Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Board back Wilson at emergency meeting  (Read 22691 times)
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 11:05:15 »

Think everybody is a bit pissed off how we've gone from slightly misfiring but playing only a bit shit, to being nailed on relegation certainties, in a matter of 8 or so weeks.

Normally in a relegation season you can see it coming fairly early doors, and there's an obvious reason for it....like being in a league too high....financial meltdown...that sort of thing, but here none of the indicators are there, other than I suppose selling players in the window.

This season reminds me of 1990/91 when we had a huge playoff hangover (in slightly different and more painful circumstances) but we ended up selling our best players (Alan Mac, Bodin), lost an influential captain (The Fridge's bad knee injury) yet showed some performances that reminded that the team could play (4-0 at City and 4-2 at the Manor). Yet we ended up struggling to stay up and had to grind out results. If I remember Hoddle didn't come in until end of March/April time.

This season isn't over yet, yes we are playing badly, but there is still points that can be picked up and we might suprise ourselves somewhere with a big win. I remember in 2002/3 under Kingy we lost 7 or 8 on the trot, looked doomed and Coppell said nothing could be done yet we started with a 2-2 draw with Colchester and started picking up points again. Let's not give up on staying up in February!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 11:08:53 »

This season reminds me of 1990/91 when we had a huge playoff hangover (in slightly different and more painful circumstances) but we ended up selling our best players (Alan Mac, Bodin), lost an influential captain (The Fridge's bad knee injury) yet showed some performances that reminded that the team could play (4-0 at City and 4-2 at the Manor). Yet we ended up struggling to stay up and had to grind out results. If I remember Hoddle didn't come in until end of March/April time.

This season isn't over yet, yes we are playing badly, but there is still points that can be picked up and we might suprise ourselves somewhere with a big win. I remember in 2002/3 under Kingy we lost 7 or 8 on the trot, looked doomed and Coppell said nothing could be done yet we started with a 2-2 draw with Colchester and started picking up points again. Let's not give up on staying up in February!

Yep-Stigger's hattrick kept us up!Maybe a hattrick from another unlikely source might do for us-Prutton??!!!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
flammableBen

« Reply #122 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 11:53:59 »

How did you convince yourself?

Shit I didn't.

Ban time.
flammableBen

« Reply #123 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 11:57:50 »

It's really hard to ban yourself for a day.
flammableBen

« Reply #124 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 12:00:50 »

heh, it just straight up doesn't let you do it. I'm unbannableben
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 12:08:20 »

I can see your point on 90/91, but there is one crucial difference, that season because of reorganisation only 2 went down, had it been 4 we'd have gone, as happened in 94/95.

The threat of relegation did creep up that season, as we were happily mid table at a comparable time on a run of 2 defeats in 14. That season we signed Lorenzo a WC finalist who helped stabilise the defence, this season Flint from Alfreton Town  Smiley

To save this season will require a huge turnaround, for which there is no evidence of it happening....which is why my attention is turning to next season in L2.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: