Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Monday, April 29, 2024, 19:24:13)
Murphy Mahoney - 3 (2.3%)
Tom Brewitt - 0 (0%)
Udoka Godwin-Malife - 21 (16.4%)
Conor McCarthy - 1 (0.8%)
Saidou Khan - 1 (0.8%)
Dan Kemp - 65 (50.8%)
Paul Glatzel - 10 (7.8%)
Jake Young - 21 (16.4%)
Charlie Austin - 0 (0%)
None of the Above - 6 (4.7%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TEF Player of the Season 2023/24  (Read 2274 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 19:24:13 »

TEF Player of the Season sponsored by Kiwi Polish: ideal for making your turds nice and shiny

The shortlist chosen based on MoM votes, pro rata for those only around part of the season and a minimum of 10 appearances. If there's anyone not on here who you'd genuinely vote for then stick them in the thread and I'll count them up. I know there's one game left, but nobody is changing their mind based on Morecambe. I've left the poll open for eight days so you can wait to vote if you really want. You get three votes, it's technically a top three but they all count the same, feel free to post the order below.

Your candidates are...

Murphy Mahoney - Goalkeeper
25 appearances, 53 goals conceded, four clean sheets

One of three candidates who left the club in January and five that played only half the season, goalkeeper Mahoney racked up plenty of votes despite conceding more than two goals a game through his spell between the sticks in SN1. Is his excellence at ball retrieval enough to get your vote?

Tom Brewitt - Defender
24 (+9) appearances, 1 goal

Possibly the most divisive player in the Swindon squad, are voters still on board with Brewitt’s heart on sleeve/heart in mouth style of defending? Or have you started to accept / always believed that he simply isn’t very good at football?

Udoka Godwin-Malife - Defender
43 appearances, 1 goal, 3 assists

Possibly the only positive story behind the scenes at Town this season was UGM’s John Legend cover version, and in this grimmest of seasons, perhaps picking a Pop Idol is easier than picking a Kop Idol? Often our biggest attacking threat, from centre back, to be fair to him, and probably our most consistent player.

Conor McCarthy
16 (+1) appearances, 2 assists

Perhaps nominated for his first two games alone, McCarthy arrived in a large box labeled “that dominant central defender we’ve needed for a decade” and initially at least, lived up to the billing. He tailed off badly towards the end of the season, but two or three good games is probably enough to put him in the top half of this squad right?

Saidou Khan - Midfielder
33 appearances, 1 goal, 3 assists

Did I say Brewitt was the most divisive player in the squad? Perhaps not. Depending on your view, the best defensive midfielder in the league (thanks for reading Gav) or a positional, temperamental liability. Certainly the player in our squad with the biggest gap between his best days and his worst.

Dan Kemp - Midfielder
27 appearances, 16 goals, 8 assists

It’s Dan Kemp. God I miss Dan Kemp.

Paul Glatzel - Forward
17 (+1) appearances, 7 goals, 2 assists

Another January signing, and one that we’d probably have been happy to have just seen remain uninjured for the rest of the campaign based on his past record. He’s exceeded expectations in a grim time for Town and should be the first name on the teamsheet next year. Let’s just hope it’s for Swindon, not Mansfield for £25k.

Jake Young - Forward
22 (+4) appearances, 16 goals, 4 assists

Has a striker scoring 16 goals in half a season ever got less love? It’s a funny one, Young really didn’t get that many votes in the MoM polls over his time at Town but by Christ we’d be sunk without his goals. Have you re-evaluated enough to vote for him?

Charlie Austin - Forward
36 (+11) appearances, 10 goals, 6 assists

I thought about not including Charlie Austin on the shortlist. He’s not even close on the MoM votes and to be honest I think he’s been fucking dire most of the season. On the other hand, he’s been involved in every game outside the BSM Trophy, scored 10 and assisted 6. Maybe you want to vote for him as a lifetime contribution award, I don’t know?

None of the above - Utility Player
Sure to be a popular choice, ‘none of the above’ would have swept the week-by-week voting if not for regularly being put up for selection by the manager. In our worst season for seventy years, is it unreasonable to spoil your ballot?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 19:30:24 »

Kemp & Young get my votes. That’s it.

UGM has been ok and in hindsight we definitely got the better end of the deal when you consider FGR got relegated and a whopping 4 starts and 9 sub appearances out of Marcel Lavinier who looked like a prospect for us the previous season.
Lemis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 19:40:43 »

Shame we can't vote Kemp thrice, reckon we'd be down without his contributions

Young and Dokes get my other votes

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 19:57:08 »

I went Kemp, Young, Glatzel, but please imagine a very large gap between each name in that list.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 20:57:30 »

Kemp, Young and Glatzel for me too.
I can’t seriously vote for any defenders with the goals we keep conceding - in number and type. We’ve conceded over 1.8 goals a game in the league, and in some games it could have been a lot more.
In my view, UGM gets a lot of his MoM votes for his driving forward runs carrying the ball out of defence - these are eye catching but distract many from his poor positioning in defence.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 21:00:13 »

In the OSC player of the season vote, I protested that not allowing votes for departed loanees was nonsense - Dan Kemp is the obvious Player of the Season - and said in those circumstances I would vote for Reece Devine.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 21:28:05 »

Dan Kemp for me
iParadise

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 21:29:35 »

Kemp. Without him we’d be looking forward to the National League next season.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 21, 2024, 21:31:17 »

Kemp is the best player we had this season. But even he had long periods in games where he was ineffective.

Young was mostly ineffective and then out of nothing scored a goal or two per game!

UGM is probably the most influential in games across the whole season. But, he’s not all that good and he is still here and he is ours.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 22, 2024, 08:23:49 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 07:18:03 »

Kemp for me followed by young
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 07:41:42 »

UGM has been our best player over the whole season.

Kemp and Young saved our ass in the first 9 games, with Kemp being more consistent than Young.

Kemp it is
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 09:07:51 »

UGM has been our best player over the whole season.

Kemp and Young saved our ass in the first 9 games, with Kemp being more consistent than Young.

Kemp it is

Those were the 3 I voted for. Dread to think where we might be without Kemp and Young's involvements up to January.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 09:11:30 »

Those were the 3 I voted for. Dread to think where we might be without Kemp and Young's involvements up to January.

Bottom?

Interestingly (I suppose) we've actually scored a lot of goals this season - 74 - which is more than three of the four teams in the playoffs (14 more than Barrow!)

We have however conceded more than rock bottom FGR and joint second most in the league (80) with Salford and Sutton. Who said there was nothing to fight for on the final day.

Notts County are a more extreme version of us - scored more than everyone but Stockport and conceded more than absolutely everyone
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 09:18:56 »

Kemp, Young and UGM in that order

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 22, 2024, 10:51:18 »

Brewitt?! Khan!? Don't even deserve mentions.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: