Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 21 years ago today...  (Read 11854 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 11:01:28 »

Still remember it as clear as if it happened 1 year ago, 30,000 people in the march apparently.

My car was covered in 1st not 3rd free stickers.

Very unhappy days indeed but they were still the real "wonder years", football that would have graced any division or even at times europe too, we were playing with class and flair and scoring some fantastic goals, if we had stayed up in the 1st I have no doubts we could have had a few seasons there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 11:05:03 »

I was 12, I don't really remember the game although I was there, but remember hearing on the news on the radio that we had been demoted 2 divisions, was a sad day.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 11:08:17 »

if we had stayed up in the 1st I have no doubts we could have had a few seasons there.

no doubt about that at all, was just before all the money started to roll into the top division, if we'd have stayed there we could be a very different club by now.

still like we all say success is nothing without the bad times, just need the success part to come along soon.
Melksham Red

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 11:14:21 »

The worst feeling i've ever had related to football. We were well and truely fucked over. There's no doubt about it, that team would have easily held it's own in the then 1st division. The 1-0 scoreline against Sunderland doesn't do us justice at all, we fucking battered them. That season is still my favourite and I hold better memories until that point than the 1993 promotion season.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:15:23 »

I was 13. Will probably remain the biggest injustice in the club's history. And god did we batter Sunderland that day.

In the clubs history? That was one of the biggest injustices in English footballing history.

Similar things have happened since, to bigger other clubs and nothing like that has happened.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:18:10 »

I was 8 and didn't go into school the next day.

My teacher said it was ok, she knew why I wasn't in that day Cheesy
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:29:28 »

My Dad always tells me the News of the World ran a story on Swindon after we were done and it ended with the comment next week we tell you how Man Utd did the same thing..Obviously nothing was ever printed.
Does anyone remember this?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:42:52 »

In the clubs history? That was one of the biggest injustices in English footballing history.

Similar things have happened since, to bigger other clubs and nothing like that has happened.

Agreed matey. You're preaching to the already converted. 21 years on and i'm still angry about what happened. Oh the Football League is full of ....
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 12:44:37 »

Am I right in saying our punishment was made by the Football League and nowadays punishments are handed out by the FA?

Not sure the relevance or this or owt.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 13:35:14 »

My car was covered in 1st not 3rd free stickers.

Those '1st not 3rd' GWR Radio stickers were everywhere.  You could tell the town cared.

I wasn't on the march, but remember feeling sickened by the unfairness of the demotion.  (It didn't get any better a few years later when Spurs were given a smack on the wrists for doing the same thing.)  I started keeping a scrap book of newspaper cuttings that summer following the whole saga, which I still have in the loft.  And that September, I started going to games.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 13:41:20 »

I started going to games in 1994 so I don't remember anything about 1990. However, I can imagine how awful it must have been for the club back then. If it were to happen now it would be gutting to say the least.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 13:44:53 »

Worst moment in football ever for me that was.
guy66

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 13:48:23 »

I remember watching Spitting Image when they did the football scores;

Swindon Town 2-Divison3

....that hurt, that did
MichaelPook
Oh stop it Mr Fatbury!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 13:51:17 »

I remember it well - was totally gutted - the World Cup followed on not long after and to be honest I didnt care about it one jot -

On this day itself most of the supporters headed for the CG and actually got into the ground ... christ knows why but they did - I remember chanting for the TV Cameras and my two mates being the little bit in the corner on the ten o clock news

It was the most disgusting thing in football ever that demotion ... not really tempered by the fact we eventually made it a couple of season later - this team would have stayed in the top flight and who knows where we would be now as a club.

It hurt and it still hurts today ....

i actually videoed all the news footage for that season and the aftermath - on a 4 hour video -- if anyone can convert this and wants to borrow it to put on a website I would be willing to hand it over

I used to be Fatbury
china red

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 14:00:32 »

I remember getting on the train at Preston and there were quite a few Sunderland fans heading down from that way to Wembley, they were very quiet on the train back. 

A few weeks later and as many have said one of the biggest piss takes in football history took place.  Tottenham , Manchester and I think Chelsea did similar things around that time without any punishment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: