Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Monday, April 29, 2024, 19:24:13)
Murphy Mahoney - 3 (2.3%)
Tom Brewitt - 0 (0%)
Udoka Godwin-Malife - 21 (16.4%)
Conor McCarthy - 1 (0.8%)
Saidou Khan - 1 (0.8%)
Dan Kemp - 65 (50.8%)
Paul Glatzel - 10 (7.8%)
Jake Young - 21 (16.4%)
Charlie Austin - 0 (0%)
None of the Above - 6 (4.7%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TEF Player of the Season 2023/24  (Read 2212 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 10:52:39 »

Kemp, Young and UGM in that order
This for me too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:00:06 »

Brewitt?! Khan!? Don't even deserve mentions.

Both have more MoM votes than Young, who is currently a comfortable second in this vote. Arguably that just shows that democracy can't be trusted, or alternatively both suffer from having had a good start to the season and then tailed off badly (as opposed to just leaving the club, which is good for your legacy!). First part of the season up to Newport H on 14th October, Brewitt was literally leading the vote. He's barely received a vote since though.

I think there will be some seriously grumbling when I do the EOS post about how well Brewitt does!
« Last Edit: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:06:01 by Nemo » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:04:22 »

I seriously worry about people voting for Khan and Brewitt. They've been appalling.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:08:16 »

Brewitt did start the season well. As did the team. He tailed off and has looked garbage since his first injury.

Not in the POTS discussion though!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:17:57 »

Brewitt got some sympathetic votes at the start of the season - I don’t think he was ever great but did well with the hand he was dealt (ie two CB partners bombing forward and not defending)

At that point - I certainly gave him the benefit of the doubt that the system / formation / tactics were hugely contributing to his reactionary, erratic, out of position, last ditch defending. He was doing what needed doing - he got props for that.

However, since changing the shape / formation / tactics & personnel Brewitt has still played exactly the same and showed nothing to suggest he could be a much calmer, proactive defender.

I can see why he got votes early on & was cut some slack…
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:20:49 »

…and his last ditch defending is good but early on in the season it felt like he was covering for other people’s lack of defending….later on he showed that’s just his game in general.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 11:41:38 »

To be fair to Brewitt he was the only defensive player in the team at the start of the season.
Both UGM & FBT were looking to push forward at every opportunity & the wing backs rarely defended so most of the defending was left to him, that added to the lack of a defensive midfielder meant he got a lot less criticism than he was probably due.

If Flynn had been able to sign the CB he wanted there’s little doubt that Brewitt would have been the one on the bench
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 12:58:34 »

UGM has been the most consistent performer over the season.
Kemp was the best performer over half a season.
We got lucky with Young and his goal return was impressive over half a season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 12:59:51 »

Says a lot that FBT, who would have been right up there in his first season, is nowhere to be seen this, in the poll as on the pitch. Biggest downward movement across the squad.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 13:02:11 »

Says a lot that FBT, who would have been right up there in his first season, is nowhere to be seen this, in the poll as on the pitch. Biggest downward movement across the squad.

He won by a landslide last year: https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=59605.0
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 13:03:02 »

Don't know how people can put UGM right up there. His marauding runs might have been fine for a central midfielder, but he bears a share of the responsibility for being part of the leakiest defence we've had since Prem days (against very average opposition).

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #26 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 14:39:06 »

I seriously worry about people voting for Khan and Brewitt. They've been appalling.

Literally no one has voted Brewitt in this poll
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 14:51:22 »

Don't know how people can put UGM right up there. His marauding runs might have been fine for a central midfielder, but he bears a share of the responsibility for being part of the leakiest defence we've had since Prem days (against very average opposition).
Its because of the way we play.

He's not a great defender, no. If it was marking him (or any of the defence e.g. Brewitt who is a stay at home defender, then its 'nil point'!) But his marauding runs have been a big part of us winning games.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 15:23:03 »

All personal opinion.No one has been consistently good throughout the season. Some have had decent and terrible patches(Brewitt,UGM, McCarthy,McEachran,Austin,even Khan) Some have been more bad than good(Shade, FBT) some have been good for the majority of games they've played( Young, Glatzel, Bycroft and Mahoney) some have been consistently average( Kinsella,Devoy). One has been above average in most games he's played. Kemp

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 16:46:42 »

Dokes.  Personally, I think he covers, tackles and intercepts like defender.  Perhaps lacks the mentality.  No aerial presence but he is eager and careful enough with his challenges.  As noted above, his marauding runs have turned defence into attack with genuine threat.  Not his fault, imo, that our coaching has never applied any system to cover him when he loses the ball.  A decent CDM and better defensive coaching with responsibility shared with wingers and also the CDMs and CDs should cover that.  Unlike Khan for eg, Dokes hasn't tended to wrongfoot his own defence losing the ball suddenly in the defensive third failing with a turn or drag back.  There has generally been time for a teammate to cover him losing possession out of position.  Also he consistently puts in 100% effort.

Kemp obviously.  But only half a season.  So not for me. Perhaps I should not count that against his wondrous movement and finishing.  After all, I gave up watching after Sutton away and can only judge on 85% of a torrid season.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: