Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ossie's Red and White Army?  (Read 3895 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 20:24:44 »

Quote from: "herthab"
Ossie was great for us but his managerial career since hasn't exactly been successful.

I'd rather remember the eras of Ardiles and Hoddle, instead of trying to recreate them. It seldom works out the same.

(Why have I just wasted a minute commenting on something that will never happen anyway?)

stupid double post!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 13:38:37 »

those that were too young and didn't see the play off winning side of ossies,were robbed of the best football i've seen here.
but the standard of player was higher and he was able to sign players back then.heart says yes.head says no
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 17:25:21 »

Having Ardiles in charge would be useless. He doesn't know the English leagues like he used to.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 17:43:39 »

Ossie's team was essentially inherited from Macari.....Macari had an eye for a player Ossie didn't....he signed Shaun Close, which should rule him out of any future job.

Macari got in good players, but didn't trust them to play.....Ossie encouraged it and the players were good enough to respond.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 17:47:01 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Ossie's team was essentially inherited from Macari.....Macari had an eye for a player Ossie didn't....he signed Shaun Close, which should rule him out of any future job.

Macari got in good players, but didn't trust them to play.....Ossie encouraged it and the players were good enough to respond.

So we need a Macari/Hoddle dream team?

It's All Good..............
Dazzza

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 17:52:07 »

Would you say the players he inherited and the legacy from Macari were the difference between the successful Town side and the kamikaze stuff he played at Spurs?

It was magnificent stuff but completely suicidal at Spurs.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 18:04:41 »

Quote from: "Dazzza"

Would you say the players he inherited and the legacy from Macari were the difference between the successful Town side and the kamikaze stuff he played at Spurs?

It was magnificent stuff but completely suicidal at Spurs.

I think Ossie had a radical vision of how football should be played, also he felt Spurs fans, would because of their tradition in having tasty individual players,  and being a cup team., share in his vision.

Didn't quite work out that way.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 19:26:13 »

The football under Ozzie was great but he lost the dressing room the year after we were denied promotion and I know he was on the verge of the sack after the players openly drinking on the coach GOING to a game at Bristol Rovers, which we lost coincidentaly.

But to be fair I would love a whole defence made up of Nestor Lorenzos! comedy/animal magic!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 19:39:30 »

Getting pissed on the way to play the wurzels  :shock:
Peter Venkman

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 20:03:43 »

Bear in mind those were the days of the great Stigger Foley too, who often turned up to games in a little more than pissed state, but I forgive him he was a cracking player, that season Stigger was dropped for a game when he turned up and couldnt hardly walk and had to be heled to his car by a steward...only for the steward to realise he was actually going to drive home!....a cab was called for him in the end!

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 20:07:35 »

Steve, Steve, STEVE FOLEY!!

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 20:07:51 »

Steve, Steve, STEVE FOLEY!!

Peter Venkman

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2007, 20:13:47 »

The goal stigger got away at Blackburn in the playoffs the year we won at Wembley first time will always live with me, bloody class, he was such a class act in midfield, I would love more like him now.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, December 13, 2007, 14:45:02 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
The goal stigger got away at Blackburn in the playoffs the year we won at Wembley first time will always live with me, bloody class, he was such a class act in midfield, I would love more like him now.

Yes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: