Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cambridge Utd v Swindon Town pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 24312 times)
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 15:55:53 »

The season is petering out as a bit of a damp squid.  4 consecutive draws.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 15:56:55 »

The season is petering out as a bit of a damp squid.  4 consecutive draws.

Squib. All squid are damp.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #152 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 15:57:14 »

0-0 Still unbeaten but that was a pretty shit performance over all.

Play off hopes finally over.

Not many bad performances except maybe Koiki and possibly Woolery but not really many good performers either.

Knoyle my MoM followed by Doughty, Woolf, Conroy and Rose all looked better than average. Anderson looked good at times too.

House looked OK but not better than Robinson.
Bennetts poorest game for weeks too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 15:57:18 »

Game over man, game over.

Bit of a limp way to surrender the season, but truth be told we've simply not been good enough today or all season.

Stupid football
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 15:57:39 »

Too many draws.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:00:45 »

Wellens gave the ref a right ear-bending at the end. Can only imagine it might be about the House penalty chance. He seemed pretty fair otherwise.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:01:36 »

Squib. All squid are damp.

You are correct  Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:03:37 »

Not quite the story of the season, but a game that showed we are not quite there yet.  Early season cost us dearly, Wellens has shown we are as good as anyone in this league and better than most, but we left ourselves in a position where away draws are not enough.  Next season we need to add a sprinkle of players that enable us to unlock this type of game, because most at home will be like it.  I'm am happy with how we have performed away, certainly after the turn of the yer.  We'll get enough points on our travels playing the way we have been, but we have to win more at home.  If we were to get a couple of wins from the last couple of games then our form since Jan 5th will be good.  Wellens needs to keep that going and just push it a little but further.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:11:31 »

Not quite the story of the season, but a game that showed we are not quite there yet.  Early season cost us dearly, Wellens has shown we are as good as anyone in this league and better than most, but we left ourselves in a position where away draws are not enough.  Next season we need to add a sprinkle of players that enable us to unlock this type of game, because most at home will be like it.  I'm am happy with how we have performed away, certainly after the turn of the yer.  We'll get enough points on our travels playing the way we have been, but we have to win more at home.  If we were to get a couple of wins from the last couple of games then our form since Jan 5th will be good.  Wellens needs to keep that going and just push it a little but further.

I agree with this. The framework of a decent side is  there,need a few new faces in the summer to strengthen our attack.
I doubted the appointment of Wellens but he's proved me wrong and given a whole season with a full squad of his choice i think we will do well next year
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:13:34 »

Today in isolation:

I'd take their Keeper if today was true of his general play.

Knoyle looks a good player, get him signed up.

Koiki - still a lot of rough edges.  He was poor in defence last week and going forward this week.

Conroy - did ok

Woolfenden - did ok

The pair of them combined is just missing something, Broadbent should be a good addition as he adds a bit more steel.  I think today we were on the edge of being a bit bullied from the long balls forward.

Rose - I like him, think taking him off was not the right move, would have taken off Bennett or Woolery.  Extend him for the full yea and build the midfield off of him.

Doughty - on the edge of having a good game but he probably needs to be released forward more to be truly effective.

Anderson, Woolery & Bennett - none of them did enough in truth today.  This is our issue for next season.  Against a Bury or Tranmere, this group look a handful running into space and on the break.  Against a team clogging the pitch they look like they dally on the ball too long and get in each others way.  Either we unlock their potential, or we add something to change it.  Personally, I'd try and find a midfield bully, an athlete to sit behind Doughty and take one of those three out.

House - nothing shown that makes you interested.

Robinson - looked more lively and caused the defenders to make snap judgements that they didn't do when House was on.  This is another area we need to add to - someone different, a proper goalscorer, one who can create when a game is tight.  I'd be happy enough for Robinson to be signed, but we need another alongside him.  Options are needed, and we don't have them now.

Dunne - busy, but he's not going to be a player to push us on.

The foundation is solid, in certain types of games we look really good, in others we look a bit blunt and that's where we need to focus in the post season.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:15:41 »

Wellens pissed off.

says we played at 60%.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:17:25 »

Next season we need to add a sprinkle of players that enable us to unlock this type of game, because most at home will be like it.
The problem is, are there are likely to be many better players we could attract than Woolery, Anderson and Bennett?

4 points from the last 12 has done for us. Not really a fair reflection but shit happens.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:20:04 »

The problem is, are there are likely to be many better players we could attract than Woolery, Anderson and Bennett?

4 points from the last 12 has done for us. Not really a fair reflection but shit happens.

That's why we need a different approach available.  Doughty should have played a game like today behind the front players, with an athletic water carrier behind him.  The type of player who could burst forward if needed and also mix it up a bit in midfield to enable Doughty to forget about defending.  Those three are still a great asset in a fair chunk of games.  Also having another option upfront down the middle would help us.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:21:47 »

Vigs is out of here! Not training with club for rest of the season.

Rejected new deal 5 weeks ago.

Unprofessional since,  wanted day off to go to his new club to look at facilities.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, April 19, 2019, 16:21:59 »

And over a full season - a game like today and a result like today should be ok.  It's only the context of where we are that makes it so frustrating.  The pre-Jan Home form is the issue we need to fix.  We've looked much better at home since the end of the transfer window, but it still needs a bit more improvement.  then today is a point to add to a tally of points gained at home.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: