Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: SWINDON TOWN: Portugal media ban does no one any favours  (Read 20686 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:18:09 »

Not really my thing, there's a first time for everything though. Out of interest Reg, at what point to cub reporters get to drop the "cub" from their title? Need to know so I can amend my business card.

Think it took Clive King 10 years...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:27:38 »

It's a bit like the big kids you remember from school who used to terrorise new arrivals and telling them that you had to be there for at least 12 years before you weren't a 'new kid' any more.

I love journalistic lingo...words only used by or about journos.  As well as 'cub', there's also 'swoop' (only newspapers ever talk about a manager 'swooping' for a new signing).  And 'tot'.  As in 'Tot, 2, in Amazing River Rescue'.  Have you ever heard 'tot' to describe a child other than on the pages of a newspaper?  I haven't.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:30:25 »

Maybe they want the new manager to have an uninterrupted week with his new team but then that would give us nothing to get our knickers in a twist about so that's probably not it.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
china red

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:38:39 »

Sam, did you cause some mischief on last years tour?  

In all seriousness whats your take on the current board?

Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:34:50 »

Think it took Clive King 10 years...
Blimey, if it takes that long it'll be "unemployed" reporter not "cub" reporter. Thanks for the heads-up.
The Great Stan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:38:50 »

It's a bit like the big kids you remember from school who used to terrorise new arrivals and telling them that you had to be there for at least 12 years before you weren't a 'new kid' any more.

I love journalistic lingo...words only used by or about journos.  As well as 'cub', there's also 'swoop' (only newspapers ever talk about a manager 'swooping' for a new signing).  And 'tot'.  As in 'Tot, 2, in Amazing River Rescue'.  Have you ever heard 'tot' to describe a child other than on the pages of a newspaper?  I haven't.

My favourite ever Adver headline was

'Motorist Helps Finger Girl'

Cracker!
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:38:57 »

Sam, did you cause some mischief on last years tour?  

In all seriousness whats your take on the current board?

I don't think I caused any trouble - you'd have to ask those remaining at the club who were there back then if I did.
I'm open to their proposed vision for the club and there have been decent initiatives unfortunately clouded by recurrent miscommunication. Some of the labels they have been given are grossly unfair, some of them are just. It seems as though you have to have an extreme view with this bunch, when really you don't.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:41:40 »

I don't think I caused any trouble - you'd have to ask those remaining at the club who were there back then if I did.
I'm open to their proposed vision for the club and there have been decent initiatives unfortunately clouded by recurrent miscommunication. Some of the labels they have been given are grossly unfair, some of them are just. It seems as though you have to have an extreme view with this bunch, when really you don't.
Is "recurrent miscommunication" a euphemism for our chairman attempting to goad a certain Town player via Twitter in what turned out to be a fake account instead of doing the sensible thing and making a phone call?

Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:49:25 »

Is "recurrent miscommunication" a euphemism for our chairman attempting to goad a certain Town player via Twitter in what turned out to be a fake account instead of doing the sensible thing and making a phone call?

Not specifically no. There have been certain instances where we have been given embargoes or asked to hold fire on certain stories and then been left behind. However, they have still had periods of very open lines of communication and media briefings. Seems a little Jekyll and Hyde at times. In general they have been pretty good with the press although more on-the-record comment wouldn't go a miss.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:52:14 »

Not specifically no. There have been certain instances where we have been given embargoes or asked to hold fire on certain stories and then been left behind. However, they have still had periods of very open lines of communication and media briefings. Seems a little Jekyll and Hyde at times. In general they have been pretty good with the press although more on-the-record comment wouldn't go a miss.
I'm guessing you won't answer this but do you believe that a) they're a trying to run things on the smallest budget possible because they haven't got a pot to piss in or b) they're trying to do what is best by the club without resorting to their deep pockets?
Sam Morshead

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 11:53:27 »

I'm guessing you won't answer this but do you believe that a) they're a trying to run things on the smallest budget possible because they haven't got a pot to piss in or b) they're trying to do what is best by the club without resorting to their deep pockets?
Closer to b than a.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 12:05:32 »

Maybe Sam can revisit some stories from the Orange hats days next week to fill the pages Wink

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 12:05:51 »

Closer to b than a.

Except for the deep pockets bit I assume.
china red

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 12:57:43 »

Any idea who the chap was who was due to buy us but passed away Sam.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 15:00:39 »

I doubt he'll be resurrecting the deal anytime soon, so probably not worth trying to dig around for the name.

We are where we are.  If enough fans think the new owners are up to no good, they should get odd their jacksies and offer an alternative, like was patched together a few years ago.  There was a very real threat to the club, fans were passionate enough about it to organise something.  Moaning about it won't do too much good.

I think fan ownership or some sort of funded deal would be a good idea in general, but I see no evidence suggesting the current board are somehow robbing the club or setting up a huge structural problem for years to come like was evident with Diamandis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: