Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Watkins defends FA Cup shirt sponsor  (Read 18315 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 05:16:24 »

Swindon Borough Council, is a unitary authority independent of Wiltshire Council since 1997

Bit Partridge esque really

I will get some t shirts printed up!

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 07:23:11 »

I'm hoping the trip to vale park will prove much more fruitful than that day Reg!  Cheesy

I always regard a trip to Vale Park as something of a litmus test for our prospects....take 86/87 for example we went on a wet and windy Wednesday, came away with a 4-3 win, first win there in years and duly got promoted.

If we cn get anything there, then it will be a very good sign of things to come....defeat, may indicate a lowering of expectations for the season.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 07:40:50 »

The first game I went to was against Port Vale and we lost.

I just hope that Caddis, Ritchie, Ferry and the gang know this little fact. I'm sure they do.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 07:43:24 »

Vale were the opposition for my eldest lads first league game. We won 6-0.

Another repeat please.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 07:46:14 »

The first game I went to was against Port Vale and we lost.

I just hope that Caddis, Ritchie, Ferry and the gang know this little fact. I'm sure they do.

I waited 25 years to see that win at The Wembley of the North....our recent record isn't so bad, but we did contrive to lose on the last visit to a terrible Vale side who got relegated, and we put 6 past at the CG.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 08:26:16 »

Last time I went was a 1 - 0 win when George Ndah scored a great goal which used to be regularly included in Sky's best goals in the snow compilation. Fuck me it was cold that day.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #96 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 08:52:22 »

I waited 25 years to see that win at The Wembley of the North....our recent record isn't so bad, but we did contrive to lose on the last visit to a terrible Vale side who got relegated, and we put 6 past at the CG.

Not only is it the Wembley of the North its the 2nd highest football league ground in the country after West Brom. Much thinner air at that altitude (160m asl), will show the fitness levels Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 08:56:07 »

1. We shouldn't be sponsored by The P****e.  Ever.  It's not 'water under the bridge' It never will be. Ever.
2. Our traditional kit is Red shirts, white shorts, red socks.
3. Swindon isn't in Wiltshire anymore.

It's a little more nuanced than that, as I referred to in a recent rant.  Distinction between political and traditional counties necessary.

How Wiltshire are you?

I'd say any kit preference depends on when you started watching.

I do know what you mean.  I still think that the early 1990s kit that was essentially red with a small amount of white & green trim (no doubt introduced to match the colours of the diamond crest that was introduced at the same time) looked really good.  It was quite distinctive as well...still predominatly red, but the small amount of green in there made it distinctly & uniquely 'us'.

Funnily enough, that kit's introduction was also the one of the last times (other than Wembley 2010) when there was a shitstorm in the press about a new kit.  (Note to Nick Watkins: pls don't take it too personally.  Things like this were happening long before your tenure.)  It must have been summer 1991 or 1992 and the Adver leaked the story that the new home strip was going to be red, white & green without (I think...long time ago now) showing a mock up of what it would actually look like.  The letters pages went mental for days.  And then the kit came out, people saw it looked quite decent and it all went quiet again.  Also helps that we had our finest hour in that kit.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 4, 2011, 08:57:41 by Ardiles » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #98 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 09:06:32 »

I don't have many good memories of Port Vale, been to Vale Park 6 times and only seen us win there once in 86 when we won 4-3 with goals from Kamara, White, Jones and Gilligan, saw us draw twice as well though.

My only real underlying memory is of Calderwoods super long ranger at home to the Vale over Mark grews head.

For those young uns that havent seen it...here...revel in its glory!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 09:12:41 »

The inaugural league game for the new DRS (then the Intel Stand) was vs Port Vale.  A 2-0 win, I think.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 09:53:06 »

Every memory I have of Port Vale involves being fucking frozen.
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 10:01:04 »

It's a little more nuanced than that, as I referred to in a recent rant.  Distinction between political and traditional counties necessary.

How Wiltshire are you?

I do know what you mean.  I still think that the early 1990s kit that was essentially red with a small amount of white & green trim (no doubt introduced to match the colours of the diamond crest that was introduced at the same time) looked really good.  It was quite distinctive as well...still predominatly red, but the small amount of green in there made it distinctly & uniquely 'us'.

Funnily enough, that kit's introduction was also the one of the last times (other than Wembley 2010) when there was a shitstorm in the press about a new kit.  (Note to Nick Watkins: pls don't take it too personally.  Things like this were happening long before your tenure.)  It must have been summer 1991 or 1992 and the Adver leaked the story that the new home strip was going to be red, white & green without (I think...long time ago now) showing a mock up of what it would actually look like.  The letters pages went mental for days.  And then the kit came out, people saw it looked quite decent and it all went quiet again.  Also helps that we had our finest hour in that kit.

Our finest hours at Wembley were;

In white (don't start)
Red shirts, white  shorts, red socks (Spall GWR FM)
All red, with swirly pink flames (Loki Burmah) became the PL kit, not to be confused with our fine season of 1992/93 which was Diamond Leisure and had more green trim
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 11:29:59 »

Last time I went was a 1 - 0 win when George Ndah scored a great goal which used to be regularly included in Sky's best goals in the snow compilation. Fuck me it was cold that day.

Did you see the goal?

Just about from me. At 80 minutes you couldnt see the halfway line.

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 12:27:22 »

Not only is it the Wembley of the North its the 2nd highest football league ground in the country after West Brom. Much thinner air at that altitude (160m asl), will show the fitness levels Cheesy

Isn't Boundary Park - Oldham the highest in the country?
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, November 4, 2011, 12:30:47 »

Boundary park is the third highest 5 metres below Vale park.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: