Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 138624 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 19:06:26 »

Adam, is with the Cardiff MCCU, so he must be decent, although the gap to proper 1st Class  is massive....Hildreth and Compton put on 450 against them last season.

Yep, he's played for the MCC combined side too. He's a good keeper but perhaps his batting isn't good enough to get him into the pro ranks...although he did get 50 against Somerset this season. It was disappointing to see a few foreign keepers getting kolpak contracts over the winter (Roderick at Gloucs, Johnson at Worcs) ahead of him and some of the younger english keepers. Although to be fair, keeper isn't a position where England are lacking depth at the moment with Prior, Foster, Read, Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter, Ambrose and Foakes around the scene.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 4, 2013, 19:09:01 by Nemo » Logged
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 08:12:06 »

Don't know if anyone saw the YB40 games over the last two nights ....

Jamie Overton looked a real prospect last night. Bowled quick up around the 90mph mark, generally full and possessed a terrific Yorker at only 19 looks to have a real chance of progressing to full honours in the not massively distant future.

Stuart Meaker I think has played before but again quick strong generally pitched up.

Both attacking wicket taking options during the middle over period.

Don't know if either of them bat really which seems to be a pre requisite as is the only way I can really explain Chris Woakes!
gingernuggets

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 08:37:35 »

I played with Adam and Craig Miles at Purton CC for quite a few years although Craig was probably only about 12 or 13 when I was last there. He was always quite tall and looked a good prospect bowling fairly decent pace but I never though a pro career was on the cards so fair play to him.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 19:55:24 »

Yep, he's played for the MCC combined side too. He's a good keeper but perhaps his batting isn't good enough to get him into the pro ranks...although he did get 50 against Somerset this season. It was disappointing to see a few foreign keepers getting kolpak contracts over the winter (Roderick at Gloucs, Johnson at Worcs) ahead of him and some of the younger english keepers. Although to be fair, keeper isn't a position where England are lacking depth at the moment with Prior, Foster, Read, Bairstow, Buttler, Kieswetter, Ambrose and Foakes around the scene.

Call me biased, but I was delighted to see Gareth Roderick get a deal. He's a good mate, having played all season with him at Cheltenham last year and beginning of this, and above all, a top class batsman (as SCC discovered last year). He has an English mum and passport, so will qualify for England. Long term he is an opening bat, not a no.7/keeper.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 21:17:32 »

You're biased and so am I, just in different directions Cheesy
DMR

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 21:58:55 »

Haha.

Churning out a few hundreds in Glos/Wilts isn't England material!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 22:15:56 »

Not staying it is. I said he qualified. In any case, I would think a selector would take more notice of the fact he's knocked 70+ twice in his first few first class games.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 22:20:13 »

Another couple of openers bagged by Miles today.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2013, 22:30:44 »

Good result from England today as well, saw our innings and Jos Buttler made the difference! Obviously having a few wickets helped, but pressure was on after a slow start...then to lose Root and Bell just before the final powerplay led me to believe we'd struggle to make 240 let along get 287 comfortably! Morgan, Bell and Buttler looked useful, Root and Trott getting starts too. Haven't seen the wickets, got that on record so I can watch tomorrow!

Start of the Champions Trophy tomorrow, NZ have to be dark horses going in to it having spent the past month or so getting used to English conditions! Disappointing ODI series defeat for England though, first since Australia 09 on home soil!

#VivaKenBarlow!
DMR

« Reply #84 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 09:20:02 »

Not staying it is. I said he qualified. In any case, I would think a selector would take more notice of the fact he's knocked 70+ twice in his first few first class games.

I shall repeat myself.

70-odd in a county game is not England material Smiley
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 09:32:53 »

Ha....at risk of getting boring, I'll repeat myself too. I didn't say runs at league level or a few decent scores at first class level qualify you. My point is, he isn't an overseas player keeping out an Englishman, which was the original point about English wicketkeepers.

Glos have a number of really promising kids at the moment. Miles has been superb, as has Dent and Liam Norwell will become a really solid player for them too.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 09:36:31 »

Champions Trophy starts today and its wide open, Pakistan look decent but a few question marks about their batting, WI have lots of game winners but not much reliability and SA have lost a lot to injury. India should do well but their pace bowling is dubious outside of Yadav.

Should be interesting!
DMR

« Reply #87 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 09:38:50 »

Beware the wounded Aussies, even without Clarke. Especially if it seams about.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 20:45:11 »

Big result for India today, beating the SA'ffers at Cardiff...another road of a track in the glorious weather spell we're having! 331-7 plays 305 ao, India must be favourites having chased 300+ against Sri Lanka, Scored 300+ and bowling Aus out for 60odd in the warm ups and now beating South Africa, again racking up 300!

In county news, Compton scored 136* for Somerset at Taunton today!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, June 6, 2013, 21:00:53 »

Not a time for Johnny Bairstow to be carrying drinks for England during the Champions Trophy whilst  Compton gets into gear.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: