Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leyton Orient v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 54177 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 11:52:30 »

Brown had not done anything noteworthy in Management since about 2009.
Constant failure & sackings - exactly the type of managers we should be avoiding.

I loosely put Wellens in that category at first because of a poor spell at Oldham but he is obviously very determined to prove that wasn’t all together his fault and he’s cut out for management.

Long may it continue
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:01:48 »

It's always good to own up to be being wrong....
A good point, maybe one day you will admit to being wrong, oh mighty one who is never wrong or never ever admits to being wrong.

We're not really violent people... this is our first gun.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:11:50 »

It's worth remembering that we've still got Doughty to come back in along with Sanokho and DJ. OK, the latter two are 'wild cards' to a degree in that we don't know loads about them but they have the potential to be pretty exciting additions to the squad.

On another note, as we've been making comparisons with the 95-96 season, that game yesterday reminded me very much of Brentford away when we won 2-0 with goals from O'Sullivan and Finney. We utterly played them off the park from start to finish and really did look a league above and again (as always at Brentford) we had massive away support - almost exactly the same point in the season...2/9/95

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19960105
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:28:33 »

Just got my phone back from repair and a google page popped up. We played 528 passes with 81% accuracy against their 328 with 61% accuracy. Get thee anoraks on..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #349 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:34:28 »

It's worth remembering that we've still got Doughty to come back in along with Sanokho and DJ. OK, the latter two are 'wild cards' to a degree in that we don't know loads about them but they have the potential to be pretty exciting additions to the squad.

On another note, as we've been making comparisons with the 95-96 season, that game yesterday reminded me very much of Brentford away when we won 2-0 with goals from O'Sullivan and Finney. We utterly played them off the park from start to finish and really did look a league above and again (as always at Brentford) we had massive away support - almost exactly the same point in the season...2/9/95

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?MatchID=19960105
Some fans have forgotten the absolutely brilliant quality of the football played in the first couple of seasons of McMahons tenure.

We played so many teams off the park that season, great passing and goals from all over the pitch as well as Allison, Finney and Thorne all scoring more than 1 goal every 2 games.

The memory is obviously overshadowed by the later year of McMahons rule but in that season we played as good football as I have seen by a Town side.

The home game vs Hull when Grant scored a great goal in that we won 3-0 there was one period of 5 mins of the game when Hull didn't even get close to kicking the ball, we kept it in play passing to every player on the pitch at one point. With the usual "Ole" shouts with every touch from Town fans.

This season does have a bit of the feel of that one about it yes, OST.

Yates does remind me a bit of Thorne TBH.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:42:04 »

A good point, maybe one day you will admit to being wrong, oh mighty one who is never wrong or never ever admits to being wrong.

As always, if you find something in my posts with which you disagree, then I'm always happy to put it to debate, nobody gets everything right.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:45:06 »

As always, if you find something in my posts with which you disagree, then I'm always happy to put it to debate, nobody gets everything right.
No but 99.9% of people admit when they are wrong, you being the one exception.

Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:46:49 »

Remind me...when was the last time you freely admitted that you were wrong?

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:53:59 »

Remind me...when was the last time you freely admitted that you were wrong?

Certainly back in the cricket WC thread when I thought England lacked the bottle to win it. 

However I did also say that I thought the poor long game batting would mean the Ashes were beyond us.
Jilted John

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 12:55:35 »

Let me rephrase that then, the last time you admit being wrong about anything football related.

As I don't read the threads I am not interested in, like cricket or cycling.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 13:06:09 »

Some fans have forgotten the absolutely brilliant quality of the football played in the first couple of seasons of McMahons tenure.

We played so many teams off the park that season, great passing and goals from all over the pitch as well as Allison, Finney and Thorne all scoring more than 1 goal every 2 games.

The memory is obviously overshadowed by the later year of McMahons rule but in that season we played as good football as I have seen by a Town side.

The home game vs Hull when Grant scored a great goal in that we won 3-0 there was one period of 5 mins of the game when Hull didn't even get close to kicking the ball, we kept it in play passing to every player on the pitch at one point. With the usual "Ole" shouts with every touch from Town fans.

This season does have a bit of the feel of that one about it yes, OST.

Yates does remind me a bit of Thorne TBH.

It's interesting you mention that Hull game as for 10 games before that we'd been pretty poor, essentially from about end of Oct through to that Hull game.  However we'd had a stellar start and winning a couple and getting draws meant we just about managed to keep top, when the form picked up.

To give an example in those 10 games we scored 8, three v Swans, before the 3 v Hull they were the 2 leakiest defences and both relegated.  We won 2 drew 6 and lost 2

It was pretty difficult to see that run coming, we'd just had a nice 3-1 at Meadow Lane on the Sat, they were 3rd, and took us 10 points clear, this was backed up by a 0-0 at Dean Court with George Ndah in their side a night remembered more for the fog coming home than the football, by many Town fans.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 13:13:24 »

Let me rephrase that then, the last time you admit being wrong about anything football related.

As I don't read the threads I am not interested in, like cricket or cycling.

Broaden your outlook, the TEF is 25% football 80% bollocks. 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #357 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 13:13:52 »

Yes there was a poor run before the Hull game with just 1 win in 10 games but we still only lost 2 of those, our problem was not scoring enough goals, which happens to even the best sides. Its about how you recover from a run of winless games, something we did very well as we only had 1 more defeat all season from the end of January.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 13:25:57 »

Yes there was a poor run before the Hull game with just 1 win in 10 games but we still only lost 2 of those, our problem was not scoring enough goals, which happens to even the best sides. Its about how you recover from a run of winless games, something we did very well as we only had 1 more defeat all season from the end of January.

This is the point I'm making about if you are serious you need to be winning those games which look winnable, especially if in a lull of form which happens. If you can't win then drawing is good.  Lincoln last season pissed the league but only won 23, there were 7 others who won 20.. Lincoln holding on for a 2-2 at the CG with 9 men, the sort of thing necessary.

A nice little run of wins for us of say another 5 or 6 from now, would go a long way towards success.

Incidentally Jerry Yates has scored 4 in his 4 league games, one in each. I'm wondering if that is unique  Hmmm  I did think of Bobby Barnes scoring in 6 in a row but he was goalless in his first 2.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #359 on: Sunday, September 8, 2019, 14:05:09 »

Peter Eastoe got 4 in his first 3 matches for Town, but then didn't score for the next 4 games.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: