Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Official Champions League Final Matchday Thread!  (Read 17462 times)
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:19:29 »

I just think they're a better side than Man United or Barcelona and they have a better record than Man United in Europe over the last 5 seasons. 4 points over a season is nothing really and doesn't mean Man United are any better than them. If Crouch was still with them they would have won it for sure. Barcelona only made the final due to an incompetent referee anyway.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:21:17 by Ben Wah Balls » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #136 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:25:22 »

Liverpool didn't make it to the final because they weren't good enough.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:26:50 »

I just think they're a better side than Man United or Barcelona and they have a better record than Man United in Europe over the last 5 seasons anyway. 4 points over a season is nothing really and doesn't mean Man United are any better than them. If Crouch was still with them they would have won it for sure.

ManUre have won the league this season, without having to play terribly well. It was there for Liverpool, but they blew it.  Years back it used to be the other way around, ie other teams played the better football, but the Scousers ground out the results, and would nick it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:34:18 »

Good point, I don't really remember Buckingham too well, I guess you're older than me.
Nah, looked something up on Barca last night, then got curious about how many English managers they'd had over the years, then followed some of those trails and, well, you know how it is
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 15:49:45 »

Many people underestimate the role that luck and variance plays over a season. In a lot of seasons the title just come down to the results of a couple of crucial games as it did this year, one or two goals or decisions can decide everything. When the difference over 38 games is 4 points it's way too insignificant a difference to actually mean one side are any better.

Last time Liverpool and Barcelona played in the champions league Barcelona went out and I think it's more than likely that would have happened again. Benitez has a superb record against Spanish sides, don't even think he's ever lost to one.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:00:43 »

Benitez has a superb record against Spanish sides, don't even think he's ever lost to one.
Yeah he has - he lost to loads of Spanish sides when he was in charge at Valencia Smiley
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:05:22 »

Yeah I was talking about losing to one as manager of Liverpool. His record against Spanish teams at his previous clubs was also very good though.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:08:42 »

So basically Ben what you are saying is liverpool are a better side than Man U and didn't win the Premier League or Champions League due to bad luck?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:30:33 »

I'm saying Liverpool would have a better chance of beating Barcelona than Man United which based on previous meetings and results in Europe is likely true and yes I think Man United were very lucky to win the league this year and aren't a better side than Liverpool or Chelsea. Those three sides are definitely very evenly matched but of the three I think Liverpool are the best side.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:51:14 »

Liverpool didn't win the league because they couldn't beat Hull or Stoke at home. Man Utd could. The table doesn't lie. They deserved it. I still think they'll go downhill if Ronaldo goes though.
DMR

« Reply #145 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 16:55:57 »

I'm saying Liverpool would have a better chance of beating Barcelona than Man United which based on previous meetings and results in Europe is likely true and yes I think Man United were very lucky to win the league this year and aren't a better side than Liverpool or Chelsea. Those three sides are definitely very evenly matched but of the three I think Liverpool are the best side.

I think every Premiership-related comment you make has got to be on the wind up.

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 17:20:53 »

nobody would have beaten barca.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 17:36:55 »

The table doesn't lie is one of those phrases that's just not true. The table isn't a list of the best teams from 1st to last, it just gives you a rough idea based on a small sample of games and better teams finish below worse teams every season due to all kinds of random factors, as should be expected in a sport where the best teams often have a very small edge over other sides.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 17:38:03 »

Christ alive.

You sound like a Spurs fan.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 17:59:09 »

The table doesn't lie is one of those phrases that's just not true. The table isn't a list of the best teams from 1st to last, it just gives you a rough idea based on a small sample of games and better teams finish below worse teams every season due to all kinds of random factors, as should be expected in a sport where the best teams often have a very small edge over other sides.

So you're saying that Liverpool are still better than Man Utd despite picking up less points and winning less games? Doesn't really make sense.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: