Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: luke mccormick  (Read 121922 times)
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 11:33:17 »

Point taken.....but if you believe the club are doing this just for rehab reasons then they are taking a dodgy line in my view.
As  have stated in my opinion some crimes mean you pay the ultimate price with regards your future employment.
Maybe time inside could have been spent training for a future career.....he hasn't got one in pro football i dont think.....some people will see that as sad....some will see that as a price paid for doing something as devasting as he did.

I think we can all agree on the fact it is a very hard subject for an easy answer.

I agree with your last point.

I really don't see why you would have to change career because you have been to prison.
Does that apply to all careers, or just football?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 11:47:21 »

I agree with your last point.

I really don't see why you would have to change career because you have been to prison.
Does that apply to all careers, or just football?

Personally if had been done for drink driving killing two and maiming one i wouldn't want to stay in a trade where thousands each week were pointing at me and screaming abuse.
Not good for me....not good for my team mates.....not good for the club.
Many prisoners come back to there former careers....but the difference is they are representing themselfs and a company wher as this guy is representing a whole community....and that community pays his wages in tickets so they have a right to not want him(like me) or want him(like you)..it is a real toughy.

As i keep saying just my view.
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 11:55:36 »

And he has chosen not to change of career, which has to be his choice.

FWIW I suspect he will very shortly drift into non league or head abroad to try and stay in the game.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:26:03 »

What was wrong with Cheltenham, Bristol, Oxford, why Swindon. We should be all talking about how back to back promotions was going to pan out. Makes me detest this guy even more if that was possible. Whether he signs or not I don't give a damn. If it was a fitness thing just find a gym somewhere. If McComick wants to do something good then he should leave.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:36:14 »

If everyone shared that view McCormick and others would never be integrated back into society. We'd have more re-offenders with less being contributed to society.

I committed a drink driving offence nearly 5 years ago. It was stupid of me and I was punished. Although I didn't crash my car or cause harm to anyone I potentially could have done. Some people said I should have been banned from driving for life. Let me tell you that the ban I got was punishment enough and I also attended a driving & alcohol awareness course which was worth my attendance, though I really can't believe the DSA doesn't include a whole section of driving theory on alcohol. They do for speed and have even started adding in some basic safety checks into the practical test. Why not alcohol/perils of drink driving?

Due to being able to get on with my life and career, the tax, national insurance and student loan contributions made each month due to my earnings are 2.5 times that of 5 years ago. If I had not been lucky enough to live in our society this wouldn't be the case.

If you never looked to rehabilitate anyone and let the public decide the length of sentences then you'd probably still be locked up for pinching a packet of sweets from the shop when you were 8 years old. It's human nature to let emotions rule and somewhere one person will be more upset by an offence than another. These people often scream loudest.

I will say however, that I feel McCormick's sentence was lenient and I'm in no way stating that the things above are as bad as McCormick's offence. But that part is over with which is what Wray is trying to explain and that's not the club's issue.

Si, I don't always agree with every post you write, but that one there is a cracker. Well written with an excellent point. Fair play to you.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:39:36 »

What was wrong with Cheltenham, Bristol, Oxford, why Swindon.

The NIMBY arguement is very tiresome now
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:43:18 »

I'm trying to understand why he chose us. But for the record no I absolutely don't want this scumbag at our club or my back yard!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:56:21 »

Personally if had been done for drink driving killing two and maiming one i wouldn't want to stay in a trade where thousands each week were pointing at me and screaming abuse.
Not good for me....not good for my team mates.....not good for the club.
Many prisoners come back to there former careers....but the difference is they are representing themselfs and a company wher as this guy is representing a whole community....and that community pays his wages in tickets so they have a right to not want him(like me) or want him(like you)..it is a real toughy.

As i keep saying just my view.

That's exactly how I see it as well.  To Si & others highlighting the importance of rehabilitation...I don't think anyone is arguing against this.  But we are strongly of the view that a football club like ours is not the place for this to happen.  It's a more nuanced point.

McCormick needs to keep his head down, apply himself to something productive and work his way back towards a useful life from there.  Trying to do this with the cameras trained on him for 10 months a year is not going to help with this.
Flashheart

« Reply #623 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:09:49 »

McCormick needs to keep his head down, apply himself to something productive and work his way back towards a useful life from there. 

How do we know that isn't his intention?
Flashheart

« Reply #624 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:10:35 »

Trying to do this with the cameras trained on him for 10 months a year is not going to help with this.

Why would this happen?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:14:50 »

McCormick needs to keep his head down, apply himself to something productive and work his way back towards a useful life from there.  Trying to do this with the cameras trained on him for 10 months a year is not going to help with this.

Keep his head down how?

When he was on day release a year ago he worked in a charity shop. The Sun sent someone to take photo's and video him, then contacted the family for their comments for an article.

Whatever he does isn't as relevant as you think, the family said pretty much the same about him working in a charity shop as they have about him training with Swindon Town. If the media think there is a story they'll have a camera there no matter what he is doing.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:17:00 by jonny72 » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:19:19 »

Why would this happen?

The events of the last few days tell you everything you need to know about how his being at STFC has (and will) attract media attention.
Flashheart

« Reply #627 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:20:38 »

The events of the last few days tell you everything you need to know about how his being at STFC has (and will) attract media attention.

Do you think the cameras are going to be at the training ground for 10 months?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:21:19 »

If I'm honest, I'm not sure this is going to blow over as we hoped.

Think it already is. Google is listing only 6 news articles in the past 24 hours, compared to 1700 in the last 7 days.

Though it will blow up again when he is released, then tail off after a week.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:21:51 »

How do we know that isn't his intention?

You're right. We don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: