Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Ignorance is not bliss  (Read 13145 times)
News Monkey

« on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 06:00:05 »

THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Ignorance is not bliss

THERE’S a line that has to be drawn between balanced criticism and downright ignorance.

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/10575615.THE_SAM_MORSHEAD_COLUMN__Ignorance_is_not_bliss/?ref=rss

BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 08:47:59 »

I am increasingly of the opinion that plenty of money and good communication did not equate to good business sense under the last regime, so am hoping, by that logic, little money and poor communication will equate to good business sense under the new one.

In the Bizarro universe of Swindon Town that might well turn out to be the case.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 08:49:44 by BruceChatwin » Logged
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 08:49:01 »

I am increasingly of the opinion that plenty of money and good communication did not equate to good business sense under the last regime, so am hoping, by that logic, little money and poor communication will equate to good business sense under the new one.

Makes perfect sense - we are in good hands.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 11:08:53 »

Just read that piece by Sam in today's paper, one of the best pieces of journalism that Sam has written in my opinion.  Unfortunately, those people out there (and on here!) who have already made their minds up will not be swayed an inch!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 11:42:45 »

I don't agree with his column in its entirety, I'm not apologising for that if your comment was aimed at me (I posted on thisis today).

Its a two way street, the board need time and trust, but at the same time I feel they need to explain a few key things that have gone on since the business plan meetings. Silence breeds rumour and doesn't promote trust.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:10:56 »

I've been a loyal Swindon supporter since 1985.. I guess somebody as young as Sam doesn't quite appreciate what we've had to endure as STFC fans over the years. We can hardly be blamed for getting a little excited when a board with money took over the club. The term "spoilt" is unfair to say the least.

I haven't been Jed's biggest fan. But I think he's slowly winning people over. The Harley signing didn't do him any harm. To say people won't change their minds is absurd. Jed just needs to deliver... And there where Sam's article is more accurate, communication with the fans is the first step.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:17:12 »

Great piece by Sam, and I agree with it on the most part.  I have not been convinced by the new board, but have not been vocal about it on purpose.  I have given them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they will grow into becoming a better run group, everyone has got to learn.

No doubt their communication has been very poor, and the lack of responses about day to day issues that have been coming up has not been good, breeding speculation and (in some cases) poisonous rumours, which hopefully they will learn to nip in the bud before they get out of hand.

Of the recent issues, like the concerts, I feel sorry for them.  I don't think the problems are all of their making, but lack of response to the numerous stories about them has bred the rumour factory again and given the doubters plenty of ammunition to lay into the the only targets that are accessable to them.

I do think that a lot of their issues could be resolved by communicating the right things, and learning to stay quiet about the things that the fanbase shouldn't know about.  It's a thin line and hopefully one that the new board will learn.

Unfortunately they will be judged on the new manager and the team over the coming season, so they might get slated no matter what they do.  One thing they should take from the previous board though, if nothing else, is what and how to communicate better.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:29:16 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:44:37 »

I'm quite happy to be one of those who don't trust the new board one bit. I'm quite happy to get a fair amount of stick for holding that view. They might well win me around but I've seen nothing from them so far to change that opinion....and yes it is opinion. I have no hard facts, just an opinion based on my life experiences.
There are a number of things I'm not happy about and I'm sure the fact I have concerns won't stop Jed / Lee sleeping at night or carrying on with running the club.
I'll be there again this season and I'll get behind the team.
Time will tell whether I'm right or wrong and like most of the naysayers, I hope I'm wrong and on this board apologising for being a tool. I would get no satisfaction from being right.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:48:51 »

Ours is a community club with a proud tradition, which quite rightly needs to be protected. But some leeway needs to be given to allow this board to prove that they are suitable to do just that.

I think they've had a decent amount of leeway....no pitch protests, no "orange" protests...and as far as I can tell, no real criticism of the *austerity package.  Just an understandable and healthy desire to discover things like who the Board consists, what happened to the mystery investors...and why we've lost a manager in the crucial pre-season period.

* by this I mean the overview, that costs had to come down....the nuts and bolts of how the policy is done has received some criticism ie the Spurs link.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 13:12:29 »

I don't agree with his column in its entirety, I'm not apologising for that if your comment was aimed at me (I posted on thisis today).

Its a two way street, the board need time and trust, but at the same time I feel they need to explain a few key things that have gone on since the business plan meetings. Silence breeds rumour and doesn't promote trust.
Not aimed at anybody in particular Batch, and definitely not you in person!!  It just seems to me that some people will not accept that the days of Black and the Italian twat are over - probably never to return - and we have to accept that with the exception of an unknown - now deceased - buyer the only people prepared to take us on were this present lot, and we have to get on with it whether we like it or not!!  The alternative to them didn't exist, so why do people still slate them?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 13:33:16 »

I think most people understand the financials although Jed didn't help himself by saying budgets would remain the same and then after season ticket sales had maxed, saying budgets would be drastically reduced. Before this we had the "NDA". Then we had his monosyllabic answers to the questions put by the Trust / Supporters Club whilst waxing lyrical on Twitter - even offering a contract to a fake Caddis.
Enter Lee Power who looks as though he entered the game well before anything went public and the Spurs link. Whilst it looks like Murell did a good job with the business presentations there was also the storming of the adver offices and the pissed up episode home v Bury - although was this Hooper?
We've heard jack shit from Power on the area that really matters to most supporters - what is going on on the pitch. The Spurs link irritates the fuck out of me but might not if I had it explained to me, although it was good to hear that Shah apparently has a say in who comes in and who goes. Why did KMac leave - the statement from the club had bullshit write all over it
We get the excuses that they are all new to this - Power isn't as he has been in football most of his life and in director roles previously.
The Adver excluded from Portugal was an own goal as is putting Sam under an embargo while letting BBC break news.
If it looks like a rat and it acts like a rat then its probably a rat.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 13:57:49 »

Not aimed at anybody in particular Batch, and definitely not you in person!!  It just seems to me that some people will not accept that the days of Black and the Italian twat are over - probably never to return - and we have to accept that with the exception of an unknown - now deceased - buyer the only people prepared to take us on were this present lot, and we have to get on with it whether we like it or not!!  The alternative to them didn't exist, so why do people still slate them?

Oh OK, FWIW I really don't mind people rubbishing my views as I've been wrong more than right on football, just as long as they do it directly. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but here/FB/Twitter posts that start "some people need to" and "our fans are mongs" seem completely pointless. Name them and why or shut up!

Agree with what you say though, except to say just because they are currently the only show in town doesn't mean they should be immune to (constructive) criticism. And yes not all criticism has been constructive recently.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 14:16:53 »

Sams a good writer in my opinion.

I don't always agree with what he writes but i give him this, he works hard and best of all he takes any stick he gets on the chin.

Abuse is a very strong word,i think the new board have had to put up with fans venting there feelings in strong words for sure....but abuse...nope, not for me.

« Last Edit: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 14:18:25 by leefer » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 14:29:24 »

Abuse is a very strong word,i think the new board have had to put up with fans venting there feelings in strong words for sure....but abuse...nope, not for me.

To be fair there has been quite a bit of what I'd call abuse aimed directly at Jed via twitter. And a reasonable amount of ass kissing and everything inbetween!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 15:00:13 »

True Batch,i dont count Twitter...lots of idiots on there(including me)....a proper footy forum is the place to judge what the feelings are towards the new regime....and i think the TEF is a fair place in general.
Sometimes things take time,i mean the Newcastle owner was slaughtered for years....gets a pretty softer ride these days.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: