Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salford v Swindon Matchday & Buildup  (Read 23578 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 12:04:08 »

Or a poor Phil Neville.....every club needs a utility player to fill various positions!

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 12:04:41 »

My son describes him as “A shit James Milner”, not in a bad way but he can fill in temporarily in a number of positions.

Always useful to have on the bench, but probably wouldn’t start in any position unless you have starters missing

…quite a fair point - worth pointing out Milner started playing that role aged 35 for what was (at the time) the second best team in England who were chasing a quadruple.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #242 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 12:12:10 »

My son describes him as “A shit James Milner”, not in a bad way but he can fill in temporarily in a number of positions.

Always useful to have on the bench, but probably wouldn’t start in any position unless you have starters missing
Exactly that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 12:45:05 »

Reading this thread, can somebody change the tagline to 25% supporters, 80% moaners.  Turning into Arsenal TV this place..

Need to start calling each other fam and blud for that.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 13:01:17 »

The change that Morris made when FBT got injured won us that game.  If that was Lindsey he would have brought Minturn on and stayed with the formation, so hopefully that is a sign that Morris is starting to impose his style onto the team.

That has been the most encouraging thing about Morris for me, so far. Lindsey would have us sleep walking to defeats.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, February 19, 2023, 13:13:01 »

We rode our luck defensively and got some luck at the other end as well, but delighted with that win.

Morris speaks well, I really think he'll do well for us when he's not being dealt the shittest of shit hands. He'd be a miracle worker to squeeze us in to the play offs this season with this thin bare squad Sandros spreadsheet has shafted him with.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:24:17 »

Havent read back.

Tough watch that!

Half the pitch was threadbare and we still insisted on playing out from the back. Really got away with it when they hit the bar...easier to score.

Soft goal given away in the opening minutes.

Equalised with a great flick goal.

Improved second half.

Rest was a grind out.

Khans discipline is suspect, easily wound up.

Iandolo struggled.

Shame we dont have someone to foil off Austin.

Win is a win. Monkey off Jodys back...

Onwards to Saturday and thats going to be a tough old game.

NB - A mention to the away comms.

Brilliant that he knew all the players names...really quite a feat.

Mentioned them hitting the bar 300 time....one of the shots was offside FFS.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:26:38 »

Wow, only 17 pages, we must have won!

Green shoots on Saturday really, it wasn't amazing by any stretch and for a team on a bad run, to concede after 3 minutes won't have helped. We did ride our luck at times, I wish midfielders (Kadji was lucky at Sutton midweek, and Khan on Saturday) wouldn't A - be put under extreme pressure and B - then try and dribble their way out of deep trouble in our own box. They hit the woodwork twice (one was offside) but with Khan and Mceachran in midfield we actually had a bit about us. Lovely finish from Wakeling, hopefully that does him the world of good after a bit of a barren spell.

I did fear the worst when FBT went off but to be fair to him Darcy looked bright and sharp and a lovely 1-2 saw us take the lead. We definitely needed a huge slice of luck with it, something you definitely will take at this stage!! Good to see Shade back with minutes under the belt and hopefully with Williams coming back, we look a good side going forward - Mceachran looks a class act, he is probably playing well below his ability so we need to get promoted to probably have any chance of getting him next season. (Morris might have sway there mind you) What I did notice from Saturday was even though we held a slender lead, I don't think we sat back in our box and we were setup to cause Salford problems if we were able to break. I like that Jody Morris is clearly well aware tactically and we are a much more fluid side, this will make opposition managers' jobs a lot harder.

It wasn't perfect, but it was a start, a win on the board and with Harrogate at home up next, a great chance to get back in and around the play-off pack before a trip to the smoke and Wellens' boys.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #248 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:32:23 »

Wow, only 17 pages, we must have won!
Nah I take a fair amount of blame for that, I just cant be fucked on commenting on games at the moment so I probably would have contributed another 5 pages on my own. I can barely be bothered watching games with the dull dross served up a lot of the time.

As my post pre game states.

Must admit I haven't looked forward to a game less than this since Sheridan left.

Very low expectations for me today.
Hence the lack of my drivel which will please several posters I am sure.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:35:47 »

At least we were in the last two games. With different luck we could have won on Tuesday but lost Saturday.

Probably not enough in order to progress to the playoffs this year* but now I hope we slowly see a journey from where we are to where Morris wants us to be (albeit with different personnel) . Not quite seeing that yet

*never say never.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 20, 2023, 09:48:04 by Batch » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:03:41 »

Nah I take a fair amount of blame for that, I just cant be fucked on commenting on games at the moment so I probably would have contributed another 5 pages on my own. I can barely be bothered watching games with the dull dross served up a lot of the time.

As my post pre game states.

Hence the lack of my drivel which will please several posters I am sure.

I did wonder with you only popping up with score updates.

Not just you though, the MoM Thread has by far the lowest votes in a win of any time this season, less than half the Gunningmageddon game. There's a fair bit of apathy creeping into the online Town fans, even if the away hardcore is holding up really well.

Big win against Harrogate and that'll start going in the right direction I'm sure.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:07:03 »

https://footystats.org/england/swindon-town-fc-vs-salford-city-fc-h2h-stats#2581049

Thought I go looking for some xG on this game to see if it reflected my memory... This site has Salford 1.33 to Swindon 0.64 which feels fairly reflective, albeit I think 0.64 is generous considering we scored with a wonder goal and an own goal with no other shots on target! It wasn't a proper smash and grab or anything, but certainly Salford had the better chances and didn't take them.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #252 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:31:24 »

I am by no means blaming Morris its way too early for that shit but we seem to have gone slightly backwards since Gunnings gung-ho approach as stand in manager.

Its obviously very simplistic but in Gunnings 2 games in charge we had 45 shots with 19 on target.

In Morris's first 4 games in charge we have had 28 shots in total and 9 shots on target.

Yes there have been fitness issues and suspension issues but we went from a team creating chances and taking risks to a team who don't want to lose possession and without any risk taking.

On Saturday we had less shots on target than goals, which is some feat.

Also we are getting very few crosses into the box, Hutton went from 8 crosses per game to less than 2 per games since Morris arrived, could be a coincidence, could be that hes marked out of games or maybe his head isnt in the game/lack of form?

It just currently isnt very entertaining to watch and frankly it bores me a lot, I am hoping given time and players Morris will change that as he has inherited a weak squad in terms of availability/injuries but I fear that the players will return to fitness too late to get us into the play offs.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 10:40:38 »

Would have been intriguing to know how the game would have panned out without the enforced change.
Would Morris have taken off one of the CBs for a midfielder anyway or the change in shape completely forced?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 11:06:49 »

hopefully having RHM, shade and hopefully b Williams (soonish) back will give Morris the better forward options Gunninng had.

not saying he'll use them the same, but at least we'll almost be comparing apples with apples
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: