Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Swindon: Chairman says there is no money for 'big signings'  (Read 9170 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 17:24:40 »

Have a word with yourselves.

you can tell me won our last game cant you!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 17:57:38 »

Could be a blessing in disguise for us if Austin is sold. We might net a small fortune from that.

I'm not overly worried about this. We have a decent squad as it is and we're already well up there so why do we need to make any big signings? As long as we can keep Ward and 1 or 2 of the other loanees i'll be happy.

My only concern RE the owners is that the CG re-development is dead in the water. If they can't invest in the squad how can they afford to invest in a new stadium? This clearly highlights where the need for new investment is. On the off chance of it happening and someone actually taking over where does that leave any current stadium plans?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 18:01:19 »

I hope we don't sign any players in January, I really don't think we need any. You can have too many players and the current squad is easily, easily good enough to finish top two.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 18:01:46 »

Oh yes....sorry I forgot......

FACT! Cool
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 18:09:42 »

Could be a blessing in disguise for us if Austin is sold. We might net a small fortune from that.

Not as much as people may think though. NW said so.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 18:30:21 »

Not as much as people may think though. NW said so.

Yeah I don't think it'll be a huge amount but any money we can get is decent.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 18:58:33 »

There seems to be a growing dislike of SWP in some quarters (mainly thisis) just because he won't pander to PDC.

JW got the boot because he couldn't standup to PDC so SWP is hardly going to do the same.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:33:13 »

This is surely a bit of non-news.
I don't think anyone ever suggested that we were going to splash out lots of cash in the transfer window and wasn't it said that we lifted the um-bongo by putting in any money that might have otherwise been earmarked for that purpose.
The Board are supporting what must be one of the strongest and costly squads in the division and results are coming good - why the crazy panic?
SWP is the messenger from the owner who is not going to put in endless cash - he never said he would!  I think he communicates clearly and honestly.
As Abrahammer suggested, I think JWs failure to stand up to PdC has given false expectations in some circles.
I even think that Paolo is getting the message, though this won't stop him from asking!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:33:49 »

How many days after an interview conducted by another media outlet, and broadcast live at the time, can a newspaper continue to use it as "news"?

Basically, we have spent/are spending our wage budget and the guys in charge have dipped as far as they feel comfrtable into their own pockets to add in sufficient equity to allow that.  Having now put around £10-£15m into the club over the past 4 or so years (clearing existing loans to external parties, paying the CVA and ensuring a push for back to back promotions) I don't doubt that they want to start seeking others to support it beyond that.

edit:ooops, I've fallen into the trap of believing every story put out days later comes from the adver, seems even the BBC are at it now, with their own interviews.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:40:25 by RobertT » Logged
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 19:39:45 »

We are the Swindon we spend when we want.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 20:32:21 »

So, because Patey isn't as matey (see what I did there? ) with PdC and comes out in an interview stating what most of us already knew (we'd spent the money allocated for this transfer window already, to get out of the embargo), it's doom & gloom? As for stating his dream scenario (Championship football and further investment) what's not to like?
Wray was a nice bloke, but a sustainable club can't be run by someone who wants to give everything to the manager all the time. Sometimes even di Canio has to be told no.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 20:34:08 by herthab » Logged

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 20:54:07 »

Not got a problem with curtailing spending myself. I hope we'd keep the likes of Ward and shed some surpless to compensate.

It was the comments about money being "extremely tight", that we needed a good Christmas financially, and about the dream being new owners and new investment that set the spider sense tingling. Impossible to know what that means, if anything, for sure. Could be a simple warning that the reckless spending is over, could be more serious. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 21:00:01 »

I've criticised Patey's apparent lack of diplomacy myself.

But I doubt very, very much he would come out and say, not in so many words: "Guess what, it's all gone to shit"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 21:11:22 »

As a former professional diplomat in one of the most high profile territories I'd imagine he chooses his words very carefully and deliberately.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 21:26:53 »

This is getting ridiculous!

All Patey was saying was in a dream scenario we would have a different set of owners who had millions and millions to pump into the club. However, in the real world, we have owners who have already invested all that they can for the time being and need the club to be run on a firm footing and as self sustaining as possible. He then went on to say that there was no chance of a nightmare scenario where we would be plunged into administration again. (The bit where he said 'the club has been there before' referred to relegation to L2 and NOT poor fiscal management and financial difficulties)

All the rest of the shit that is being posted is a Tans-esque (no offence Tans) wind up!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: