21:11:25 »

Last Monday I did a charity cycle ride from Bath to swindon via Stonehenge, approx 75 miles. I've kind of been bitten by the cycling bug and am looking to get a semi decent road bike. We have a cycle to work scheme, but their requirement is that I have buy from halfords. With this in mind, and with a budget of £500 (possibly more depending on bike) what recommendations do you bike buffs have and what sort of things should I be looking for?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1906 on: Sunday, June 14, 2015, 21:47:10 »

If you are limited to Halfrauds you can't go wrong with a Boardman

Steer clear of everything else.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1907 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 07:27:56 »

Being 'limited to Halfords' doesn't always mean what it says on the tin. Check with other shops. They sometimes have an arrangement to redeem 'Halfords only' vouchers.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1908 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 09:16:02 »

Evans are usually part of the voucher scheme too. They don't always get great reviews, but would give you access to a much bigger range of bikes.

Why limit yourself to £500 though? You can get up to £1,000. Think of the tax savings... Wink
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1909 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 12:41:49 »

Chris Froome wins the Criterium du Dauphine.

I only had chance to watch the last 20km of this years edition but to see Froome launch his attack on the yellow jersey on the last steep ramp of the last climb within the last 2km of the race was awesome. To win the race by 10 seconds- the time bonus he won by taking the stage was cutting it really fine.

I get the impression this years race is one that will be spoken of for some time.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1910 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 12:55:09 »

I get the impression this years race is one that will be spoken of for some time.

I agree.

Froome looks in good shape. Bert looked untouchable in the Giro. Quintana, on his day, can out-climb anybody and it'll be interesting to see what he can do with the team supporting him instead of Valverde. Nibali has had a quiet start to the season but is also going well.

It should be a great tour if all four can make it into week 3. Throw in a Frenchman to keep the locals happy (Peraud again?) and it should be a cracker.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1911 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 14:26:45 »

It should be a great tour if all four can make it into week 3. Throw in a Frenchman to keep the locals happy (Peraud again?) and it should be a cracker.

Thibau Pinau for the Gallic interest?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1912 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 14:45:30 »

I agree.

Froome looks in good shape. Bert looked untouchable in the Giro. Quintana, on his day, can out-climb anybody and it'll be interesting to see what he can do with the team supporting him instead of Valverde. Nibali has had a quiet start to the season but is also going well.

I doubt JF Peraud, has another in him.....the best French shot atm....looks to be AG2r's Romain Bardet, his win on Stage 5 of the Daupnine, was awesome, put a minute into everybody else on a crazy descent, that had me bricking it just watching, or Thibaut Pinot of FdJ....won white last year, so room to improve.

Not sure about Nibali....I don't think Astana, shoud have been licensed, and his lack of legs in the steep stages of the Dauphine makes you wonder.

Going to be interesting who gets the nod in Sky to support Froome, as they have a very strong squad with a number of riders making a case. I'd go something like Thomas, Porte, Stannard, Kiryenka, Konig, Kennaugh. Pouls and Bernie Eisel.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 15, 2015, 14:47:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1913 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 15:14:33 »

Going to be interesting who gets the nod in Sky to support Froome, as they have a very strong squad with a number of riders making a case. I'd go something like Thomas, Porte, Stannard, Kiryenka, Konig, Kennaugh. Pouls and Bernie Eisel.

I'd imagine they'd want to include Swift or Viviani for the sprint stages.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1914 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 15:25:34 »

I'd imagine they'd want to include Swift or Viviani for the sprint stages.

Entirely possible, in which case it'll be Viviani...he did win a stage in the Giro, so maybe is happy enough to freelance on other trains.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1915 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 15:28:47 »

Thibau Pinau for the Gallic interest?

Possibly Warren Barguil who disappears under the radar a little (and thus less pressure) as not on a French team?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1916 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 17:17:01 »

Last Monday I did a charity cycle ride from Bath to swindon via Stonehenge, approx 75 miles. I've kind of been bitten by the cycling bug and am looking to get a semi decent road bike. We have a cycle to work scheme, but their requirement is that I have buy from halfords. With this in mind, and with a budget of £500 (possibly more depending on bike) what recommendations do you bike buffs have and what sort of things should I be looking for?
I've got a lovely Triban 3 that's about to be on the market.
It's been well used, but if you're after a cheap (~£200 with goodies thrown in)  upgradeable and solid starter bike then PM me.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1917 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:14:09 »

For anyone that enjoys the muddy, gravity assisted, type of cycling:

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1918 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:27:06 »

Holy crap!
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1919 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:47:00 »

Did you see the one the other day when his back tyre came off??

edit : found it

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331659202478/aaron-gwin-on-fire-with-no-tyre
« Last Edit: Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:54:29 by Bewster » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: