Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Friday are we going to sign any strikers thread?  (Read 17619 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 10:29:09 »

It said in the adver that none of the trialists are being given contracts.

Never knowingly overstated.

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 10:31:51 »

i think it's pretty obvious that funds are not really anywhere near what we hope they would be.if they were, we would have had a decent replacement for cox by now.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 10:36:13 »

I think we should all complain about the striker situation even if we are top at the end of August, that'll show em.

I can't help but giggle at all the comments like "how long can we give them...".  What are you going to do if we don't sign the person we think we should be signing? stop supporting the club.

I can't give a flying fuck who plays for the club, provided we have a team doing the best it can.  As Juddie says, we've spent the summer chasing good quality targets, they tend to be going to bigger clubs than us (get over it, we are small fry).  People have moaned that we should drop our sights a little, so names get rumoured who aren't top quality and then people moan about why we are even considering them.  There is hardly a flood of decent strikers moving to League 1 clubs, so it's not like we are being pipped by clubs of our own level (only Huddersfield and Norwich in our league have signed anyone near decent, and  remember plenty of people thinking Holt wasn't good enough anyway).

Why dont we try and sign Frank Lampard........bid 200k and get fucked off by Chelsea as a joke.......go on the Adver site and state we want quality players and this shows our intent and will keep trying.....

That would really cheer me up as we trot out tomorrow!

Clems Army!
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #63 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 10:59:14 »

still give DW Time... ONCE AGAIN ok 2006/07 season we had Peacock/Roberts/Corr (injured) /Sturrock (pants), and they were never going to score goals and on deadline day we got Paynter and Cox, now I am not saying this will happen again but it shows we don’t need to press the panic button yet. Judging by some comments its as if we are saying “well Paynter can do a job so lets just leave it to him we don’t need anyone else” its not like that at all from where I a sitting. I would take Trundle on loan, apart from wages, it would be a gamble which could be a good one. Who knows? Plenty of time, ideal? NO ofcourse not, but its where we are….

FWIW I realise we were still on a high from promotion which is why we may have done well at the start of that season where now we are on the back of just avoiding relegation.
Barry Scott

« Reply #64 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:02:05 »

I'm not in anyway bothered by our striker situation. Yet.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:04:45 »

I disagree arriba, it's not about funds. The players we're looking at would command bigger fees than we've paid in the past, or bigger wages, it simply boils down to the fact that they want to play for championship teams and not league one teams, or sides they think have more chance than going up than us.

Theo Robinson joined a side that has spent a shed load, fair enough. I'd choose them over us. Waghorn chose the championship over us, again fair enough.

But at least that's where we're looking, and not buying muppets like blair sturrock.

And for all the muppets on thisis moaning, it'\s like they think Wilson has his head in the sand and is ignoring the problem. I'm sure it's occupying 99% of his time right now.

Like BS and RobT, I'm not worried yet.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:13:23 by juddie » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:05:32 »

still give DW Time... ONCE AGAIN ok 2006/07 season we had Peacock/Roberts/Corr (injured) /Sturrock (pants), and they were never going to score goals and on deadline day we got Paynter and Cox, now I am not saying this will happen again but it shows we don’t need to press the panic button yet. Judging by some comments its as if we are saying “well Paynter can do a job so lets just leave it to him we don’t need anyone else” its not like that at all from where I a sitting. I would take Trundle on loan, apart from wages, it would be a gamble which could be a good one. Who knows? Plenty of time, ideal? NO ofcourse not, but its where we are….

FWIW I realise we were still on a high from promotion which is why we may have done well at the start of that season where now we are on the back of just avoiding relegation.

2007/2008.

Call yourself a fan? Pah.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:45:34 »

My other point was that it makes no sense all this posturing.  Surely it's the results and performances that matter, are people really saying that if we win 1-0 tomorrow but haven't signed a striker that they will spend the next week spitting with rage at how we haven't signed a striker?  and what exactly are they going to do about it when they say they are getting worried about it.

It's probably of little relevance, but 1992/93 came to my mind, and Leicester pushed us pretty hard that season playing with 1 young raw talent upfront and a centre half.  In 1993/94 we got relegated despite trying out a fair number of forwards.  Numbers mean jack, it's what the players you have can do that matters and we won't really know that answer for a few weeks.  Then we can all moan or get excited.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:49:21 »

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/Interview/0,,10341~1745502,00.html

Just as fucking well!!!

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:49:49 »

It's natural for football fans to comment on how they see their their football team isn't it. Of course we will moan at having no strikers, then be fickle in ignoring the fact if it turns out not to matter if we win the first six games 1-0.

It's what we do.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:53:19 by Batch » Logged
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 12:48:32 »

how many goals did BP score this pre-season?  Cheesy
Rich Pullen

« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 12:51:53 »

2 and they came in the same game Smiley
carbonwhite

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 12:53:49 »

was we playing 1 upfront in that game?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 13:24:52 »

Ask SONN.
Dazzza

« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 14:29:28 »

Pick the phone up and get the recently retired Tommy Mooney registered for Saturday and sit the bald arse on the bench as insurance.

I don’t think since the deepest darkest days of the smoking chimp being in charge have we been this lacking in firepower and in the chimp’s defence it was the hand he inherited from the departing Colin Todd that left him short and doing an “Anton”.

It’s unlucky we’ve been shafted at the final hurdle really and the philosophy of getting these lads in from a higher level is superb but I’d feel happier if we had something even a Sabin, Fola, Christ even a big Trevor Benjamin to sit on the bench and at least provide some insurance and possibly some options (albeit of their calibre they’re limited ones) to play around with.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: