Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fitton and co...  (Read 39574 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:24:45 »

Which is (like it or not) based on the last 10 years our natural level

Yeah.

But still crap compared with this seasons expectations
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:27:52 »

Still not good enough overall though and it will be interesting to see who gets the job permanently in the summer.

If Hart keeps us up, he wont be binned.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:34:18 »

I cant believe some people think we haven't missed Paynter!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Doore

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:34:57 »

I reckon our approach to buying / selling players is spot on. Pay money for young players with the aim of selling them on for a profit and don't pay anything for older players. If a decent offer comes in for a player then take it. We have to make money from the transfer market and this is the way to do it.

All the complaints regarding our transfer market activity boil down to one thing - Greer being sold. We've been through this a million times and personally I still don't see what the problem was. We've fucked ourselves over plenty of times in the past giving long contracts to highly paid senior players who then turn to shit or get injured and can't play. Fitton doesn't want to take that risk and it's spot on in my book.

Agree about Fitton looking out of his depth with the managers though. Malpas was a mistake, not replacing him quick enough was a mistake, not sacking Wilson sooner was a mistake. It was obvious come the end of 2010 that Wilson wasn't achieving the right results and had little chance of turning it round and he should have gone then, if he had I don't think we'd be in the mess we're in.

On the flipside, appointing Wilson was a good move and I'd say the same about Hart (short term to get us out of the shit). Still not good enough overall though and it will be interesting to see who gets the job permanently in the summer.

I've not read the thread beyond this post - but I don't need to, as this is exactly right.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:37:57 »

I don't think missing paynter has had that big an effect, but you have to say losing greer has played a big part in how we've been. Look how many clean sheets we've kept
No one in our squad holds the ball up like Billy did.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:38:31 »

I cant believe some people think we haven't missed Paynter!

We have massively.

Austin scored so many because he had Paynter up front with him.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:39:25 »

That is true. But untill we sold austin goals hadn't been the problem

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 19:43:27 »

Austin scored so many because he had Paynter up front with him.

He scored nearly as many without him, and he was out with a knackered shoulder too.

We miss Paynter though. That's true.
Lumps

« Reply #38 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 20:15:58 »

kept palace up last season

Who under him won a whole 3 games in course of his 3 months in charge. Over his entire career as a manager his win percentage has never once been over 35%. He's never once turned in the sort of performance we need to save us this season. We need over 1.6 points a game from our remaining fixtures to get to the magic 52 points. He's never averaged more than about 1.3.

I'm spectacularly underwhelmed....

Mind you if it's only until the end of the season I can't see the harm. How could things get worse?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 20:16:52 »

I was more than happy ignorant of all that thanks

Things get better but they never get good
Spencer_White

« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 20:18:40 »

Paynter resurected his career off the back of Charlie Austin.

A lot of Paynters goals were penalties.

Thats not to say Paynter wasnt a good player for us. But it does show you usually need 2 quality strikers if both are to shine.
Spencer_White

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 21:06:51 »

If, big if, we end up with Hart, to me that's 2 out of 3 managerial appointments that are absolute shockers with Malpas.
Authorising the release/sale of several vital players.
Not acting quick enough to stop our slide this season.
Not enough investment in light of the players the board have allowed to move on.
5 year plan can be laughed off the table.

I think all of this is spot on. Basically every change the club has made in the last 12 months has been a step backwards on the playing side, including swapping Danny Wilson for Paul Hart. Raised a lot of cash (and no Im not saying the board are trousering it because I know what the wages are like now).

I could not believe that Benyon was our only piece of business on deadline day. There were bargains to be had.

It was difficult to defend Danny Wilson towards the end of this run. But we all know that very few managers with a better record than him will want the job. Inspite of the terrible results you never saw the fans really turn against him in the ground, it was mainly just sounding off on the internet. Compare that to Malpas. The Malpas Out chants started after about a month, and they were comming from thousands of fans, sometimes just 30 minutes into games.

Last season we had 12 months of looking like one of the best run clubs in the Football League and now weve had 12 months of looking like one of the worst run clubs in the Football League.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 22:25:41 »

Basically every change the club has made in the last 12 months has been a step backwards on the playing side, including swapping Danny Wilson for Paul Hart.

Fuck me Spencer. At least have the decency to wait until we've kicked a ball in anger with him in charge before you consign Hart to the scrap heap. Jesus fucking wept - give the bloke a chance Roll Eyes
Lumps

« Reply #43 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 22:38:21 »

Can I also point out that we have Mr Hart to thank for introducing a certain David Prutton to first team professional football...........
Coca Fola

« Reply #44 on: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 22:52:58 »

Can I also point out that we have Mr Hart to thank for introducing a certain David Prutton to first team professional football...........
He should have to apologise for that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: