Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 ... 848   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1227402 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4530 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 20:06:25 »

Like, I don’t get the design industry but for the most part it’s white text on a red background.
The background having the same pattern as our shirt.

Can you really ‘own’ white text on a red background?

Why would that even need to be outsourced to a designer in the first place. Could have got flammableBen to do it on paint…
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #4531 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 20:11:13 »

Exactly that- there are only so many ways  you can do a team sheet. If you want paying why produce a ‘sample’ without any agreement first.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #4532 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 20:28:06 »

The club one is miles better

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4533 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 22:39:06 »

It doesn't really matter, still principle. Very scumbag behaviour from the club. You just don't commercially use someone's work without paying them for it. Simple

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4534 on: Saturday, August 5, 2023, 23:21:09 »

It doesn't really matter, still principle. Very scumbag behaviour from the club. You just don't commercially use someone's work without paying them for it. Simple

Maybe take a look at your avatar Mr Pot Smiley
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #4535 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 02:41:12 »

Like, I don’t get the design industry but for the most part it’s white text on a red background.
The background having the same pattern as our shirt.

Can you really ‘own’ white text on a red background?

Why would that even need to be outsourced to a designer in the first place. Could have got flammableBen to do it on paint…

I agree. There aren’t enough similarities for it to be called a rip off in my book. A red background and a player on the right hand side does not a plagiarism make.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #4536 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 06:27:15 »

I agree. There aren’t enough similarities for it to be called a rip off in my book. A red background and a player on the right hand side does not a plagiarism make.

There are five aspects to the design for something this simple:

Layout
Colour scheme
Font
Background
Wording / graphical content

Of these three are the same between the two designs and one is pretty similar. But:

Colour scheme is a given and probably predefined by the club to fit the corporate / club brand
Wording isn't identical but is unavoidably similar, graphical content is provided by the club, as it's primarily the new official team photos, or again is a given, club logos
Layout is unavoidably the same given the above. The vertical nature of a team sheet means two columns of content is the only practical layout. Most squad photos are facing left as you look at them. They'd have to be placed right or look stupid. Headings above that, subs below can't really be avoided.
Which leaves background, which is somebody else's design, and may have been something else the club mandated. Or it's the designers only significant design choice that has actually been used in the finished version.

Most of this rests on what brief and content was provided by the club to the designer. But unless this was thrown together in a couple of hours in the last 48, I'm assuming they provided some pack of stuff for it,  as the photos and squad numbers weren't public until recently.

If the club provided the photo pack, logo, pantone colours or RGB numbers to be used, and the background design then I'm not sure of the creative contribution of the graphic designer in this case.

..never go back.
wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #4537 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 08:05:37 »

Other clubs using the exact same design/layout as Swindon ie Lincoln

So who copied who?

wokinghamred

Ignore
« Reply #4538 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 08:06:33 »

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1687810689274961920/photo/1
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4539 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 08:10:18 »

Yeah, it's not exactly a complex subject is it? A list of players, a picture of a player, the colour needs to be red etc... as alluded to by lumpimonkey previously... There's not a lot you can do with that to make it look any different from any other team sheet...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4540 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 09:23:37 »

it's not just the similarity is it. *assuming the designer is being truthful*

- club approached him
- club liked the work
- club said they were trying to get funding for it
- club wang out their own and add in "starting 11", remove "Vs" and change "subs" to "substitutes"

I agree most team sheets are a player pictures and  a list of players names and there is going to be be some overlap.

still feels to me like when you copy homework and change it a bit in the hope the teacher didn't notice.

if we have the in house talent, why bother approaching a designer at all.

I'll leave it there, I've had my say now
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #4541 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 09:35:35 »

As you say if the designer is being honest, but also did he steal the design from the guy that did Lincoln’s?.

Based on what the club did with Dan (the guy that produces the artwork that was sold in the shop) it would seem at odds that they would just rip him off.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4542 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 09:41:37 »

it's not just the similarity is it. *assuming the designer is being truthful*

- club approached him
- club liked the work
- club said they were trying to get funding for it
- club wang out their own and add in "starting 11", remove "Vs" and change "subs" to "substitutes"

I agree most team sheets are a player pictures and  a list of players names and there is going to be be some overlap.

still feels to me like when you copy homework and change it a bit in the hope the teacher didn't notice.

if we have the in house talent, why bother approaching a designer at all.

I'll leave it there, I've had my say now
That's my thought as well...
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #4543 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 09:46:10 »

It’s a very good question, but sadly I expect the answer is ‘so the in-house staff can concentrate their efforts on other work whilst the above task is done for free by someone looking for experience’.

The tweet appears to have been deleted now, but one of the media guys (who is also the photographer) asked a few weeks ago for any graphic designers etc but made no mention of pay and ignored anyone asking about it in response. So I expect this is how this has come about - not the best look either way.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #4544 on: Sunday, August 6, 2023, 14:28:50 »

On Twitter the graphic for the Arsenal team has just popped up. It’s the same design.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 ... 848   Go Up
Print
Jump to: