Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlie Austin To Get England Under 21 Call-up  (Read 12743 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 17:29:10 »

I think we'd agree that strikers should have all the qualities listed but many make a good career from the game without being blessed with pace. With Charlie's current goals per game ratio his record reminds me of that brilliant kraut goal scorer Gerd Muller.  He wasn't fast but like Charlie seemed to have the gift of anticipation & like Charlie used to put his shot on target with precision.  He was however physically very strong with legs like oak trees & very difficult to shake off the ball when in possession.
Of course, Charlie is still young, raw & relatively inexperienced so I'm not suggesting that he is yet and International class player but I cannot think of anyone who's come from a similar level of non-league football so quickly & made the impact that he has.  

In my more idle moments, my thoughts on Austin have turned to Der Bomber, who incidentally began his career in the 8th tier of Kraut Fussball, with Nordlingen.

But I've tended to wake up and thought no Reg keep it to yourself, the cunts on the TEF will think you're going senile....and they'd be right insofar as Muller is an all time great...one of about 4 or 5 to better a goal a game.

Charlie boy is doing good, lets not heap presure onto his shoulders..

Nordlingen's ground is now called Gerd Muller Stadion....Charlie Austin Stadium in 20 years time then  Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 18:20:21 »

I think in that company, he would probably be 4th or 5th out of 5, but he wouldn't look out of place. My order would be Welbeck (by a mile), Sturridge, Carroll, then the other two.

When Austin came here we all looked at his goal a game at Poole and questioned whether he would be able to step up to League One - no one thought he would make the 1st eleven so quickly nor that he would keep up a goal a game, but he has. So who is to say he couldn't keep it up at a higher level?

Sure it would have been a bit of a risk trying him at under 21 level, but for the small chance of it paying off I'd say its worth going for. We're short in the striker department at the moment and need to find the next Owen quickly, not saying its going to be Austin but who knows? There was a lot of doubt when he came here and look where we are now.

They seem to worry a bit too much about the under 21 team winning games at the moment, rather than giving experience to the next batch of players to make the step up to the full team. Walcott playing over the summer being a prime example, what was the point in doing that?
iffy

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 22:12:25 »

Fucking ace. I get called out for comparing him to Danny Welbeck, but the suggestion that he's the new Gerd Muller passes without comment.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 22:48:10 »

I thought Reg was being a bit silly on purpose, whereas you genuinley believed it.

I may, of course, be wrong though. It's not unheard of

Things get better but they never get good
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: