Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your finest sporting moment!  (Read 7176 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #30 on: Monday, January 14, 2008, 23:28:05 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
I also played in goal for Junior Robins a couple of times. We dicked Notts County 4-0 and I made a save where to this day I don't know how I managed it! I was wearing a goalie shirt with Evans on the back at the time and those who weren;t playing called me Rhys from then on. I think that's a good thing... :?

nah it means you got groomed by fatbury.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 00:10:03 »

believe it or not won shit loads as a kid, represented oxfordshire in football, rugby and badminton. north berkshire leauge in football. but my crowning glory was my debut for Bath RFC under 17's we shat on cardiff in that game. then i discovered ecstacy and that was that Cheesy
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 00:14:32 »

I have 2.

Being a black belt in Kodokan Karate (no lie)
And scoring the winner in our school football final against the massive favorites in the final, i remember it like yesterday
About 10 min left to go, its 1-1 i get subbed off the person who went on for me takes a knock with about 3 min to go so i go back on for him (rotation subs and all that) i pick up the ball, skim 3 players very luckily and curl it to the top corner from the edge of the are (everyone said it was a lucky toe punt)

I bet you all think im bullshitting about both but believe it or not, untill i was 15/16 and discovered i could get into pubs due to some bum fluff on my chin i was quite the athletic chap.
Barry Scott

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 00:49:44 »

I won the sack race three years on the trot at the interschool games thing held at the county gound. I also got a gold medal - of sorts - numerous times for being the quickest down a mountain in the ski school at various resorts.

Oh and when i was about 14 i came 4th out of about 30 people/mainly men in Bowls, at Southsea King Of Concrete BMX extravaganza wicked bandit fest.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 02:54:50 »

when i was 10 i won the swindon primary schools high jump and  the 50m hurdles.i came second in the sprint.
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:13:38 »

Playing right back for Melksham Town Youth in the county cup final  Cool
McLovin

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:21:10 »

Playing for Swindon u-15s hockey team and scoring in a tournament final.

And i come first most evenings.
flammableBen

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:23:07 »

I beat my mate nige 9-0 at table football once. We were both quite good but I hit some sort of mega-zone level of ability and it was ace.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:23:49 »

are you up early or late?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:25:32 »

When I played football for my school we beat Millfield School away- who are the best sports school in the country, 3-0. You should see the facilities they have.
Also playing Rugby and Cricket (& taking a hat-trick) for the school

Had a few other good ones like having trials with Bristol Rovers when I was much younger and turning up in my Swindon top Cool

I come from a land down-under
Lumps

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 11:15:56 »

To return to BR's original ironic intent for the thread, I can let you have the tale of my greatest sporting humiliation, which is less sporting and more mathmatical in the end............  I'll explain...

I'm about 12 at the old Richard Jefferies school (became part of the new college and then got demolished and had houses built on it). Our PE teacher has been trying to work out ways to get cricket into a two hour PE lesson and finally hits on what he thinks is a genius idea. We're all asked to pick a partner and he proposes that each pair will get to bat for two overs, with him and one kid that fancied himself as a spinner handling the bowling. We get to bat for the full two overs regardless of whether we lose a wicket and come the end of the session our runs are divided by the number of wickets we've lost, and whoever scores the highest wins. Simple eh?

People pick up partners and being the little kid in the class, I end up with the class nerd, the son of wannabe middle class Volvo driving parents. However, what the rest of the class don't know is that , despite his two left feet (and what I would guess now was quite severe developmental dyspraxia), this kid has been drilled in cricket by his minor public attending dad since the age of three, and as a result can at least play a decent forward defensive, and knows what balls to leave, which is better than the rest of the class.

Inevitably we end up going last. We walk to the crease, well I waddle to the crease as I'm wearing a pair of pads that cover virtually my entire legs with the knee roll coming about mid thigh. Every other pair in the class has lost at least one wicket, but there are clear leaders, who scored about 20 and lost only one.

Nerdy boy bats first, and as you might predict stonewalls 6 balls. The bowlers change ends and I face my first delivery. Somehow I block it. Second ball I leave altogether and it flashes by my head somewhere. The third I get my bat on and it drops right in front of me. By the fourth I can actually see the ball as it comes down the pitch (which helps) and it's a bit wide on the leg side and a nice height. Somehow I manage to hook it behind and it flies over the "boundary" and onto the playground for 4. Yeh! the next two balls I have no idea about. But I survived them both without having to do much, and most importantly without having to run, which I couldn't do in those stupid pads.

Eveyone claps and we all shuffle off the pitch and gather around Mr Gale, with me grinning like an idiot, as I knew that against the odds my and the class nerd had won his stupid competition.

Imagine how I feel when as I join the crowd still trying to rid myself of my pair of padded calipers, I hear the dozy  git announce the 20 runs and 1 wicket lost scoring pair as the winners.

What happened next was me delivering a stream of invective that earned me my first detention at senior school.  It wasn't too clever I suppose but lets face it I was only twelve, but I knew that 20 divided by 1 equals 20, whilst 4 divided by 0 equals infinity, which is a fuck sight bigger than 20, and Mr Gale was a fucking maths teacher who really should have known that.

We was robbed, and because of that innumerrate Welsh prat no-one would believe me.  :evil:

Not that I'm bitter or anything. I mean it's not like I've been holding a grudge for nearly 30 years or anything is it.
flammableBen

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 11:38:02 »

Quote from: "axs"
are you up early or late?

Early, I think I need to drink alcohol today.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 11:59:01 »

i'm all or nothing based on the pitch inspection.
Gazza's Fat Mate

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 12:04:58 »

swimming for under 18's england sqaud.

on a more funny note giving away 10 pentailes in 10 games on the spin
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 13:01:13 »

Minety FC player of the year 2001/02, being the youngest member of team, made me feel proud.

For some reason, I gave up playing to watch Swindon.  :?

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: