Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Ignorance is not bliss  (Read 13144 times)
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 15:47:58 »

True Batch,i dont count Twitter...lots of idiots on there(including me)....a proper footy forum is the place to judge what the feelings are towards the new regime....and i think the TEF is a fair place in general.
Sometimes things take time,i mean the Newcastle owner was slaughtered for years....gets a pretty softer ride these days.

Randomly, the Newcastle owner crossed my mind today when a friend mentioned about Bates leaving Leeds and the "Red Bull Elland Road Stadium" thing.  I think the treatment of him is a pretty good example of the thankless task of being owner of a football club, now being experienced by Jed.  In particular, the grief he got for having the audacity of trying to introduce a new revenue stream (yes, I realise he owned Sports Direct but I gather the intention was to let it go to another company wants an interested party came forward).  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 17:31:35 »

I'm quite happy to be one of those who don't trust the new board one bit. I'm quite happy to get a fair amount of stick for holding that view. They might well win me around but I've seen nothing from them so far to change that opinion....and yes it is opinion. I have no hard facts, just an opinion based on my life experiences.
There are a number of things I'm not happy about and I'm sure the fact I have concerns won't stop Jed / Lee sleeping at night or carrying on with running the club.
I'll be there again this season and I'll get behind the team.
Time will tell whether I'm right or wrong and like most of the naysayers, I hope I'm wrong and on this board apologising for being a tool. I would get no satisfaction from being right.

Pretty much exactly where I am.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 18:59:31 »

I dont trust or rate them and time will tell...

I predict a bottom 6 finish

I will eat humble pie willingly if we become a side with promotion aspirations. Like Flash heart I will admit to being a dick..

We are pot less and at the moment rudderless with no manager and the season starts next week

Clems Army!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:00:21 »

SO....keep on telling me it's all going to be ok......

Clems Army!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:14:59 »

Not been a fan of the board from day one - IMHO they took a punt on the club expecting promotion and by using Ward/Miller they showed how cheap they were going to be.
The turnover in directors has shown they have little finance, the appointment of Power at last gives someone with some football knowledge from the pitch up to boardroom level.
I thought the Kmac experiment was doomed from the off but was prepared to give him the benefit of starting a season with his own team - and we all know how that turned out.
Less than a week till the season kicks off and we are managerless, according to reports from Portugal the team are bonding well - well what about all the players left behind ? I cant see any of them moving before season kicks off so they are going to be hanging around feeling on the outside.
I hope they get to go out on loan for everyones sake.

Am prepared to give the board some time but patience is wearing thin tbh.
A bit of communication/transparency wouldnt go amiss.

I for one am deffo not looking forward to this season as it stands, although I am prepared to be proved wrong
Lower half of the table for me unless the spurs boys come good
Harley signing has given me a lil more optimism and maybe another decent signing might help raise the gloom

I think the managers appointment will show how prepared this board are to take the club forward rather than tread water
nochee

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:18:42 »

I'm past caring
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:19:48 »

Sometimes things take time,i mean the Newcastle owner was slaughtered for years....gets a pretty softer ride these days.

Because results are going okay. I guarantee that if and when Newcastle struggle next season the knives will be back out for Ashley. The hatred for that bloke is never far from the surface, they're putting up with him presently. Like I say I have a feeling that will all change next season. Could be wrong, time will tell.
STFCFORLIFE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:29:44 »

If the board want us to take them seriously and give them a break then they should appoint Tisdale and sign 3/4 more players including some decent experienced ones to prove they are serious about going for promotion this season.

No disrespect but I wouldn't be happy with Cooper/Ferdinand/Any has been manager getting the job.

Tisdale for me, failing that maybe Hartley? I don't want someone from Spurs or some has been looking to make a quick buck, plus Tisdale is a very loyal manager, the 2nd longest serving manager in football behind Wenger.

Their appointment and what other players we sign between now and the end of August will show everything.

If things go bad they can expect to lose a hell of a lot of season ticket holders next season because I know people who renewed for this season who wouldn't have knowing what a shambles it has been the last few weeks and the sudden disappearance of KMac, selling and releasing our best players i.e Collins/Ferry/Flint etc.

Where's the money going? We sold Flint for a good amount and Collins and have released a lot of players from the wage bill plus all the season ticket money and we haven't spent a penny on players, just being loaned a whole team from Spurs instead!!! Says it all really!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:39:22 »

STFCFORLIFE - the problem is the wages were still 500K over where they need to be. We have shifted Collins and brought in matey from Brighton (presumably cheaper) but they are still going to be running high. I don't think we'll see the signings we want to see until the other outcasts are shifted - which may be January/next season Sad

But I share your thoughts on manager/not sure about the approach we have taken to backfill the positions of the departed. As I've said before, filling in with Spurs kiddies is fine provided we have autonomy. We may not see much change to the squad yet for the reasons above, but long term the new man needs to be his own man and free to build his own squad and pick his own players.

Obviously this is a personal opinion.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:40:41 »

Where's the money going? We sold Flint for a good amount and Collins and have released a lot of players from the wage bill plus all the season ticket money and we haven't spent a penny on players, just being loaned a whole team from Spurs instead!!! Says it all really!
I thought we paid £100k for Byrne, which was a bit bizarre.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:43:15 »

IMHO they took a punt on the club expecting promotion and by using Ward/Miller they showed how cheap they were going to be.

I'm not a fan of the current board by any stretch of the imagination, but that's an eminently absurd criticism to level at them given the circumstances of the time and the fact they only persisted with them for a couple of games before appointing a permanent manager.
STFCFORLIFE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:45:23 »

My bad, forgot about that one.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:45:46 »

Esp as he was out of contract
Either Spurs offered him something just to get some cash or its a roundabout way of paying for all the spurs buys/loans

Does seem odd as we supposed to be keeping it tight

Personally if he as a good season I think we will get that back and then some if he moves on
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 19:59:57 »

I'm not a fan of the current board by any stretch of the imagination, but that's an eminently absurd criticism to level at them given the circumstances of the time and the fact they only persisted with them for a couple of games before appointing a permanent manager.

Not as I see it
Those two game ( a loss to the bottom team in the league and a draw with Preston ) both at home set the tone for the rest of the season.
I know its not a quick job appointing a manager but using those two was a hasty/cheap option

Admittedly they are not rushing into this next appointment but a little more haste might be prudent in light of the date

If its Cooper then just drives home my point more
Cheapest option
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 20:03:14 »

Ward/Miller was a necessity, you can't appoint someone overnight. At the time it seemed very odd that Bodin didn't get the nod. But now we know how and why his time at STFC came to an end it wasn't as strange as it seemed.

Not a big fan of things as they stand, but I can't see much choice on that one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: