Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bolton Wanderers - official matchday thread  (Read 42729 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:41:59 »

Swindon Maniac=agreed

Ha ha ha ha ha. Hold on. Ha ha ha ha. What a dipstick talking to yourself.
Flashheart

« Reply #196 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:43:25 »

So if they don't fit our system, surely its a personnel problem. We bought the wrong players.

Or maybe the manager isn't good enough?
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:49:08 »

The point being that any striker would be living on scraps. Even if Ajose was there and managed to put away 100% of all chances he had, we would likely still have come away with a point. Delf tiring is irrelevant, it was clearly his ability I was referring to. The lad has something about him.
We would likely have won that game if he, or a player of similar ilk, not neccesarily quality, was playing. That game was very much a 'first team to score wins'. Bolton were poor as were the last three sides to have come here & won. The overall quality of League 1 is awful this season & our league position speaks volumes about the system we're operating as we have the players to be competing far higher up the table imo.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:53:58 »

Or maybe the manager isn't good enough?

That doesn't help. Can't see Power replacing/sideways moving the golden one any time soon though. But the pressure is mounting so who knows. The rings of "Power, this is shit" from the TE and DRS said it all.

I just don't think we have enough goals in us. Not just because we we are playing badly, but because they don't look up to it.

If a new man comes in, tightens us up, changes us to be more direct it might be enough.

I think a tweet yesterday summed it up regarding the similarities of replacing Austin with Benyon. It has been like that so far.

We all want Norris to do a Fjortoft.
We all want Delfouneso to come good.

Nothing in their previous goalscoring record suggests that'll happen
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:57:02 by Batch » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #199 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 11:58:09 »

What do you mean it doesn't help?

It may well be that the current manager is simply not up to the job.
Flashheart

« Reply #200 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:00:45 »

I spent some time yesterday going back through match threads from this time last year. There were quite a few comments lamenting just how ineffective Ajose was..... 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:04:11 »

In other news, Pox 0 Wimbledon 3 at half time
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:05:11 »

What do you mean it doesn't help?

It may well be that the current manager is simply not up to the job.

It was just a flippant way of agreeing with you. I have no confidence in Williams and his coaching by numbers methods. I've been pretty pissed off with his/our lack of addressing our defensive frailties since the playoff season (yes Cooper was in charge then).

I do have sympathy of the constant dilution in quality of his squad though. And he and Embleton can certainly see what's going wrong as proven in the radio post match interviews.

That doesn't change my view on the strikers, I think both things are broken
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:05:49 »

Hahaha, imagine getting stuffed by AFC Wimble...oh

Actually, I think we'll get a point there. Don't know why.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:15:24 »

I spent some time yesterday going back through match threads from this time last year. There were quite a few comments lamenting just how ineffective Ajose was..... 

And rightly so. But we knew he could score goals at this level, and thus it proved. He has a 1 in 3 record.

What bit of Norris (~1 in 5 - not as bad as feared) and  Delfonsou (1 in 10, or 16 goals in 8 seasons) makes that a fair comparison?

The midfield are going to have to do a hell of a lot more in the goalscoring department to compensate!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:32:17 »

Some views from Bolton

Both defences were in control, theirs especially. The difference seemed to be that they had a top keeper and always had players in a rearguard position whereas we had to sprint back a few times. That said, except on a couple of occasions, we never really looked in trouble at the back. Much improved in that area. Ameobi is a lot quicker thinking than a few of those around him and I reckon Clough could have benefited by playing off him on the right side. Proctor had a touch like a J.C.B playing ping pong and much of Madine's work in the air had no support around him. Vela, as said by others, was solid as a rock today and Wheater is having an Indian summer.

Since its close to my neck of the woods, I went along with a friend. My first game since PP came in and I'm astounded at how much worse the 'quality' of football is from last season. I k ow it's league 1 and all that but it was still a bit of a shock to see.

Anyway I thought we played fairly well, and any result other than a win would have been an absolute injustice. Their goalkeeper was sensational and did very well to keep out 4 or 5 clear efforts from us, Henry and clough having the best of the efforts and Im disappointed that they didn't do more with them. I can think of maybe one good chance that Swindon had? And I'm not sure where the beeb got their 60% possession to Swindon from, I felt it was nearer 50/50.

No worries. Was a great day out, the Swindon fans are lovely (had a good discussion with some fans before the game at a neutral pub, and after in the bar on the train home), but I thought about 20-30 of our 'fans' behaved in a ridiculous and cringeworthy manner. I've been to a few away games recently and they were the worst behaved; the way they treated some of the staff, their behaviour, and some of the stuff they were chanting (why the IRA, they haven't really been a 'thing' for 15, 20 years? Besides Bolton have no ties to it besides the bombing in Manchester) were really embarassing. Even sections of our fans turned on them.

We've been gash for 1/2 dozen games yet we're top 4 we can get out of this league first time up.

At least we created some chances today

That was still dogshit. Though a win by a scruffy goal is still a win. Swindon are truely awful. A decent side would have put 3 or 4 past them.

Still struggling to do the basics like passing, still can't score, Henry, Clough & Proctor all guilty of glaring misses.

Some God awful tactics being deployed. WTF is that splitting the centre backs when we have a goal kick? Remember doing that under Deadly Dougie, it was a disaster then, can see no good to it now!

Still too slow to move the ball forward, though yesterday was better than the last few games. Could be worse, could be a Swindon fan, they're not a happy bunch!

We played well. Probably best we've played this season. Only issue was missing clear chances. Lack of a natural goal scorer will cost us promotion. 
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 12:36:16 »

Wow, you must have some serious time on your hands. Anyway that's nothing we didn't already know, Ajose would often be totally ineffective throughout games but pop up with an important goal or two. It"s what good strikers do. Charlie Austin was very similar in his 1st season, whereby there was a marked improvement in his all round game by his 2nd season, effectively why he kicked on & Ajose hasn't.

Flashheart

« Reply #207 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 13:12:25 »

FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 13:17:08 »

What exactly are you disagreeing with there?

inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 13:18:50 »

This is great news. I hope Wimbledon up the pace in the second half.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: