Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 ... 848   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1227630 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3915 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 08:42:20 »

Ah here we go, good to see the standard preseason conclusion jumping with little evidence period is kicking into gear..  long overdue and surprised it has taken this long..

2022-23 - The season of 'why the fuck have we got a DoF'.
2023-24 -  The season of 'why the fuck have we not got a DoF'.

I fear we will become a team who float between L1 and L2 regularly if we do not find extra investors.

'Become', we have been that team for all of this century. Yeah history, potential and attendances and all that but the fact remains that in the 21st century Swindon Town are, at best, a team which bounces between the bottom two tiers of the pyramid.

Other teams have overtaken us and be it investment or other matters we have become rather left behind, certain teams have shown it can be done without  huge wads of cash, but we haven't managed that either.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 19, 2023, 08:48:10 by horlock07 » Logged
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #3916 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 08:50:42 »

I don’t think anyone would have minded a DoF last season. Ben Chorley for example.

It was the fact that we had a seemingly megalomaniacal “Technical Director” who was, at best, equipped to hand out smoked salmon blinis in Lee Power’s box at Newbury races that was the issue.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #3917 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:20:09 »

We could argue we have far more potential in terms of history and fanbase than FGR, Salford , Gills, Colchester.

Money isn't everything but it does help, and if we don't go up this season i can see Clem under far more pressure regarding bringing in other outside investment (which i expect is the plan for the redevelopment so it should also be re the product on the pitch)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #3918 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:25:02 »

I don’t think anyone would have minded a DoF last season. Ben Chorley for example.

It was the fact that we had a seemingly megalomaniacal “Technical Director” who was, at best, equipped to hand out smoked salmon blinis in Lee Power’s box at Newbury races that was the issue.

As always its more about the people and their talent than the structure in place. The best thing Clem/Rob can do is be the best recruiter of talent in all roles. Clem knowing Chorley was a relic of Chorleys involvement under the Power days, and fair play Clem could see he knew his shit. It was a wise appointment, and he then got Garner (who did very well under the conditions) and recruited a strong team. The problem in my eyes has been post Chorley. I'm not sure we have got many decisions right at any level within the club.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #3919 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:30:12 »

Agreed. I know he is a good bloke, Swindon through and through etc, but there are plenty of questions about Aberdeen’s suitability for the role he finds himself in.

I’m not looking to be a miserable shit. I’ve bought my season ticket as ever and will be behind whatever team we put out on the pitch. I’m just trying to put my finger on why my pre-season expectations have never been lower in 25+ years.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #3920 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:36:39 »

What we massively lacked last season was a competent manager.
Still think that was more of an issue than Sandro.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #3921 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:41:07 »

What we massively lacked last season was a competent manager.
Still think that was more of an issue than Sandro.

Perhaps, but Sandro recruited the managers, so Sandro was therefore the issue. The logic follows that whoever appointed Sandro was to blame, which is why i'm concerned about the current leaderships ability to judge people honestly.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3922 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 09:56:51 »

We could argue we have far more potential in terms of history and fanbase than FGR, Salford , Gills, Colchester.

Money isn't everything but it does help, and if we don't go up this season i can see Clem under far more pressure regarding bringing in other outside investment (which i expect is the plan for the redevelopment so it should also be re the product on the pitch)

Not sure what potential 'history' brings, yes we were in the PL but that was 30 years ago and its over 20 years since we were in the Championship.

As for the second point we can whinge and whine about Clem, Rob Angus as much as we like, its hardly like there is a orderly queue of people wanting to buy the club  or invest so unless we can cobble together a few mills ourselves not sure what its going to achieve. Yes it could be better, but saying it over and over again on an internet forum doesn't achieve a great deal in the big scheme of things.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #3923 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:04:02 »

Not sure what potential 'history' brings, yes we were in the PL but that was 30 years ago and its over 20 years since we were in the Championship.

As for the second point we can whinge and whine about Clem, Rob Angus as much as we like, its hardly like there is a orderly queue of people wanting to buy the club  or invest so unless we can cobble together a few mills ourselves not sure what its going to achieve. Yes it could be better, but saying it over and over again on an internet forum doesn't achieve a great deal in the big scheme of things.

There are people looking to invest in clubs like ours, particularly since Wrexham blew up. Some will be good, some will be bad, but there are people out there.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3924 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:09:22 »

There are people looking to invest in clubs like ours, particularly since Wrexham blew up. Some will be good, some will be bad, but there are people out there.

If its the case that Clem is refusing investment from people and or turning down offers to take over the club then these are questions that have to be asked at the AB at the very least then.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #3925 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:12:25 »

If its the case that Clem is refusing investment from people and or turning down offers to take over the club then these are questions that have to be asked at the AB at the very least then.

I have no idea if anyone has registered specific interest in us. I'm just saying that there are people investing in clubs outside the Premier League all of the time. Our fanbase seems to have ugly step-child syndrome. "No one would even look at us." Not sure why.
DMC

« Reply #3926 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:44:40 »

Ha these things crack me up.So you are saying a genuine question should be that because Mooneyraker on the forum thinks theres lots of people interested in buying clubs like us because it worked for wrexham our owner is now refusing investment and that should be asked in a meeting
« Last Edit: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:51:47 by DMC » Logged
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #3927 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:45:25 »

Ha these things crack me up.So you are saying a genuine question should be that because Mooneyraker on the forum thinks theres lots of people interested in buying us because it worked for wrexham our owner is now refusing investment and that should be asked in a meeting

Just to reiterate, that's not what I said!
DMC

« Reply #3928 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:51:09 »

I have no idea if anyone has registered specific interest in us. I'm just saying that there are people investing in clubs outside the Premier League all of the time. Our fanbase seems to have ugly step-child syndrome. "No one would even look at us." Not sure why.
It's because we have been run into the ground linked with criminals and doing dodgy shit left right and centre. We are the ugly step child. Other clubs were refusing to work with us due to Power fucking them over, we have so many companies in swindon refusing to work with the club because they were never paid before

I recently had to try sort some travel for them and the private car company refused to take the business as the club had history for not paying drivers, they can't even get credit in their name for a hotel stay

If we have an owner now who is determained to change that and leave us in a position that people are interested in taking over i will take it.

The downside to it though is they need to communicate that properly and day to day be run so much better than they are now  because at times its just not good enough and i think adding the staff in the roles needed day to day will enhance things  
DMC

« Reply #3929 on: Monday, June 19, 2023, 10:51:59 »

Just to reiterate, that's not what I said!
Amended buddy
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 ... 848   Go Up
Print
Jump to: